Support for 1680x1050 resolution

ChemGear

Laptop Make/Model: Toshiba Portege M200

Graphics Card: GeForce FX Go 5200 32M/64M

Current Driver Version: 84.25

Last Useable Driver Version: Factory Default

Operating System: Windows XP Tablet 2005

An accurate description of the issue at hand:

I am trying to get 1680x1050 at 60Hz on my Dell 2007FPW 20" monitor. I have made some progress, but not quite there yet.

I downloaded the modded inf file and driver for 84.25. This driver seems to work great with my computer in the sense that there are no bugs thus far. The native resolution on my laptop screen is 1400x1050. Before the install of the modded driver, I was only able to get 1400x1050 on my Dell LCD. After the install I can go up to 1600x1024. If I enter the custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel as 1680x1050 I get an error box that says "The Custom Resolution Cannot be Added." Also tried to use PowerStrip to set a custom resolution but did not work either. Is there a way around this? Any recommendations would be great.

Cheers!

This resolution is probably not supported in the 84.25 driver code. At least not for external devices. It *might* be added in a later driver release. Which means you have to browse all published NVIDIA Release Notes and look for the Issues Resolved section if they have added it.

Or try asking in the NVIDIA forums or DELL which driver support the 1680x1050 resolution.

AFAIR 1920x1200 works on both DVI and VGA on the 84.30. So I guess that other lower 16/10 resolutions are supported.

:) That would be a try.

OK, good news is it is working. 1680x1050 at 60Hz on my Dell external monitor and 1400x1050 on my M200.

Bad news is...I am not sure how! So I took the above advice and installed 84.30 with the inf enhanced to allow Dell 24" (not sure why...but I did). When I installed the driver it was total crap on my machine. It was really lagged and the windows alerts at the bottom right of the screen were showing up in the top left. Wierd stuff.

So I went back to the 84.25 setup and it prompted me to first uninstall the 84.30 and upon restart resume installation of the 84.25. When I came back to windows....I was in 320x280 or something rediculous like that. I went into the display properties (my mouse arrow was about 1" wide) and set the external monitor to 1680x1050 and it let me.

I have no idea...but hey...it works right?