LaptopVideo2Go Forums

SLI for low power instead?

sn0wl

Laptop Logic has scored some insider information on the one of the projects brewing in NVIDIA's secret labs. According to sources close to the company, NVIDIA is working on a new kind of SLI technology for notebook designs. Instead of pairing two identical GPUs for increased performance, NVIDIA is going for a pairing of integrated and discrete GPUs for a balance of power and performance.

The concept of pairing up a low-power integrated GPU with a high-power discrete GPU is nothing new. Sony has already treaded through these waters with its VAIO SZ lineup which features Intel GMA950 and NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 GPUs. This setup requires an external switch to make the transition and also requires a system reboot. NVIDIA's "SLI Power" on the other hand will be done through a combination of hardware and software, but will not require a reboot of the machine to take place.

Considering the complexities involved with Windows XP graphics drivers and the additional level of complication added by Vista's new Windows Driver Display Model (WDDM), NVIDIA surely has its work cut out in making the transition a smooth one. There's no telling how much such a feature would add to the cost of a notebook, but it probably won't come cheap.

News from: DailyTech

This solution is great at 2 levels... the obvious one is the battery saving... the second is that in the end we will get rid of the "Dude where is my 7400?" from dumb average users.

The high power GPU will be always on because of Vista AeroGlass. The lower GPU will be used only for legacy OSes (wXP and Linux) and Vista lame non Aero mode.

ps: why would someone upgrade to Vista is it cant run the eye candy Aero Glass mode?

Guest Guest
This solution is great at 2 levels... the obvious one is the battery saving... the second is that in the end we will get rid of the "Dude where is my 7400?" from dumb average users.

The high power GPU will be always on because of Vista AeroGlass. The lower GPU will be used only for legacy OSes (wXP and Linux) and Vista lame non Aero mode.

ps: why would someone upgrade to Vista is it cant run the eye candy Aero Glass mode?

Nvidia should start instead on making new hardware,....begin to SUPPORT the actual one, like the GF 6GO Series (I've a 6800Go ULTRA)!! like ATI already does!!

Andy

What is wrong with the Geforce 6 Go family? I have one and I'm quite happy with it. Video apps, 3D modeling apps, 3D games work perfectly.

You bought your graphic card with a laptop... ask the laptop manufacturer for support... not nVidia.

Guest Guest

The fun thing is that I think myself this is already released! Ive got myself a Asus A6T laptop 2 weeks ago with nVidia GeForce 7600 Go 256MB and nForce 410/430 (not sure which one, with 6100/6150 integrated GFX). When having powermizer in the maximum energy saving i see this with rivatuner:

Mem from 400 (800) to 137 (270) MHz.

Core from 450 to 0 MHz!!!

So what i guess is that i go over to teh integrated 6100/6150 while using teh memory of the 7600.

Alienware Area51 laptops already have something like this...Theres a switch that lets you go from Intel's bulls*** excuse for integrated graphics and a dedicated GPU. You have to reboot to use it but still its worth it if your going on vacation and dont plan on doing any graphic intensive things.