LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Optimal Driver for GeForce Do 7400

Guest Dem0

Just bought the XPS M1210 with the GeForce Go 7400. Any recommendations for the optimal driver?

Search for the FAQ... and read it.

The first one because it solves a lot of issues with games, adds PureVideo acceleration for H264 and also Oblivion.

The second one does all that plus allows to have access to all the mobile functions such as PowerMizer. The 84.25 would run at full speed even when unplugged from the main.

I have an HP pavillion dv8230, with nForce drivers 84.54

Should I update to 84.63? I havent really found many issues with games yet, but Im really busy with school so i havent tested yet... I plan on playing WoW as soon as the semester is done lol

Any thoughts??

In the very first lines of the Optimal driver FAQ there is something like... if you are happy with your current driver why would you want to change? My advise... stick with your current driver unless you face an issue with a given game or if you need a new feature added in a more recent driver.

The first one because it solves a lot of issues with games, adds PureVideo acceleration for H264 and also Oblivion.

The second one does all that plus allows to have access to all the mobile functions such as PowerMizer. The 84.25 would run at full speed even when unplugged from the main.

Thanks for the advice, Fabrice. One more question though - doesn't the newer 91.33 drivers have all the fixes that the 84.25 has and it is faster with games and benchmarks?

Thanks for the advice, Fabrice. One more question though - doesn't the newer 91.33 drivers have all the fixes that the 84.25 has and it is faster with games and benchmarks?

Yes but the newer driver comes with newer stuff that cause the loss of features. The loss of these features can be really annoying... for me being unable to use custom resolutions, PowerMizer energy saving and suspend modes is not acceptable on my laptop.

But if you use your PC always plugged the suspend and PowerMizer can go down the drain.

On older hardware the new driver cause more issues than they solve. Check out the issue solving by geforce family... the last issue game fixed for a Geforce 2 the base of Geforce 4 Go is REALLY REALLY old.

IMHO the new control panel is a really PITA... the lack of custom resolutions on the 91.xx drivers made me roll back to 84.25 on my desktop 7600 GT. As I play on a 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor I need custom 16/10 resolutions so my video games won't crawl to the point where they are unplayable.

IMHO the new control panel is a really PITA... the lack of custom resolutions on the 91.xx drivers made me roll back to 84.25 on my desktop 7600 GT. As I play on a 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor I need custom 16/10 resolutions so my video games won't crawl to the point where they are unplayable.

Agreed that PITA. But I'm very surprised about your problem with custom resolutions - made just a 1760x1100 with 91.33 and no problems to use it !?

Agreed that PITA. But I'm very surprised about your problem with custom resolutions - made just a 1760x1100 with 91.33 and no problems to use it !?

That is the case with the "official" driver from nZone on my desktop. Mileage may vary...