LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce Go 7200 & Vista, please help!

keira

Hello,

I'm using an HP dv6045nr with a Geforce Go 7200, and I'm having major issues getting it to work with Windows Vista (build 5472). First of all, Vista installs with a default Standard VGA Adaptor driver and if I update the driver through the device manager, I'm able to install the Windows XP driver (84.98) just fine. However, it has no Aero support and even worse, causes bluescreens whenever I do certain things.

I've tried every single Vista driver that I've seen on this site, after adding my card's information to the inf:

%NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D6.1% = nv4_G72a, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D6&SUBSYS_30B7103C

NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D6.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200"

Whenever I try to update it via the device manager, it finds the driver and begins installing it like normal. However, at the end of the installation, it complains about the driver not being designed for Vista and errors out.

I'm out of ideas and would REALLY like to get this working. This is the only piece of hardware in my laptop that's not working under Vista. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Christy

You're installing an XP driver in Vista, this will work to get a Control panel and play games with.

BUT the XP drivers don't support Aero effects, you needs a Vista driver.

Have a look in the 80 (85+) series for a selection of them.

You'll need to find a driver with an INF called nvbl.inf (HP OEM INF), now you should be able to run Aero.

BUT the go7200 might only be marginal to get desent performance, as it's the slowest clocked go7x00 series GPU.

Also you need at least 128MB of dedicated RAM (most go7300's come with only 64MB, not sure on your go7200), Turbocache doesn't count here, as this is not fast enough to run it smoothly.

Vista with Aero is a real CPU/GPU resource hog, I can't even run Solitaire in VGA mode it's just too slow.

Hope this helps

Vista with Aero is a real CPU/GPU resource hog, I can't even run Solitaire in VGA mode it's just too slow.

This is a new low... when you start to benchmark an OS with Solitaire... you know that fecal matter is about to hit the rotating blades of an electric fan.

You're installing an XP driver in Vista, this will work to get a Control panel and play games with.

BUT the XP drivers don't support Aero effects, you needs a Vista driver.

Have a look in the 80 (85+) series for a selection of them.

I've already tried installing the XP drivers. They're the only ones that work at all, but as I mentioned already, they cause bluescreens.

You'll need to find a driver with an INF called nvbl.inf (HP OEM INF), now you should be able to run Aero.

BUT the go7200 might only be marginal to get desent performance, as it's the slowest clocked go7x00 series GPU.

Also you need at least 128MB of dedicated RAM (most go7300's come with only 64MB, not sure on your go7200), Turbocache doesn't count here, as this is not fast enough to run it smoothly.

I think I've already tried the bl inf, but I will try it again (I see it in the 95.61 drivers, but it only mentions the Quadro). My video card has 256MB of dedicated VRAM.

I've already tried installing the XP drivers. They're the only ones that work at all, but as I mentioned already, they cause bluescreens.

I think I've already tried the bl inf, but I will try it again (I see it in the 95.61 drivers, but it only mentions the Quadro). My video card has 256MB of dedicated VRAM.

95.61 with the BL inf failed just like all of the other Vista drivers citing this error:

vistaerror.jpg

Anyone?

Try an 85 series driver, these are Vista LDDM or WDDM or whatever they are called :)

Have a go with 87.98

This should have the OEM INF including the nvbl.inf your after.

Have a go with 87.98

This should have the OEM INF including the nvbl.inf your after.

I already mentioned that I've already tried every single Vista driver on this website. I get the same error dialog box posted above each time. Are you reading my posts?

I already mentioned that I've already tried every single Vista driver on this website. I get the same error dialog box posted above each time. Are you reading my posts?

I force installed a Go 7300 WHQL driver supplied with Vista. It worked.

Exotic hardware on exotic OS sometimes require an exotic driver install. :)

I force installed a Go 7300 WHQL driver supplied with Vista. It worked.

Can you tell me how you did that? I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my 7600 Go as you were with you card.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, I am having the exact same problem as you with getting a driver for my 256 alocasted nvidia go 7200 card. Exept that I am trying it under RC1.

the 96.33 drivers with the modded inf should work for you.

Yeh i have the same laptop i think i am going to wait till official Vista is released.. btw how is vista running on that HP ? What is the rating did vista gave to your laptop dv6045nr?

how to install the 96.33 inf modified driver or the 7300 le driver? + i cldnt find the 7300 le driver, where to dl and how to install.

thanks

nvm figured it out, sorry for double post. I have HP pavilion dv2000t notebook with 2GB RAM and 128mb Geforce Go 7200. You download the 96.33 driver, then download the modded inf file and replace with the inf in the extracted folder you downloaded before. Then you go to device manager, update driver from that folder. Tats it, no more bluescreen errors and you can run aero, also aero works fine and i CAN play solitare :) . Tx for the info.

Guest Andrei M

Hey, I've had the same problem on the Vista RC1, the GeForce Go drivers are only for 32-bit operating systems. After you try to install the drivers (and the installer fails) it will leave the files in C:\NVIDIA . If you get the Vista drivers for the GeForce (non-Go) you can update your drivers and pick the NNVIDIA GeForce 7300GT from the file in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista64\96.33 (in case you are running on 64 bit, otherwise use the 32 bit drivers for Vista, following the same procedure).

I was nervous about doing that, as it's a workaround but it helped me run Vista 64-bit on my HP DV2000 with the GeForce Go 7200 just fine. It recognizes only the correct resolutions, so it appears to be all good.

Hope it works out for you,

Andrei

I downloaded the 96.33 drivers and then i downloaded the 87.98 from the link somone posted earlier. My question is nv_bl.inf the same thing as nvbl.inf and if so when i copy it to the folder it didnt replace anything. So when i copied it to the folder and tried the setup file again and still didnt recognize anything and i also tried to update driver from device manager and still nothing. Can anybody point me in the right direction to get this driver installed. Im not sure what i am doing wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
how to install the 96.33 inf modified driver or the 7300 le driver? + i cldnt find the 7300 le driver, where to dl and how to install.

thanks

any anyone please post the url where to download the 7300 le driver?

Thanks!

I have been trying for hours but without any luck. Could someone please help me out. In short this is what I would like to know:

1. what driver do I need (where do I download this)

2. where can I find this so called modded INF

3. how do I replace the file

as perhaps can tell by my questions, I'm not really an IT guru :)

any help would be very very much appreciated.

best regards

Nghia

any anyone please post the url where to download the 7300 le driver?

Thanks!

Seach the driver section for a Vista driver.

I have been trying for hours but without any luck. Could someone please help me out. In short this is what I would like to know:

1. what driver do I need (where do I download this)

2. where can I find this so called modded INF

3. how do I replace the file

as perhaps can tell by my questions, I'm not really an IT guru :)

any help would be very very much appreciated.

best regards

Nghia

Download the newest 90 series driver and the link to the INF should be there too. To replace the file, just drag it into the folder that your driver is in....Seriously, its not that hard and you'll feel like an idiot for not knowing it :)

Guest hnvuong
Seach the driver section for a Vista driver.

Download the newest 90 series driver and the link to the INF should be there too. To replace the file, just drag it into the folder that your driver is in....Seriously, its not that hard and you'll feel like an idiot for not knowing it :)

yes I figured it out know. It was all in the way the process was described in the FAQ with something like "find the modded INF file for the appropriate notebook model". This made me think there were more types of INF files and that I thus had to rename before replace. :S

but all is well now and I'm a happy man!

I tried everyting you guys have been told about, and finally i get the 96.33 GeForce go 7200 driver version installed, but no Areo Glass AT ALL!.

What else should I have to do? what Im missing?

:)