LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Prey on Geforce FX 5600 Go

Guest lee

:) i have a sony vaio GRT996ZP- 1 gig ram. It has a Geforce FX Go5600 (i have 1600x1200 desktop size will i get a good speed to run at this resolution do you think?)

I have just downloaded the demo of "Prey". I want to update standard drivers etc to this card. I know this must bore you chaps as my laptop is old now but what is the best driver etc do you think?

I looked at laptop to go a long time back, my god havn't you all grown up for the better.

The problem i have is how do you work out which driver to go for now?

Thanks in advice i really like the look of this prey game! (if only at 800x600, crap and bluuuured!)

Lee

MODERATION: I move the question to the proper area. It has nothing to do in the FAQ zone. Fabrice

Prey is really stressing the PC hardware... even the top cards of 2006. Your graphic card is below the minimum requirements.

Prey minimum requirements:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP with latest service pack installed

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz or AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor

RAM: 512MB System RAM

Video Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB video card with latest manufacturer drivers

CD-ROM: DVD-ROM

Hard Drive: 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard drive space

Sound card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card

The DirectX 9.0c cards starts with Geforce 6... the concept of minimum requirement is VAGUE... they don't give you the resolution and minimum framerate you could expect. From what I know of the game it must be something like 800x600 @ 15 fps if not 10 fps.

There is little you can do to boost your performance on your PC. Using hardware below those minimum specs will give slower refreshes.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabrice you need to read up some more, the demo runs just fine on DX8 and 9 cards, and probably DX 7 cards too, has options to run without using pixel shaders for example.

I would say a GF4 Ti (equivilent) or better card (64MB or better) and a P4 or better with 512MB or more RAM would run just fine.

I beat the game on my Quadro, runs smooth here with mostly medium settingsg and medium shaders and every graphics options turned on, except AA, AF, and vsynce.

Any driver or computer that runs Doom3 should run this.

I even get all the glow effects and stuff on my card just fine and dandy.

Whatever good 7x or 8x driver on your laptop should run Prey.

The game even lists it works with GF4 and GF FX cards, as well as GF3s.

Fabrice you need to read up some more,

The page I ended up on last time only showed the text that I quoted in my post so there was nothing to read besides that.

Now on this page Prey support. When I get incomplete information, the best I can give is incomplete advise. The good thing about OpenGL games is that when there is the option to dump the shaders eye candy you can run the game on pretty old GPU. :) But runing the game doesn't mean enjoyable experience. I played Doom 3 on a Ti 4600 at 1024x768... from what I heard prey is a TAD unfriendlier than Doom 3 on the hardware.

System Requirements

Minimum

CPU Speed: Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz / AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor

RAM: 512MB system RAM

Video Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB video card with latest manufacturer drivers (see supported chipsets below)

Drive: 8X CD-ROM (standard edition), DVD-ROM (Limited Collector�s Edition)

Hard Drive: 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard drive space

Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP with latest service pack installed

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included on disc)

Recommended

CPU Speed: Intel Pentium 4 2.5Ghz / AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor

RAM: 1GB system RAM

Video Card: ATI Radeon X800 series or higher video card with latest manufacturer drivers

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series sound card

Internet: Broadband internet connection or LAN required for multiplayer

Supported Video Card Chipsets

ATI:

ATI Radeon 9600 series, ATI Radeon 9700 series, ATI Radeon 9800 series, ATI Radeon X300 series, ATI Radeon X550 series, ATI Radeon X600 series, ATI Radeon X700 series, ATI Radeon X800 series, ATI Radeon X1300 series, ATI Radeon X1600 series, ATI Radeon X1800 series, ATI Radeon X1900 series, or better with latest manufacturer drivers.

NVIDIA:

NVIDIA GeForce3/Ti series, NVIDIA GeForce4/Ti, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 5900 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series, or better with latest manufacturer drivers.