LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Finding cpu info for Dell 8600

CDBURNEI2

I know there are different cpu cores used for a Pentium-M cpu in an 8600. How do you tell which is used? How do I tell if its a 478-pin or 479-pin cpu? How do I know max GHz speed I can drop in? ANd lastly will a cpu with a 533MHz FSB work where a cpu with a 400MHz FSB was removed...just at the slower speed? Thanx.

Just a side note....I used Intel CPU identifier but it does not show everything as I asked unless I don't understand it.

My Pentium-M 1.4GHz is:

CPU Type: 0

CPU Family: 6

CPU Model: 9

CPU Stepping: 5

CPU Revision: 7

Level 2 cache: 1MB

Level 1 Data cache: 32KB

Level 1 instruction cache: 32KB

:)

Edited by CDBURNEI2

CPU-Z is your friend.

Max GHz can be determined by knowing which chipset is used in your peticular Laptop (Intel Chipset ID Utility can be found in the drivers forum subsection, category Mainboard drivers) and for doublechecking reasons verifiying that DELL does allowing a CPU upgrade to the max (no System BIOS lock or such, for example to prevent overheating as the case/heatsink/laptop-design was not meant for running at higher degrees...).

CPU-Z is your friend.

Max GHz can be determined by knowing which chipset is used in your peticular Laptop (Intel Chipset ID Utility can be found in the drivers forum subsection, category Mainboard drivers) and for doublechecking reasons verifiying that DELL does allowing a CPU upgrade to the max (no System BIOS lock or such, for example to prevent overheating as the case/heatsink/laptop-design was not meant for running at higher degrees...).

Well its a Banias Core and mainboard is i855PM

Can't find any 2.0GHz w/400MHz FSB on ebay......hmmmm

Edited by CDBURNEI2

Find out the sSPEC number of your desired CPU and you're all set at EBAY as you used the most precise search term. I posted the link in that other thread of you...

I think the best CPU for the 400Mhz chipset is the 1.6Ghz.

Now you can pin mod the CPU socket, so instead of 4x400Mhz = 1600 you get 4x533 = 2.13Ghz :)

You could try it with your 1.4Ghz, 400x3.5 = 1400 with 3.5x533 = 1.86Ghz

Of course all done at own risk, no responsibility taken for fried chips (I'll suply the fish :) )

I think the best CPU for the 400Mhz chipset is the 1.6Ghz.

Now you can pin mod the CPU socket, so instead of 4x400Mhz = 1600 you get 4x533 = 2.13Ghz :)

You could try it with your 1.4Ghz, 400x3.5 = 1400 with 3.5x533 = 1.86Ghz

Of course all done at own risk, no responsibility taken for fried chips (I'll suply the fish :) )

http://gallery.bcentral.com/ProductDetails...amp;PID=4659710 THis won't work?

Probably not as 400x5=2000Mhz.

So 533x5= 2666Mhz.

This maybe asking a little much from the CPU.

NO I mean as a direct replacement to my Pentium M 1.4GHz, 400MHz FSB.

That should work just fine.

Make sure you have the latest system BIOS installed 1st. (to ensure it recognises the CPU)