LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba P100-198 and nVidia Go 7900 GS Problem

DoZe

Hi :P

Since 1 week i have a Toshiba P100-198 from a friend to find a problem very similar to My P10..... :)

The computer is new,bios is updated. I try to update the video driver,the original driver come from toshiba master (84.00)

But my friend is a gamer, and i want to update the driver.....

I try ALL the driver from 91.45 to 84.00 and i have always the same prob !!!!

Blinking screen,and a vertical bar of blinking pixels (like defective memory video or Gpu)

AND NO PROBLEMS with original driver. But some games have bug because driver is old one.

I think a new topic is born :)

This is really strange since GeForce 7900 support was added with the 84.21 which is compatibility wise a great driver. The only thing missing is the Oblivion optimizations that came with the 84.25.

Visit the Recommended driver FAQ and try the 84.25.

And which games seems to give you troubles? In that case you might want to read the Gaming troubleshooting guide.

Doze, there's a similar problem since a few in the days in the german forum.

Read here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=10612

You have been of great help with the P10 problem. A pity that there is still no solution...

I suggest all info should be collected in your first post to find the Laptops affected.

Hello, i have also Problems with the Go 7900 GS with my Toshiba P100-191.

Here you can find more specs about the notebook.

The standard Driver is the Detonator 84.00. The problem is, that if you want to play games which use Direct Draw Games, they crash with the error:

AOEIIDIRECTDRAWFEHLER.jpg

In english it means. ""Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw"".

In the DirectX Consol (dxdiag) the Direct Draw Tests runs normaly without any problems.

After help in this Forum, i installed the 84.25, but the Driver runs not correctly. I can play now AOE II, but the performence of the graphic card sucks really. Games which run befor without any Problems (Toca Race Driver 3, Pro Evolution Soccer 5 etc.) have now performence Problems, so you can not play them normaly.

Edited by Christo

Is the P105-S921 also affected? If so, then these all have one thing in common. A thing which TOSHiBA has apparantly just introduced even though they announced at CeBIT that they will never do. They feature most likely (needs to be confirmed by users) MXM NVIDIA GPUs, which is a world's first. And now these troubles....

My first idea then:

Try to play around with the MXM values in Pieter's mobile INF (search for the MXM AddReg section in the INF).

Hello, are there any new Ideas how to solf this Problems? :)

Try adding these 2 lines that may fix it:

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 4C,A3,47,44,00,0F,32,0F,04,00,00,00,36,04,76,2F,90,A0

HKR,, EnableDynamicEdidMode, %REG_DWORD%, 0x80FF0000

Add it to the [Mobile_Tweaks] section of the INF (use a text editor and copy and paste into INF)

The above lines are from 84.00 the driver that came with the P105 (US model) with the go7900 GS.

Failing this, try using the INF that comes with 84.00 on a newer driver and see how you get on.

You may need to force an install, not sure if the Subsys number for the P105 (US) is the same as the P100 (Rest of world) with the go7900 GS.

Try adding these 2 lines that may fix it:

Add it to the [Mobile_Tweaks] section of the INF (use a text editor and copy and paste into INF)

The above lines are from 84.00 the driver that came with the P105 (US model) with the go7900 GS.

Failing this, try using the INF that comes with 84.00 on a newer driver and see how you get on.

You may need to force an install, not sure if the Subsys number for the P105 (US) is the same as the P100 (Rest of world) with the go7900 GS.

:)

Thank You very mutch, you are my hero. :)

Using the old inf with news Drivers works fine.

But i have to warn all P100-191 Users to test adding the lines to the inf of the 84.25 or using the inf from the 84.25. Your graphic chip will be overheating! It will works fine a short time, but few minutes later, the performence slows down because the temperature rises up extremly! I nearly burned my fingers on my Notebook!!! So better use the old inf, with new Driver and Control Panel.

Thanks all for helping me.

Edited by Christo

That might not have worked for you but it could work for someone else....Also, your fans might be blocked off or dirty if the temp is shooting up that high.

That might not have worked for you but it could work for someone else....Also, your fans might be blocked off or dirty if the temp is shooting up that high.

Mhhhhh, no,the computer is 15 days old and used in clean room.

That might not have worked for you but it could work for someone else....

Did i say that it could not help any other peoples? :) I only warn P100-191 owner....

Also, your fans might be blocked off or dirty if the temp is shooting up that high.

No, sorry the Notebook is only 1 month old and very clean, the problem is only if i use the inf from the 84.25!

Edited by Christo

I bet that the 7900 GS is too young (its one of the latest batch) so the current "reference driver" the 84.25 doesn't handle it properly.

Any news from new drivers from Toshiba???

Try the 84.83 that clearly supports the 7900 GS out of the box.

I wonder how EDID settings can affect GPU temperature and i would dare to say that this is very unlikely.

Try the 84.83 that clearly supports the 7900 GS out of the box.

I can install this driver and all games works fine (no overheating, normal performence), but the control panel ist not available, so u can not use the driver really. :)

Now i have the problem that the 84.25 with the old inf of 84.00 will not work, i dont know why, it works time before. So i am back on the officel 84.00 without supporting AOE II... I think the problem is not the driver version, the problem ist the control panel or driver settings. If the control panel of the 84.00 is installed, AOE II did not work. With the control panel of the 84.25 it works, but the problem is that i dont know, how i can install driver and control panel seperated.

Assuming 84.00 is really 84.00... a lot of issues were fixes on newer games and newer hardware between 84.00 and 84.25.

The main worry is that the 7900 GS is a recent GPU... but Toshiba uses a driver that was released months before the 7900 GS.

Give 84.63 a try... I mismatched my driver advice with 84.83. :)

Give 84.63 a try... I mismatched my driver advice with 84.83. :)

Yeha, this driver works good. Easy to install with the modded inf and all games workes normal (no overheating) und the control panel works also. :)

Edited by Christo

Sorry for the typo... rule of thumb try MCE drivers first. :)

Those MCE animals are usually good for stability.

Hi :)

Some news, i have entirely disassembling the P100-198 and look for the graphic module.

IMG_2332.jpg

I test with a freezer spray on the memory, and the problem of blinking pixels DISAPPEAR :)

it's a shame for a 1619 euro Computer !!!!!!!! ovearheating probs MUST BE solved at engineering stage,

not at the final user stage,with some key in the .INF to downclocking the chip and the memory :(

IMG_2339.jpg

How the memory can be cool with this ????????????

you can see the SMALL bridge between the large copper plate and the piece of copper on the memory......

HOW Toshiba can do that ????? :P

:) Garantie adé. But you found the culprit!

Ich denke es wird Zeit sich gegen diesen offensichtlichen Konstruktionsfehler bei Toshiba zu beschweren und Nachbesserung zu fordern. Es müssen nur entsprechend viele Beschwerden eingehen.

Sorry, I can not confirm this as an general Toshiba Problem. My overheating problem was only with the described driver. I can play many hours without any errors. I have an P100-191 but also with the 7900 GS.

Edited by Christo

• 2 months later...

Hi :P

After some month and some search in different forum, (you can see here for exemple, i know eheh in french :P )

http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/MiniPC...et-30811-25.htm

I know, it's an old one, but eheh, very interesting !

i have 3 models in my hand, and now a perfect one (but i'm waiting 1 month to be sure)

But we can say, not all the P100-198 but certain model HAVE overheating problems.

Probably, the quality of 7900GS chip on some model are:

1) "BAD" but not Faulty (like the 1st P100 i have in my hand) :

With the bad heatsink system,you can change the driver and try ALL,change thermal paste,do the .inf tips:

Nothing to do : return the P100 to the seller is the best solution.

2) BETTER but.... : (like the 3rd P100 i see)

With the bad heatsink system,you need to slow down the chip with some .inf Modification and no probs appears, an appropriate driver version can help a lot.

3) GOOD : (like the 2nd P100 i have in my hand)

You can use any driver, the chip can be very hot if you don't use an appropriate version, but it's not a prob, a good driver and all is perfect!

you can notice when you use the "appropriate version", the fan run permanently at very low speed,you can feel it with your babyface :) but it's difficult with your finger ou your hand.

i didn't know if it's sure but if Toshiba was putting a BETTER heatsink system at the engineering stage,the problem would never have existed

Perhaps Toshiba have no chance with some 7900Gs chip but the other vendor have probs ?

if someone can confirm what i said in this post,it will be nice!

Critics are welcome, we are here to learn,please don't kick my assvtoo much if i said some crap! :)

Edited by DoZe

• 2 months later...

hey guys,

my problem is, that a driver upgrade on 93.71 made 7900 gs (toshiba p100-191) overheating under high workload (gaming). So I downgraded to recommended 84.63 but the problem is still the same. The gpu fan is working and speeds up on workload but not fast enough. When I play Oblivion the game is stuttering every 2-5 min because the gpu is downclocking itself. I also downgraded to 84.00 original toshiba drivers but no success.

Thanls for help

Tobias