LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Battery life with new drivers

sandman55

Hi again,

So, I'm using 77.77 with my Geforce 4 420Go, and it works great!

I have two laptop batteries, one normal for home & a high power for travelling. Since I swapped to 77.77 from the original driver, it "feels" that both batteries are not lasting as long as before, doing the same work. (Mostly office stuff & email, surfing.)

Powermizer bars don't work, but I have the Toshiba Power Saver utility running to control cpu speed, display brightness etc etc (I've always used this).

Both batteries are not brand new, so is it just coincidence, or would the newer driver actually use more power than the old one?

Thanks in advance,

Sandman

Being unable to use PowerMizer means that the battery life will suck big time. In my case the PowerMizer issues are limited to that I have to manually switch it's state. (it doesn't do it automatically as it should)

So your solution to have a better battery mileage is to manually set the powermode to energy saving... it's a real PITA but it works. Plus Notebook Hardware Control will control PowerMizer state in the next release...

Being unable to use PowerMizer means that the battery life will suck big time. In my case the PowerMizer issues are limited to that I have to manually switch it's state. (it doesn't do it automatically as it should)

So your solution to have a better battery mileage is to manually set the powermode to energy saving... it's a real PITA but it works. Plus Notebook Hardware Control will control PowerMizer state in the next release...

Hi Fabrice, thanks for the reply

Won't the Toshiba power controls replace the PowerMizer option though? The XP power options are disabled with the Toshiba utility running (All is blanked out, and it tells you to use the Tosh one), and cpu speed etc is reduced as this utility says it is. Or is there another place where I also need to adjust a setting?

P.S. Although the sliders don't show in PowerMizer, it says it is set to Maximum Power Savings

Cheers

Sandman

Edited by sandman55

TPS only overrides CPU power settings if there are any, not GPU.

TPS only overrides CPU power settings if there are any, not GPU.

Hi,

OK, understood - so excuse my ignorance, but how can I adjust the GPU settings, if necessary?

Cheers

Sandman

This would by handled by Powermizer but since it doesnt work for you, Try un-installing your drivers and then re-installing them. That should fix it hopefully.

This would by handled by Powermizer but since it doesnt work for you, Try un-installing your drivers and then re-installing them. That should fix it hopefully.

I've read in the Forum that PowerMizer never has the control bars with 77.77 . Also, I've installed it myself several times as I've tried it against the original & 72.14, but never got the bars to show. They do with 72.14, but video playback is pretty bad with that driver.

Back again,

I've re-installed 72.14, but even with PowerMizer set to maximum performance & on mains power, video playback is definitely more stuttery than 77.77.

I'll do a comparison battery life later, but is there any way to access the PowerMizer settings in 77.77 apart from the (missing) adjustment bars?

Thanks again for any help anyone can give

Cheers

sandman