LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quanta KN1. Troublesome upgrade?

Steinar Lundemo

Hi!

I have a quanta KN1 (6600 go, type II), but the graphic performance is not as good as it used to be :)

But I have understood quantas have their own "unique" mxm slot? And the second question: What gpu do I eventually to choose from?

Edited by Steinar Lundemo

Hi!

I have a quanta KN1 (6600 go, type II), but the graphic performance is not as good as it used to be :)

But I have understood quantas have their own "unique" mxm slot? And the second question: What gpu do I eventually to choose from?

The mechanics are not a problem, but Quanta apparently uses some SW/Bios protection.

Basically, currently nothing goes.

• 5 weeks later...
The mechanics are not a problem, but Quanta apparently uses some SW/Bios protection.

Basically, currently nothing goes.

Thanks ice-tea :) You are the guru! Nothing new in this case?

But is there any way i can contact quanta with this "problem"? And maybe but cards from them? >Dark messiah of might and magic< is just around the corner, and I want more eye-candy :)

Nothing to report, sorry.

I ám working on a 7600 Type II (and it looks like it's getting closer) with a 'normal' vBios. So if it's only the vBios that's barfed up, this may work.

But it's NOT for the coming month or so.

Ok:)

Thanks for the update. Ill check on the frontpage for details about the 7600 when you fix it :)

Nothing to report, sorry.

I ám working on a 7600 Type II (and it looks like it's getting closer) with a 'normal' vBios. So if it's only the vBios that's barfed up, this may work.

But it's NOT for the coming month or so.

I wonder if people with the Quanta MXM cards are willing to flash their cards with a normal BIOS, say a standard desktop BIOS. I just wish we can get MXM cards with standard reference BIOS's. Imagine getting someone with a Quanta MXM to flash it with a standard BIOS and it worked? Then that person could flash Quanta cards into normal reference MXM modules and then sell them to us! :)

• 8 months later...

hi. I have been abscent for a while, so I'm just wondering if there's a hope for my quanta?

Well, yeah.

A 7600 was shipped to a costumer and he reported it worked. Unfortunately, there was a mechancial issue that kept the card from being correctly mounted. I got the card back and made some changes on it. Stupidly enough I didn't test the card before sending it out again. To make a long story shor: it did fit but it did not work which was most likely because of a incorrectly implemented change as the card was malfucntioning on a 'normal' MXM notebook as well.

Since then I changed t suppliers for this card and this should solve the mechanical problem altogether. I also was able to drop the price a bit (to 250?). Now I'm only looking for someone to test and write the guide :)

Ice=Tea

thanks for the update. If I am lucky, i'll swap my laptop with my parents laptop (Santa rosa with geforce m 8600 512mb card:))