LaptopVideo2Go Forums

what happens with Final Fantasy XI

Ediol

Hi!

I have been playing FFXI very well on my desktop PC (AthlonXP3200+, 1024@400, Ati 9600XT 256MB), but now I want to play on my laptop (Amilo 3438G 1,86/2GB@533/go6800 256MB) and both benchmark and game runs very slowly (10fps) using performance config. I've tried 70's drivers and now I am using 91.31.

I updated bios to 5.41.02.39.60.

What happens? why is so slow that game if I can play Doom3 (ultra quality)?

Do I need a special driver or patch?

Thanks!

Edited by Ediol

Givent the game requirements... you should get MUCH better frame rates.

Check the temperature of your GPU. FinalFantasy can cause an exessive heat... which leads your GPU to switch to its safety frequency. Honestly I doubt that this is the main cause.

Check that VSYNC is off in the game... turn off anti-aliasing...

Given that the game is a MMO... you probably already have all the existing patches installed. As a last resort disable your soundcard.

I've done all u have written... and fps have increased to... 12!

3DMarkt05 shows 3200... with new 91.37 XG. I think it is a low rate... but all games i've tried except B&W and FFXI runs very well.

Any other solution?

P.S. Thanks 4 ur fast reply Fabrice :)

Use the reference driver 84.25... in my eyes the 9x.xx serie (right now) is just problems in a can... unless you have a 7950 GX2 there is no point using this driver family.

I saw you mentioned XG (Xtreme G drivers), you should not use those and stick to mod INFs here, I would not be surprise if a tweaked driver ran some games really bad.

I also was alarmed when you said you tried the 91.37 drivers, that is ONLY meant for the SLI cards for beta testing purposes of Quad SLI and the like, you should not use that on a laptop. (use 91.33 instead if you must use a 91 driver)

Im now trying 84.25 driver with modded inf. 3DMark05 shows now 3325.. a few more points(gpu at 357/666 @63ºC).

FFXI Benchmark is still very slow; I can't see any difference between these 3 driver versions,.. and I've tried high quality mode and it runs as slow as low quality mode. Dunno what can be the reason. I've tried resolution, quality config,...

My Ati 9600XT (250/300) runs FFXI perfectly

Can it be a compatibility problem? Any other advice?

Thanks again!

Disable the soundcard and unplug USB devices.

Smells like you will have to perform a virgin animal sacrifice. (start with a chicken or a goat)

I have a hamster... but i dunno if it is virgin... xD.

I have contacted FFXI tech service by mail... maybe they can solve the problem.

I hope they dont say "u cant play FFXI on a laptop"

Hmm you might get an even stupider answer from the support... "what do you call laptop?"

In order to reach the maximum players, MMO game usually don't require top notch hardware. Given the game requirement it should work on your laptop. :)

Have you tried the driver 84.25? You should stay away from 9x.xx

I installed 84.25 yesterday. 3DMarkt runs better... but Final Fckment XI doesn't.

I have realised that if i select high resolution and quality, it's the same fps that if I select low resolution... and that seems to me that there is maybe an incompatibility with my card...

I'm sure that there are enough free resources (1,83/2GB DDR2/160HDD), then it can be the game... or the graphics card!

Do u know about the S.M.A.R.T. bug of all 3438G? Maybe it is the reason, but I doubt it.. I can play Doom3, HeroesV,... very well on top resolution and quality!

IT RUNS CORRECTLY NOW!! I downloaded yesterday DirectX SDK to continue with my work during holidays. Then I entered DX Control Panel to select debug mode for D3D and... ¡Debug mode and max debug level was selected! I changed it to Release and FFXI runs better than on my desktop PC, and 3DMarkt score is 4215.

Thanks for ur help men!

Debug DLL means that there are debug traces... which leads to poorer performance in the end.

Did you use a recent DirectX 9.0c runtime?

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem as this guy but i'm not really up on everything your saying in this fourm. My FPS is around 10 max. He said he found a fix but i really don't understand what he did to fix it XD. Is there a patch or driver he installed to make it better? Also i'm running vista which seem to make most problems on these games.

Nvidia Geforce 6150

2GB ram

250 Harddrive

processor is about 2ghzs

What did this guy download and do to fix this :/

Ok i didn't fix this by downloading anything. I don't know if this is an HP thing, Vista, or the Gefore 6150 but it seems to default to only 64bit for the Graphic card, where as it can do 128bits. Restart your computer and press F10 to go into your bios (Or whichever is the button for your computer) and change your Gcard's memory from 64 to 128. Then ask yourself why it was set to 64 by default.......

Ok i didn't fix this by downloading anything. I don't know if this is an HP thing, Vista, or the Gefore 6150 but it seems to default to only 64bit for the Graphic card, where as it can do 128bits. Restart your computer and press F10 to go into your bios (Or whichever is the button for your computer) and change your Gcard's memory from 64 to 128. Then ask yourself why it was set to 64 by default.......

when iam entering the bios its impossible for me to find gcard settings ? where can i find them ?

when iam entering the bios its impossible for me to find gcard settings ? where can i find them ?

having the same issue here barely getting 10 fps, and cant find the gcard settings in bios, im using a 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 8600gt, 3gb ram, os vista 32 bit, asus g1s

• 3 weeks later...
I'm having the same problem as this guy but i'm not really up on everything your saying in this fourm. My FPS is around 10 max. He said he found a fix but i really don't understand what he did to fix it XD. Is there a patch or driver he installed to make it better? Also i'm running vista which seem to make most problems on these games.

Nvidia Geforce 6150

2GB ram

250 Harddrive

processor is about 2ghzs

What did this guy download and do to fix this :/

i dont think theres anything wrong with your gpu drivers. FFXI is running on a dx8.1 atm, and also your running on vista..

if u dont play a lot of DX10 games then you sould try installing xp "if you dont mind xp that is", it jus might solve your 10-12 fps problem. im running on a xfx geforce 8800 gts 640mb with all my settings to max on ffxi and it still drops to 15-20 fps at places with a lot of people like dynamis,AH,etc. also theres an expansion coming out soon "wings of the goddess" i heard this might fix everyones problems with low frame rate, i think they are releasing dx9 with it now =) not sure but lets hope.

yea im guessing that ill have to go to XP seeing how there is not much support for it on vista. and your FPS of 15-20 i would take in dyna seeing how right now im getting 1.5-3 in dyna. it really pisses me off cus when im looking at a wall or there is no one in my screen im getting max fps but as soon as i see one person i drop to 15 or lower. also i have been reading up a lot on WoG and have not seen anything about it comming out for DX9 if so that would really be nice, but all i have really been doing is reading up on the in game stuff not the other stuff.

• 1 month later...

unfortunately the expansion disk fixed nothing, they just did some work around in dx8.1 to let users run the game in a windower. so for now xp only for that game if you have a nvidia card + core 2 duo ;;

Guest Guester

Sadly these drivers doesn't include anything for 8600M GT. I guess I am stuck on 2-4 FPS Dynamis runs. Brand spanking new computer and can't run a 6 year old game properly... pretty sad.