LaptopVideo2Go Forums

ATTENTION: Toshiba Qosmio F15 and G15 Owners!

Guest The Phantom Mullet

Guest The Phantom Mullet

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought a clearanced out Toshiba G15-AV501 at Circuit City in March and registered for the Toshiba Warranty. I was calling them today about a burnt out pixel problem I was having, and after them telling me it wasn't covered (I guess it takes at least 10 to get them to do anything about it), the technician mentioned that my laptop qualified for a free system board upgrade. Apparantly Toshiba has decided to quietly upgrade the F15 and G15 series notebooks with new system boards. I asked for details, and the tech told me the new board would be the Intel 915 chipset with an *upgraded GPU!* That's right, my GeForce Go FX 5700 is going to be replaced with the FX 6600 (complete with PCI-E interface)! FREE! I'm taking the lappy to the UPS store tomorrow and Toshiba is paying shipping!

Now, I didn't bother to ask about those of you who aren't under warranty, but I know the system boards and GPUs in those series notebooks are notorious for getting screwy, so I'd say give it a shot.

The number to call is 1-800-457-7777, then press 1, then 3 to talk to tech support. Mention to the tech support person that you understand they've been having problems with the system boards on those models. If you're out of warranty, just politely say that you're concerned that your laptop may eventually show those same signs. From what I've heard, they have replaced the system boards on a number of machines that were out of warranty, so all may not be lost.

Anyways, hopefully this will help some of you Toshiba owners get a free upgrade :) .

Cheers,

The Phantom Mullet

:) Un-fuckin-believable....They're actualy replacing your mobo AND giving you a GPU upgrade for free!?

:)

Wouldn't it be great if that become a standard... interchangeable mainboards for Laptop cases :)

It seems pretty standard to me... I have a couple of friends that had to return their Toshiba laptop... mobo exchange... one of them had to return it multiple times... charger fried the battery which ended up frying the mobo.

ps: it's the guy with the Sony/Dell ttimebomb speaking.

Guest The Phantom Mullet
:) Un-fuckin-believable....They're actualy replacing your mobo AND giving you a GPU upgrade for free!?

Yeah, I was just as surprised when I found out. I did find quite a few cases of the G15 and F15 laptops having video card problems, but I wasn't expecting them to do anything about it for me since I am having no problems with my laptop at the moment. :)

It seems pretty standard to me... I have a couple of friends that had to return their Toshiba laptop... mobo exchange... one of them had to return it multiple times... charger fried the battery which ended up frying the mobo.

ps: it's the guy with the Sony/Dell ttimebomb speaking.

Yea but thats for Toshiba laptops. It would be great if there was a standard size/shape for ALL motherboards...then you could just hit ebay for a cheap mobo instead of buying a generic OEM one :)

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

I'm thinking this needs to be somewhere where more people will see it, like support or something.

It won't be that smart to put it on the front page... and end up in the laser sight of Toshiba hitmen.

It won't be that smart to put it on the front page... and end up in the laser sight of Toshiba hitmen.

You have a point...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest oscar123

please check this thread too.

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread157738-3.html

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I bought a clearanced out Toshiba G15-AV501 at Circuit City in March and registered for the Toshiba Warranty. I was calling them today about a burnt out pixel problem I was having, and after them telling me it wasn't covered (I guess it takes at least 10 to get them to do anything about it), the technician mentioned that my laptop qualified for a free system board upgrade. Apparantly Toshiba has decided to quietly upgrade the F15 and G15 series notebooks with new system boards. I asked for details, and the tech told me the new board would be the Intel 915 chipset with an *upgraded GPU!* That's right, my GeForce Go FX 5700 is going to be replaced with the FX 6600 (complete with PCI-E interface)! FREE! I'm taking the lappy to the UPS store tomorrow and Toshiba is paying shipping!

Now, I didn't bother to ask about those of you who aren't under warranty, but I know the system boards and GPUs in those series notebooks are notorious for getting screwy, so I'd say give it a shot.

The number to call is 1-800-457-7777, then press 1, then 3 to talk to tech support. Mention to the tech support person that you understand they've been having problems with the system boards on those models. If you're out of warranty, just politely say that you're concerned that your laptop may eventually show those same signs. From what I've heard, they have replaced the system boards on a number of machines that were out of warranty, so all may not be lost.

Anyways, hopefully this will help some of you Toshiba owners get a free upgrade :) .

Cheers,

The Phantom Mullet

• 2 months later...

I just called Toshiba customer service, and my F15-AV201 warranty is expired. I also having problem with my GO5700, have to uninstall it in safe mode, in order to start the window in normal mode, and showing lot of vertical lines on the screen. The customer service said it is system board problem and there is a global system board enhancement program and it is FREE.. Thanks for the information.

Did they provide an official link for that "System Board Enhancement Program" or a contact number?

As my 4 year old Laptop is also suffering from that phenomena (Vertical lines and distorted pixels). There seems to be huge problems on various TOSHiBA models with that.

http://www.fixmytoshibalaptop.com:

HAVING VIDEO PROBLEMS WITH YOUR TOSHIBA SATELLITE 5100 OR 5105 SERIES LAPTOP???

GETTING ERRATIC AND BAD VIDEO DISPLAY OR ACTS WEIRD WHEN IT WARMS UP OR WHEN IT'S MOVED OR JUST FREEZES OR CRASHES THE COMPUTER??? BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH??? VIDEO RUNS IN SAFE MODE ONLY?

TRIED REPLACING PARTS OR SENDING IT INTO THE REPAIR SHOP ONLY TO GET THE RUN-AROUND AND/OR TEMPORARY FIX THAT LEFT YOU FRUSTRATED???

WASTED TIME AND MONEY ON A NEW MOTHERBOARD OR VIDEO CARD ONLY TO HAVE THE PROBLEMS RE-APPEAR A SHORT TIME LATER???

WELL HELP IS FINALLY HERE!!!

I AM TOTALLY FAMILIAR WITH THESE LAPTOPS AND THERE INHERENT PROBLEMS AND HAVE DEVELOPED 100% CURES FOR THEM OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS.

YOU SEE, THE PROBLEMS ARE ACTUALLY FROM SOME TOSHIBA DESIGN FLAWS ON THE MOTHERBOARD VGA CONNECTOR AND THE CONNECTOR AND MEMORY CHIPS ON THE VIDEO CARD AND THE MEMORY CARD SLOTS AS WELL AND FROM EXCESSIVE HEAT BUILD-UP.

IN MY SOLDERING STATION UNDER A MICROSCOPE I REPAIR AND BUILD UP AND MAKE STRONGER HUNDREDS OF TINY CIRCUITS ON THE MOTHERBOARD AND VIDEO CARD. I ALSO RE-FLOW THE VRAM BGA MEMORY CHIPS ON THE VIDEO CARD AND MODIFY THE COOLING FAN TO RUN MORE WHICH GREATLY REDUCES HEAT BUILD-UP.

ACTUALLY, ONCE THE BUGS ARE ALL FIXED, THESE LAPTOPS MAKE AN EXCELLENT, RELIABLE AND LONG LASTING UNIT.

I AM A BOARD LEVEL TECHNICIAN AND HAVE REPAIRED LAPTOPS AND MOTHERBOARDS FOR PEOPLE AND REPAIR SHOPS ALL OVER THE WORLD.

• 1 year later...
Guest Jorge G

I just read this post today, November 11, 2008. I talked to customer service and the first guy wouldn't help me. He kept repeating to me that the warranty had expired. I told him that I know about the System Board Enhancement Program. He told me again and again that it had expired in 2006 for me. I told him that I never received any notice that this was a recalled unit.

Finally, I asked to speak to a supervisor, which he didn't like (telling me that the supervisor would only tell me the same thing). The supervisor listened to my story and told me she would be sending me a return authorization package. Yeah!! The upgrade will be free including the pick and drop off.

So in seven days I should have a completely new computer.

• 1 month later...
I just read this post today, November 11, 2008. I talked to customer service and the first guy wouldn't help me. He kept repeating to me that the warranty had expired. I told him that I know about the System Board Enhancement Program. He told me again and again that it had expired in 2006 for me. I told him that I never received any notice that this was a recalled unit.

Finally, I asked to speak to a supervisor, which he didn't like (telling me that the supervisor would only tell me the same thing). The supervisor listened to my story and told me she would be sending me a return authorization package. Yeah!! The upgrade will be free including the pick and drop off.

So in seven days I should have a completely new computer.

Bought my F15-AV201 from Best Buy on 1/12/05, really liked the machine and had no problems until 12/25/08 or so and then was in the middle of working on it when pooooof no fan and vertical lines appeared on the screen. Did a web search to see if anyone else had experienced this problem and stumbled across various forums. On 12/27/08 following the posted suggestions, called 1-800-457-7777, then 1, then 3 then 1. They asked for the Serial Number and informed me my laptop was ?Out of Warranty?, duh! I told them I was surprised Toshiba had not informed purchasers and recalled these computers as they must have known they had a serious problem. I told the customer service rep anyone in their right mind would buy a Toshiba based on the postings from a most basic web research. She asked for a specific forum, placed me on hold, came back on the line and asked if I could continue to hold while she spoke with her supervisor, came back on line and Low & Behold I now qualified for the ?Northstar System Board Replacement Program?. Was sent a UPS prepaid 2nd day box on 12/30/08, exchanged my hard drive with a replacement purchased on e-bay for $45 as they always seem to ?lose data?, boxed up my unit and shipped it off which they received on 1/12/09 (due to the holidays I guess). The repair was completed on 1/14/09 and the unit was shipped back to me on 1/15/09. UPS shows it should be delivered on 1/16/09. Overall not a bad experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks SO MUCH for posting this information! My G15 died last year a week after the Best Buy extended warranty expired, and after $600 and three trips to Best Buy for three systemboard replacements, we had given up and were going to chuck the thing. I followed all the advice given and now it seems to finally work! I'm disappointed that Toshiba didn't notify registered owners of this known defect, and really disgusted that the Best Buy "techs" took our money and failed to make the fix THREE TIMES, or bother to tell us that Toshiba would repair it.

When I called Toshiba I had to be firm in explaining to the rep that even though my laptop was well out of warranty I knew that it was still eligible for the Systemboard Enhancement Program, and he had to put me on long hold twice to verify. But then he agreed and sent me the shipping box and gave me a case number.

Many thanks to all of you,

CM

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on-hold right now, and technician is ordering me up a box!

My laptop won't reboot most of the time. I get the vertical lines, etc., just as described in this thread.

Patiently waited for technician to explain it was out of warranty and troubleshooting would cost $35, but would he would listen for a bit.

Told him I realized it was out of warranty, but had read about the nVidia chip problems on the G15-AV501 and SystemBoardReplacement program on the internet, and hoped that we'd qualify for that.

He immediately said that was correct, the G15 with the vertical lines qualifies for a system board replacement.

He took the info, and is shipping out a box....

Things are looking up!

Thanks to you previous posters!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest_Frankie_*

Hey! Thank-you SO much for the info! I used the 800 number and called Toshiba today about my F15. The video is terrible it wont hardley run. Of course the rep said I was out of warranty but he investigated and WHOLA! They are sending me a box to ship my laptop to get a new board! THIS IS FANTASTIC! Im so glad I checked this out! :) :)

• 1 month later...

Just got off the phone...they're shipping me a box :)

The lappy died months ago, glad I hung on to it.

I heard about this program, called a couple days ago. Guy wasn't very helpful, gave me the address of a local authorized repair shop, said they might be able to fix it if it was a gpu problem.

called again, after reading this thread...this guy was WAY nicer. I think it helps a lot to reference the system board replacement program by name - he looked it up, and actually told me the problem couldnt be fixed by the local shop and then gave me an order number for the box, etc.

AWESOME!