LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New Go5200 and no backlight

colsaunders2

I bought a new 64 MB Geforce FX Go5200 to replace my current 32 MB one. The new card is definitely working, however, the backlight simply does not turn on with it installed (the display is visible, but only under bright light). I've reinstalled the 32 MB card, and everything (including the backlight) is working now.

The Vbios is the same on both cards, but I suspect this is a BIOS-related issue. Perhaps the new one, being revision A00, is incompatible with the A38 system BIOS (the other card is A02)? Any help would be really appreciated.

Try checking on DELL#s download site, if there#s an updated VBIOS available namely A02.

Unfortunately the Video BIOS updates only come bundled with the System BIOS updater, and unless my eyes were cheated the vBios on the new card matches that of the old one, as well as the latest System BIOS. I am thinking possibly that either the card requires an older System BIOS, or that I need to flash one of those standalone vBios images available on this site.

If I can get my hands on an external display, I will check the video output on that.

Edit: I was referring exclusively to the updates listed under the Inspiron 5150 ... there could a compatible one out there yet.

Edited by colsaunders2

OK i see.

What i meant was trying seach one DELL's download site for a standalone VBIOS update for 64MB Go 5200.

It appears that the available VBios updaters support only the Inspiron 8600 and Latitude D800. I tried them anyway, and nvuflash reported "Incorrect VBIOS for this sytem" in every case.

It is absolutely unbelievable to me that a video card would disable the backlight and function otherwise...

Is this Go 5200 card an official spare part for your series? If so, then DELL support should supply an answer why it doesn't display correct brightness.

It is officially supported and available for the 5150, but I purchased it online instead of calling Dell Spare Parts (which would have been a better idea). The Dell support chat representative said "my Dell hardware was working under normal specifications" and that I should "contact the vendor for the video card" :) ... I think that would be *them*

Thanks for the responses, RRR

• 2 weeks later...

most manufacturers only support items bought from them. ebay or anywhere else you'd have to contact the person you bought it from... with a laptop, I will only buy from the vendor (in our case, dell)

Also, for yor I5150, you may be experiencing what most people commonly refer to as 'matrix lag'. check out my fix for that, you didnt spend any extra cash on the 2.8, 3.0 or 3.2GHz processor so you got lucky, the processor in the I5150's will actually run just as fast at 1.6Ghz as it does at full speed (its kinda funny cuz it gives you an extra hour or two battery power and less heat too). I'll post a link pretty quick here.

EDIT: here ya go: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....831&hl=5150

a funky little tweak I discovered a couple months back

Edited by mew905

Dell Support via email seemed rather clueless when I contacted them about the problem - for some odd reason they were thinking that my screen brightness was set too low, and so they had me do about every test imaginable (checking the BIOS settings, installing Dell's Nvidia 67.42 package, keying Fn-Up/Down, etc). Once I made it clear that the backlight was not turning on, they seemed to just give up :)

Since the seller tested the card and found no problems with it, I have to conclude that there is some hardware incompatibility with my "late-model" 5150. Otherwise the card performs really well - I can get a stable overclock of 240/500, and the 3dmark 03 scores look good (1552!).

Concerning the "matrix lag", it appears that I do not experience that issue. I do have NHC and i8kfangui for dynamic cpu throttling and fan control, along with an Antec notebook cooler - so my idle temps are a good 39/37 C, and the load temps never go above 60/50. Thanks for the info though :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sunny from DK

@colsaunders2: Where do you get this chip as a sparepart? And does it have a spare part number? I've looked all over and can't find it. I need it for my Toshiba Tecra M2 as the old one couldn't stand the heat here in Denmark.

Thanks!

Søren

• 3 weeks later...

I would suspect a fault in your new card, moreso if the old card powers up the backlight fine. The power for the backlight comes via the video card (thus the one plug), there pay be a bad pin on the connector to the screen, or dry joint ect.

Get back to the seller and ask for a replacement, state that you have another 32mb card that works fine, and that the new one does not.