LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell 8600 worth upgrading?

CDBURNEI2

I have a Dell 8600 w/NVGo5650 video, 1.4GHz Pentium-M, 1.2GB RAM, CD-RW/DVD Drive, 60GB-4200rpm hd.

I use Adobe CS2 all the time and notice it bogs tremedously with certain pics. Is anything worth upgrading? I thought about popping in a 2GHz P-M and topping off RAM at 2GB.

The graphics card is not worth trying to replace, atleast not for regular photo work.

CPU and RAM upgrade should speed up your image editing programs and pretty much everything else too.

Newegg.com is a good place to find RAM for your laptop.

Can look on crucial to find out what kind, but I think newegg carries even the crucial branded RAM for cheaper now. (which is pretty good quality laptop RAM)

If you ever decide on a hard drive replacement a nice 7200 RPM drive would be a nice boost over yours, but you don't need to upgrade that to speed up photo editing.

The graphics card is not worth trying to replace, atleast not for regular photo work.

CPU and RAM upgrade should speed up your image editing programs and pretty much everything else too.

Newegg.com is a good place to find RAM for your laptop.

Can look on crucial to find out what kind, but I think newegg carries even the crucial branded RAM for cheaper now. (which is pretty good quality laptop RAM)

If you ever decide on a hard drive replacement a nice 7200 RPM drive would be a nice boost over yours, but you don't need to upgrade that to speed up photo editing.

Well RAM I already upgraded from factory 512MB. Yes newegg is where I bought it. 200-pin SODIMM @ pc2700. Newegg rocks. Spent thousands there over the years thus far doing builds for others, and myself. Is a 2GHZ P-M a significant boost over the 1.4 I have now. If I recall a 1.4GHz P-M ran about the same as a P4 @ 2.2 GHz. WHats the equivalent of a 2.0 P-M to that of a P4 cpu?

It is probably speed equivilent to a 3.2 GHz or faster P4 Prescott single core.

I'm too lazy/busy to look at benchmarks though, but with google anything is possible to find. <hint> google can find many benchmarks </hint>

You should get a very good speed increase, also photo editing programs do use up lots of CPU power for large/complicated editing tasks, as well as lots of RAM.

If you can find a 2 GHz for a good price you would be crazy not to get it, unless you see a 2.2 GHz for an even better price (do they make them in that CPU type?)

Be very strict when it comes to CPU and RAM upgrade.

I advise to determine your current CPUS' sSPEC number. Be aware that there's only ONE existing Pentium 4-M family. There's no "Pentium 4 mobile" or "mobile Pentium 4" as used at EBAY for example to confuse people on purpose. These are desktop CPUs (lesser quality not beeing able to clock down in PowerSaving mode and producing heat more than this summer in Europe).

Use this link to determine your CPU family and upgrade options

http://processorfinder.intel.com/default.aspx?ProcFam=826

Be very strict when it comes to CPU and RAM upgrade.

I advise to determine your current CPUS' sSPEC number. Be aware that there's only ONE existing Pentium 4-M family. There's no "Pentium 4 mobile" or "mobile Pentium 4" as used at EBAY for example to confuse people on purpose. These are desktop CPUs (lesser quality not beeing able to clock down in PowerSaving mode and producing heat more than this summer in Europe).

Use this link to determine your CPU family and upgrade options

http://processorfinder.intel.com/default.aspx?ProcFam=826

You have to be careful saying Pentium 4-M. There is Pentium 4-M, Pentium-M, and Pentium 4. I have a Pentium-M cpu. If I am not mistaken it is a Dothan Core and 2.0GHz iz max I can upgrade mine to from asking others on here. If the jump is that huge I am sure going to consider it. Thanx

You forgot the Celeron M.....Which is just a low-power Pentium M.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

You forgot the Celeron M.....Which is just a low-power Pentium M.

I would say its just an M, but not in the same "weight" class as Penitum chips.... :)

The P4-M was meant as an example to take care at Ebay :)

as used at EBAY for example to confuse people on purpose.

The P4-M was meant as an example to take care at Ebay :)

THanx for the warning. Never trusted enough to buy from ebay. I still don't know if i could do it.

• 1 month later...
I have a Dell 8600 w/NVGo5650 video, 1.4GHz Pentium-M, 1.2GB RAM, CD-RW/DVD Drive, 60GB-4200rpm hd.

I use Adobe CS2 all the time and notice it bogs tremedously with certain pics. Is anything worth upgrading? I thought about popping in a 2GHz P-M and topping off RAM at 2GB.

I wouldnt .....

btw, how much would it cost?

• 2 weeks later...

i made that kind of choice in mid september , and both CPU and RAM where way to

expensive ... this inspiron worth about 400$ US now on EBAY. its not a good idea to

put another 400 or 500 over that !

i finally decide to buy a new i9400 , 2200$ canadian (including the 7900GS and 3 year complete care ! )

without the 7900 ( lets say you keep the ati X1400) its about 1300$ US for a brand new laptop !

wich will rock your regular type of apps...