LaptopVideo2Go Forums

BF2 loading issue

catalystic

I would appreciate any help with this...

When I try to run battlefield 2 it goes to a full black sceen then crashes to the desktop without any error message.

Ive tried all nvidia drivers, dell drivers, bios drivers. no avail, but i havent downloaded any of this sites drivers since I am new and im intimidated by all the version #s :) ) I noticed there is another user on the forums with my exact setup and I messaged him about what he did to get it to work. Ive been on the forums for about an hour reading up.

I have a Dell Latitude D820 with a nvidia quadro nvs 120m 512mb card, 2Gb Ram. Help me out!

fabrice roux,

thanks for the help man, i got it to work, all i needed to do was change the refresh rate. I had cruised thru those topics earlier but i didnt see a post that helped me out in there.

I think a hint should be added to the Game troubleshooting FAQ to set Refresh Rate to 60Hz :) If that doesn't work (as for example native Refresh Rate is 59Hz for some 'manufacturer doesn't care about standards' reason) try searching for .INI settings in the game's directory and force the native Refresh Rate.

I think a hint should be added to the Game troubleshooting FAQ to set Refresh Rate to 60Hz :) If that doesn't work (as for example native Refresh Rate is 59Hz for some 'manufacturer doesn't care about standards' reason) try searching for .INI settings in the game's directory and force the native Refresh Rate.

I can't be forgiven that I forgot about the refresh rate... :)

I almost decided to jihad against DICE when I found the solution of my Battlefield 1942 problem... they deserve a never ending shower of ICBM. Plus they did it again on Battlefield 2.

I'm on my way to add this item to the Game troubleshooting FAQ.

:)

The least thing people think about... that most times the GAME itself is causing all these trouble because of poor/lazy programming. I like how you bring that to people's consciousness.

And it's getting worse the more money is to be expected from selling.

I'm sure it's not the perfect solution but here is IDirect3D9Ex::CreateDeviceEx...

The MSDN states:

For Windows 2000 and Windows XP, the full-screen device display refresh rate is set in the following order:
  1. User-specified nonzero ForcedRefreshRate registry key, if supported by the device.
  2. Application-specified nonzero refresh rate value in the presentation parameter.
  3. Refresh rate of the latest desktop mode, if supported by the device.
  4. 75 hertz if supported by the device.
  5. 60 hertz if supported by the device.
  6. Device default.

An unsupported refresh rate will default to the closest supported refresh rate below it. For example, if the application specifies 63 hertz, 60 hertz will be used. There are no supported refresh rates below 57 hertz.

It doesn't solve the 61 and up refresh rates but it's a starting point. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest outlawdsx
fabrice roux,

thanks for the help man, i got it to work, all i needed to do was change the refresh rate. I had cruised thru those topics earlier but i didnt see a post that helped me out in there.

I am actually having the same exact problem with the same computer and graphics card. How did you solve your problem? I tried to fix the refresh rate, but when I go to "My Documents/Battlefield 2/Profiles/Default/" there is no "Video.con" file to edit. There is just "Audio.con" and "Profile.con." Any advice or fixes would be very much appreciated. Thanks again!

I've got a directory called 0001 and 0002 under the My Docs/Bf2/blah/Profiles directory. Inside there is a copy of video.con. If you have those directories, you can use them. Otherwise create a txt document and use these settings to create a video.con. You may need to change the settings around abit, mine is set for max detail (3). But, these can be changed once the game is loaded. The key setting will be the resolution one, so set that to something 'safe' like 800x600@60Hz or whatever your desktop is set to.

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 3

VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 3

VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 3

VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 3

VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 3

VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 3

VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 3

VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 3

VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x1024@60Hz

VideoSettings.setAntialiasing 2Samples

VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 1

VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 3

Sweet, good news. Enjoy (and get patch 1.4 and join a Road to Jalalabad - Infantry only server.. great fun, chaos, but fun!)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Changing the video.con file doesn't work for me and I posted this on many forums but they are out of date like this one.