LaptopVideo2Go Forums
Computer Potato

v95.61 VISTA 32bit | VISTA 5472

Fabrice Roux

There is no problem with desktop GPUs those are supported by nVidia directly. Until now unless you have a recent 7x00 the official mobile driver support is recieved thru the OEM.

Vista is no different... the build 5472 displays 3 categories of INF files related to the nVidia GPU: Old desktop GPU (read pre FX), new desktop GPU (read post FX) and little recent mobile GPUs. From what we see Siemens didn't release an inf for this build... too lazy, too difficult... who knows.

Seriously people drooling on the graphic interface for more that 3 minutes should visit the nearest doctor. It swallows 100Mb of RAM for some transparency and a couple of 3D effects on windows. Also keep in mind that you need at least an FX GPU to access the fancy eye candy mode.

®®®
Sorry, I don't know if there's a direct link to the v72.30. I usually use the Windows Update from VISTA. Maybe you have to initiate the check manually. But for this driver hold in mind: it is a XP driver. So neighter aero glass and all the fine stuff nor direct x 9 will work.

:) , can you confirm that v72.30 XP32bit is used in Windows VISTA 32bit?

We found 72.30 already in the beginning of 2005, i doubt it includes support for VISTA or VISTA supports 14 months old drivers.

Guest rp
:) , can you confirm that v72.30 XP32bit is used in Windows VISTA 32bit?

We found 72.30 already in the beginning of 2005, i doubt it includes support for VISTA or VISTA supports 14 months old drivers.

Hey what to confirm? MS offers a driver having this version number via (VISTA)-MS-Update. I always try to be as precicely as possible (as a german one could be), but may be this is only as precicely as MS is, sorry.

Well, what I know, is, that the driver v72.30 is a XP driver modded by MS to fit into VISTA. Neigher there is a correlation to the age of the driver nor there is any statement given by me. (for our germans: Was MS da anbietet, ist nur ein XP Treiber. Es werden keinerlei VISTA-Gimicks unterstützt. Und, ja, mit diesem Treiber könnt ihr grade so nette Bilderchen auf dem Desktop anzeigen... also keine Hektik...)

®®®

:)

Gut um Klarheit zu schaffen: kannst die Treiber Dateien von v72.30 in Deinem Vista finden, packen udn auf YouSendIt.com hochladen. Ich werde die dann mit dem 72.30 XP Treiber Bit für Bit vergleichen. Mal gucken, was MS da hingeschustert hat :)

Guest Guest
There is no problem with desktop GPUs those are supported by nVidia directly. Until now unless you have a recent 7x00 the official mobile driver support is recieved thru the OEM.

Vista is no different... the build 5472 displays 3 categories of INF files related to the nVidia GPU: Old desktop GPU (read pre FX), new desktop GPU (read post FX) and little recent mobile GPUs. From what we see Siemens didn't release an inf for this build... too lazy, too difficult... who knows.

Seriously people drooling on the graphic interface for more that 3 minutes should visit the nearest doctor. It swallows 100Mb of RAM for some transparency and a couple of 3D effects on windows. Also keep in mind that you need at least an FX GPU to access the fancy eye candy mode.

Ok, taking the thread (I can't let it be). Of course, there are some GPUs that may be supported. (I take your mention as an ironic one). What I ment is, that MS initiated the beta program to find out as many as possible bugs within their os. So, simply following my thoughts: I want to check, if my application is looking fine under VISTA at a LAPTOP (beleave me, it's not uncertain).

May be you can not imagine.

Fabrice Roux

Unless your application uses DirectX, OpenGL or the graphic card... you will have no problem to try it with Vista. If it requires one of the previous item you might want to test it on a desktop graphic card first.

SaternKnight

So to install this driver in Beta 2 and later RC1, would one just extract the files to say C:\NVidia\95.61, and then copy Pete's modded INF, and use a manual installation (the "have disk" method), then everything will install ok... from only a 2MB file??? :)

How is it, that the latest drivers from Nvidia are like 35+MBs, and your drivers are just a tad over 2MBs... can someone explain this to me, or should I download the entire folder from the sendit site that someone posted earlier?

SaternKnight

Fabrice Roux

Official nVidia drivers come with a lot of crap fat around them namely the setup installer, nView, multi-language support and control panel. nVidia could release much smaller driver with just the RAW support of DirectX and OpenGL... but it would be a huge loss for ergonomy.

Currently for Vista the latest driver only include DirectX support... (I haven't tried OpenGL but I kinda doubt that it will use the GPU) and no crap around it... NO CONTROL PANEL (therefore no international languages) and so on.

You can download the large archive but it's just the same DLL in 10 different directories. Keep in mind that Vista is in beta... therefore the driver support is light... (direct translation of the french expression) you'll be alone with your ###### and a knife. :)

mobilenvidia

Vista drivers like this one have no 3D acceleration or help files, hence they are so small

Fabrice Roux

Anandtech posted a test of the 5472 build of Vista, here is a quote:

Note: Vista 5472 shipped with a newer version of Nvidia's ForceWare drivers, 95.61. Since we can't install these on Vista Beta 2, only the tests on 5472 were done with the 95.61 drivers as a compromise to include the performance improvement offered by more mature Vista drivers.
Unfortunately, the rest of Vista doesn't show the same improvement. Looking at some of our gaming benchmarks, neither 3dMark 2006 or Half-Life 2 improved with 5472 and the newer Nvidia drivers under normal settings. However the catastrophic performance drop that previously resulted from using anti-aliasing with Half-Life 2 does not occur under 5472, which is great news that in spite of a general performance improvement progress is being made, one that particularly benefits the owners of high-end systems.

Link to the benchmark page.

Fabrice Roux
Vista drivers like this one have no 3D acceleration or help files, hence they are so small

There is DirectX acceleration... benchmark results.

mobilenvidia
There is DirectX acceleration... benchmark results.

Wonder how this is achieved ?

Looking at 88.61 and the 3D acceleration files are seperate.

I doubt that NV have put a full driver in just those 2 files that come with WDDM drivers as 95.61

But who knows, I remember a very long time ago once that I was wrong :)

Guest dv2000t_buyer

Is there any hope of getting modded_inf support for the Go 7200 that's in the HP dv2000t? I want to buy that laptop with the Go 7200 graphics option but the lack of a Vista driver is holding me back.

mobilenvidia
Is there any hope of getting modded_inf support for the Go 7200 that's in the HP dv2000t? I want to buy that laptop with the Go 7200 graphics option but the lack of a Vista driver is holding me back.

I must get onto this, I have quite a few GPU's to add.

But it all needs to be done manually :)

As soon as I have a few hours in a row I'll get onto it.

Fabrice Roux
Will the modified INF force driver installation on Vista for my Ti4200 8x AGP?

This card is considered old legacy hardware by Vista... since its a desktop card you don't need the modded INF.

mobilenvidia
Will the modified INF force driver installation on Vista for my Ti4200 8x AGP?

NVIDIA_NV28.DEV_0281.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X "

If it's this one then a big yes :) can't guarantee results though as Vista is very finneky

Arkanine

I installed these drivers to my go fx 5650 card and my laptop keeps crashing,what are the latest drivers i can use with this card??

Guest Guest

I installed these drivers on Vista Beta 2 Build 5472.winmain_idx01.

The drivers `work`, in other words I get a display but it seems like everytime the explorer.exe application tries to do the 3D effects it crashes. I did manage to recover without even restarting simply by logging out and logging back in then resetting to Vista's default drivers. It's still annoying that this very capable card won't work with Vista just because of drivers.

Fabrice Roux

You don't need to install anything on the build 5472 as this driver came with this Vista build. :)

andycwk
I installed these drivers on Vista Beta 2 Build 5472.winmain_idx01.

The drivers `work`, in other words I get a display but it seems like everytime the explorer.exe application tries to do the 3D effects it crashes. I did manage to recover without even restarting simply by logging out and logging back in then resetting to Vista's default drivers. It's still annoying that this very capable card won't work with Vista just because of drivers.

kewl :) but how do I get hold of builds between the public beta 2 and RC1 ? does anyone have a link for people that don't have a technet/MSDN subscription?

Fabrice Roux

Google it... and don't ask for link to that kind of software here.

andycwk
kewl :) but how do I get hold of builds between the public beta 2 and RC1 ? does anyone have a link for people that don't have a technet/MSDN subscription?

erm thanks for the helpfull (not) comment..

As it is in beta... I persumed that it would be ok to ask.. sorry for upsetting anyone :)

Fabrice Roux
As it is in beta... I persumed that it would be ok to ask.. sorry for upsetting anyone :)

The open beta 2 was available... I suppose you have it. The next builds are available thru official suscriber programs. If you're not a member of those programs it's illegal to download/use those builds.

THEREFORE giving links to download the build 5472 or more here would be illegal. Is that difficult to understand?

If you can't Google it... there are some P2P clients that have search engines...

andycwk
The open beta 2 was available... I suppose you have it. The next builds are available thru official suscriber programs. If you're not a member of those programs it's illegal to download/use those builds.

THEREFORE giving links to download the build 5472 or more here would be illegal. Is that difficult to understand?

If you can't Google it... there are some P2P clients that have search engines...

Wow :) !!!

Sorry... you seem to have missunderstood me... as a developer... I don't condone the iligal use of sofware either... as I previously said... I automatically persumed that additional builds of the beta where as legal to use as BETA 2 was... I was hoping that instead of me spendign time looking for a difficulty to get at section of the MS web site... a kind user on this forum might know the appropriate url thats all !!!

As far as using P2P clients to download a zero day version of the beta -- I would deafeantly not condone this behaviour...

I can obtain newer betas through the subscription that work has, however I was trying to avoid that as it would put me in the firing line when work start to implement the release version (I have enough to do with my own work)..

Again... I appologise for apparently upsetting you Fabrice and for breaking any forum/site rules by asking an inosent question that has obviously been construed as something sinister!!!

Kind Regards Andy