LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New Laptop

smax

Ok, now it's the time that I'm going off to college and I ned to replace my 4 year old laptop, and I want a few suggestions.

Honestly, I think I'll end up getting a new MacBook Pro when they release the Core 2 in them and fix a few more issues, but I'm keeping my options open.

So, here's what I want:

A laptop that has a bit of muscle (Core 2 processor when they're available, fairly goood graphics card)

Something that isn't too big--14" or 15", widescreen if available, the higher the resolution the better.

7200 RPM drive... why not?

Decent battery life

I can't really say that money isn't an option, but any price range can be done really.

There arent really any Core 2 laptops out there yet that I can think of.....Alienware, Sager, Velocity Micro, and a few others all dont have them.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

I would never slap someone that get something that fullfills his requirements. I'm a Canonist... but when someone asks me for buying tips for a digital camera... I always asks: "What do you need it for?"

EDIT: Lead removed his "getting a Mac slapping"... booohooo

You should be able to put a Core 2 (Merom) CPU into a Duo motherboard.

What will need to happen is the Motherboard BIOS will need to be upgraded to allow for the new CPU's.

It may pay to wait for the Core2 to come out as you cannot guarantee that the manufacturer will upgrade the BIOS.

I'm also on the prowl for a new Lappy.

I like the look of the Asus A6Jm or the F3Jm

These should still be portable, not the fatest or slowest graphics.

These should be upgradable to the Core 2 Duo, ASUS do regular updates on their machine software, be it BIOS or drivers.

If you find something of interest put it here for others also on the hunt for a new machine to look at.

I hope you saw the news we posted about them putting a merom in an M1710 and it worked just fine. (BIOS recognized as merom and it booted fine)

I would wait though for a bit.

As for a recommendation, currently dell has a lower end Precision system, with the current core2 duo, its a 15.4 inch laptop.

In about a month from now they should have a revised version of that system with the core 2 duo (hopefully just a motherboard revision is needed) and you can of course get a nice 100 GB 7200 RPM drive in that, and it should have good battery life.

The only thing I worry about is the graphics card on that lower end laptop, you might need to go for the bigger Precision or similar laptop for the high end graphics.

Dell also probably has a similarily configered Latitude and Inspiron, and maybe XPS laptop that can have similar specs.

For the M65 you can get the Quadro FX 350M 512MB Turbocache

For the D820 you can get these 2

Quadro NVS 110M 256MB TurboCache

Quadro NVS 120M 512MB TurboCache

Dell also has some 15.4 and similar sized laptops with GeForce Go 7300/7400 256MB TurboCache cards, but the E1505 didn't have a WUXGA as an option, that one doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway that is just what they have for Dell right now, they will have newer laptops in about a month or less with the newer CPUs, and maybe different graphics card options, but this gives you an idea of what to expect.

Of course if you want a nice gaming beast get a 17inch with a WUXGA and you can pretty much take your pic of high end graphics cards in those.

Same thing goes for other manufacturers, in about a month there will be many options to pick from.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I know merom's not really widespread yet, but I'm looking for something that will most likely have it available in the near future.

I'm going to be doing a little bit of gaming and the such, but I don't really plan on trying to stress the video card out too much. Mainly this computer's going to be for school.

I would stay away from anything Turbocache if you plan to play the odd game, you'll be future proofed a little longer.

aprox performance, go7900 GTX = 2x go7600 = 2x go7300/7400

go7300/7400 = NVS110/120, not quite sure where the Quadro 350M fits in.

My suggestion is go for at least a go7600 or higher.

I'm with Pieter... *clearing voice* Stay away from TurboCache and aim for the 7600 Go.

Keep in mind that the Core 2 Duo was such a boost in performance for the desktop Pentium 4 because it suucked donkey balls. The Core 2 Duo is based on the Core Duo which is based on Pentium M which is based on the Pentium 3. So there is a gain in using a Core 2 Duo on a laptop but it's much smaller.

If you need something now... go for a Core Duo and a 7600 Go.

This topic really hurts me ...

This topic really hurts me ...

Let me dig even further... in my case I would go for a nice 17" screen in 1920x1200 paired with a 7900GTX... but it's just me. :)

Let me dig even further... in my case I would go for a nice 17" screen in 1920x1200 paired with a 7900GTX... but it's just me. :)

I'm not saying I wouldn't like that, but I want to be unplugged for more than an hour. :)

My brothers M170 can go for probably 2 hours or more unplugged, its 17inch WUXGA, P-M and 7200 RPM hard drive (not exactly sure which CPU, think 2.2 or something GHz)

His also has the 7800 GTX go.

I would imagine the new 17inch models on core 1 and 2 duos can go 2 hours too, even with a 7900 GTX.

They are also really sturdy an not that heavy either.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like that, but I want to be unplugged for more than an hour. :)

Nowadays the screen and the HDD are probably the killers... the CPU can fall to really low energy level. The GPU when not used also falls to energy saving. But a GeForce will always suck more power than the crappy Intel Extreme thingies.

But once again... my Inspiron 9300 allows me to watch 3 45 minutes TV show episodes in full screen before warning me about battery level. If I want to play Oblivion I know that there are little/no options for more than one hour of gaming.

I've asked for a quote on the Chembook 4080 (Compal HEL80)

This has a 15.4" WSXGA+ screen, new 3D Prism matt LCD panel (I prefer matt finish)

go7600 256MB

Can come with Bluetooth and TV-tuner inside the machine.

All the extras and is still slightly cheaper than either ASUS mentioned earlier.