LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Video Hesitates

Gerry

Hello;

As I slowly get the Inspiron 8100 that I inherited from my daughter running and updated, I've discovered a slight "glich" which i first thought involved playing DVD movies. The audio is fine but every so often the video hesitates or freezes for less that a second that returns to normal. After awhile, it becomes quite annoying. Then I noticed it when the 3D Fishies screensaver came on as well as playing video files in Windows Media Player and IrfanView.

Here's the low down on the hardware and software involved: DVD Player - Toshiba SD-C2502, Firmware version 1D23 12/26/02; Graphics card - nVidia GeForce2 Go 32Mb, driver version 9.1.3.1 6/5/06; DVD Software - Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 Deluxe (recently installed as an update from the version 5 that came with a new DVD-RW drive I got for my Dimension 8200). Please excuse my technical ignorance, but I'm a little uncertain about how to tell what the video Bios is and whether it needs updating or even if that is causing the problem.

Regarding the graphics card. From what I gleaned on the Dell video update forum, it appears the maximum video ram this system can handle is 64MB or at least that's the maximum that the cards designed for this motherboard all have. The suggested best upgrades are 1) Quadro4 700Go GL 64MB (very expensive, even on eBay); 2)nVidia GeForce4 4200 GO 64MB (which apparently is very similar to the Quadro); ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 M9 64MB; and nVidia GeForce4 440GO 64MB. I was planning on doing this updgrade eventually.

Any solutions, advice or direction will be most appreciated. :)

Gerry

Hi there,

The first thing you want to try is to switch on or off the VMR option in the overlay panel of the GeForce properties. The video stuttering will probably go away.

Then you might want to turn off some of PowerDVD video filtering modes... IIRC since version 5 it uses more and more intensive video postprocessing that uses a lot of CPU ressources. While you are there be sure to tick the Hardware acceleration. Especially when you read the minimum requirements...

But you need to know that the recent drivers are less than recommended on your graphic card. Visit the Recommended driver FAQ, you'll see that the optimal driver is the 44.68.

Then you might want to stop using Windows Media Player (ressource hog) and IrfanView (not efficient at viewing videos) for your videos. Media Player Classic is probably the lightest media player. (it uses a GUI similar to Windows Media Player 6.5) In fact I advise you to use the Full K-Lite Codec pack, it features all the codecs required and Media Player Classic.

Yes the Quadro 4 700Go GL and the GeForce 4 4200 Go use the same core. But the 4200 has a higher core frequency. (specs in the Recommended driver FAQ) Now I don't know if those GPUs are compatible with your 8100. I used to have a 8100 with a GeForce 2 Go but never needed to upgrade since I never used it for gaming.

ps: on a side note... screensavers are not your friends. Use the Blank one it saves your screen, your ressources and your electricity bill.

Your best upgrade bet is the 440 go 64MB, the 4200go was NEVER made for the 8100 or 8200, so your only choice for something like that is its Quadro cousin. (the 4200 go was made for the 8500/8600 though)

The 440 go is cheaper and will run games/videos just fine for an old P3 laptop. (can probably pick up for maybe $40-80 if you search)

The Quadro is faster and adds DX8 support (just like the M9) buts its too expensive, especially for an older laptop, plus a lot of newer games don't even run on it anyway.

The next thing is your CPU upgrade, assuming that your laptop's optical drive is not causing DVD problems.

I think the fastest is the 1.2 GHz P3, although I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Edit: I should mention the 4200 go for the 8500/8600 looks like it has the same connectors on the card as the 8200 cards do, so if you can find a way to plug it in to a 8100/8200 motherboard you might get it to work somehow.

This also applies to the GF FX and Quadro FX cards for the 8500/8600/D800, which are the cards from those laptops that you would actually want to mod into an 8200 laptop.

Now we just need somebody crazy enough to try this, I need to open up mine or my friends broke laptop to see if such a card would even fit.

Here is a page with a picture of the card, would probably have to mod it for an 8200 too.

http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500videoheat.htm

The 3rd picture is the actual 4200 go Dell card, here is my 440 go card for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Bil...rdfrontback.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Bil...llcardsouce.jpg

There you can see a good close up of the connectors. The white plugs into the mobo, the black into the LCD screen.

Sorry I don't have a good picture of my Quadro card, must have thought the red X on the top of the heatpad was not picture worthy. Either way it mostly looked the same, except it did not come with a white thing on top.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm not really planning on doing any heavy duty gaming on the 8100. Since this was a "dying" hand-me-down from my daughter, who bought a new HP, I managed to get it up and running along with a couple of upgrades, all for under $125.00 I mainly was intersted in using it, besides some of the more obvious computer functions, as a portable DVD player (watching movies on the deck on those hot nights, vacations, at night in bed so I don't distubed my and other things along those lines. As far as upgrading the graphics card, I'd probably go for the 440, but it's not high on my fix it lists unless I stumble across a real bargain. If it's not really going to make a difference watching DVD's, then I can easily get along without it.

I was wondering about the driver not being optimal, but some of the posts and instructions from various people make choosing one a might confusing. From what I've read, for the best installation, I need to remove the presently installed one first then install the 44.68 version.

I just checked the other media players to see if the problem showed up on them as well. I'm probably going to get rid of Media Player 11 as I don't care for the interface and it's a bit confusing. I'll give the classic version a try. I did reduce all the whistles and bangs on PowerDVD to see if that would help the "stuttering" and it didn't.

I switched the VMR option "on" and will let you know if that did the trick cause, despite my chronic insomnia, it's 0200 hrs and I need to crash.

Again, many thanks for the help. :)

Gerry

:) Okay, I've rolled back the driver to 44.68. I've tried the "span" overlay both on and off. In PowerDVD 7, I tried with and without hardware acceleration. I've even tried using Media Player Classic and I still get the video hesitation or stuttering.

As far as I can tell, my computer should be free of any "bugs'. I'm running avast! AV, Trojan Hunter (got hit with one nasty one that snuck by Norton), Zone Alarm Firewall & SpySweeper. For double checks, I do alternate weekly scans with AdAware SE and Spybot S&D. I also am trying, and will probably keep, Diskeeper and Registry Mechanic. Other than a system optimizer, I think I've all the bases covered. Still, if anyone thinks it's worth a shot I can run a Hijack This log. If so, let me know where the best place to post it would be (I've used both Dell and Tom Coyote forums).

As I mentioned earlier, I'm mainly interested in getting good DVD movie performance. If PowerDVD 7 is too hefty for my system, I'm open to alternatives. I would like to have the "pan and scan" option as virtually all of my movies are widescreen and obviously the 8100 is not. I tried the OEM Nero player that also came with the DVD recorder I put in my Dimension, but it caused all sorts of problems but in looking back, much of it may have been as a result of this stuttering situation.

I appreciate the help.

Gerry

You probably older than me... so you'll understand the memory muscle taking longer to respond. :)

I just remembered that when I had that type of CPU in my desktop computer I used PowerDVD 4 (may be 5). And I also remembered that bad sound driver leaded to exessive CPU usage. So you might want to set the audio output to just stereo instead of "whatever_fancy_name_they_invented".

Then monitor your CPU usage... past a steady 90% you are likely to run into issues.

While you are there you might want to display the kernel time to be sure that it's not your drive that sucks all the CPU. It it's the case you might want to check that UDMA is activated on the IDE channel where your DVD reader is located.

Fabrice;

Yeah, you've got almost 20 years on me :)

I tried changing the settings in PowerDVD to no effect. In any event, I'm no longer sure that PowerDVD is the real problem. The choppy video/movie playback shows up in nearly every application that uses video files (wmv, mpg, even animated gifs and the like). Doesn't seem to matter what media player I use. Also, while I know screen savers are pretty useless for laptops, I wanted a 3D Tropical Fish one to watch as a de-stresser. However, even the native Windows screensavers exhibit this random choppiness. As with movie and other video playback, everything will appear smooth anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds before there's this slight pause. There's no regular pattern to it and whatever the problem is, it doesn't affect audio playback.

Just a thought, but could a screensaver program, such as the inexpensive "AquaReal 3D" that I've installed on my system, cause a problem such as this?

Well, as much as I enjoy a challange, this one's getting a bit annoying. Plus, I'm sure it will have a simple an obvious solution staring me right in the face.

Well, much as I am a night owl (from almost 12 years working nights), I should get some sack time.

Have a nice day.

Gerry

Edited by Gerry

Well this AquaReal 3D is beyond screensaver... it adds realtime 3D fishes to the Windows Desktop.

dsktop02.jpgdsktop03.jpg

*clearing voice* *picking up the transatlantic bullhorn*

TURN IT OFF!!!

:) Okay, I did have everything but the screensaver option turned off and only one of the two programs installed. However, as you so quietly suggested :) , I uninstalled it. The result was less frequent skips but now more pronounced. I freely admit I don't kbnow mcuh about the GeForce Manager settings so I'm open to suggestions to see if that might resolve this nagging problem. Also, I'm giving Real Player a try (it's been awhile since I last used it and so far I can't stand the plethora of advertisements. Is the Pro version any better. In any event, the skipping/hesitation/stuttering shows up in Real Player too.

I appreciate your willingness to keep working with me on trying to resolve this.

Gerry

Ok I have a little experiment for you to try. If you have a switch to go from integrated graphics to dedicated, make it use integrated. If you dont have a switch on your laptop, then try replacing your GPU with one that you know works, mabe from an old laptop or switch it with a friends' for a few minutes and see if the problem persists.

Unfortunately, all that's a bit above my level of expertise, even if I had someone available to try the swapout. I suppose I should try and get a consensus as to whether this is a hardware or software problem. Perhaps I should start budgeting for that card upgrade sooner than later.

If it's a software issue, as it's only been about a month or so since I put in the new HD and started rebuilding the system, maybe I should consider going back to square one, reformat and start over.

Gerry

Could you post your log of HijackThis? It will allow us to know what's running in the background that might kill the video rendering.

Hello Fabrice;

Here's my HJT log;

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 3:04:59 AM, on 8/24/2006

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\imapi.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

C:\Program Files\DELL\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\PuXpMan2.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

C:\Program Files\TRENDnet\TRENDnet TEW-424UB\TRENDnet.exe

C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE

C:\Program Files\HiJackThis!\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.myway.com/index.jsp?speedbarconfigchanged

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [synTPEnh] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [spySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bootSkin Startup Jobs] "C:\Program Files\Stardock\WinCustomize\BootSkin\BootSkin.exe" /StartupJobs

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DadApp] "C:\Program Files\DELL\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.5\THGuard.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mspwr] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PuXpMan2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PwrUpTweakMe] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\PuXpTwks.exe" /TWEAK

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe

O4 - Startup: Snsicon.lnk = C:\Program Files\Second Nature\Snsicon.exe

O4 - Global Startup: TEW-424UB Utility.lnk = ?

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - -{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - -{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll

O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} - http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB

O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1154358597230

O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll

O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll

O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)

O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

Gerry

Holly cr@p... you have gazillion Anti-Spyware / Anti virus tools.

It seems that you use Zone Alarm integrated anti virus... dump the rest.

So to the tools you want to dump:

- Avast 4.

- DiskKeeper. (if you want to use a great defrag tool use Perfect Disk it does magic and is rather inexpensive)

- Spy Sweeper. (you want to use Zone Alarm integrated protection AND good procedures)

- TrendNet.

- Ashampoo PowerUPXP. (at least don't run it at every boot)

- Trojan Hunter.

I would not even install these on my desktop Athlon X2 4400 with 3Gb and it's SATA2 steroid HDD... On an Inspiron 8100... NO WAY.

Install the tool called Startup CPL, it adds a Control panel Startup element that allows to disable the automatic launch of the following stuff:

- Real player updater.

- Java runtime updater.

If you want to protect yourself from spyware and other stuff plaguing the internet... Use Firefox with ADBlock+ and NoScript. This will block the JavaScript and adds on all websites... but you'll be able to permanently allow it on your favorites (bank, stores...) or temporary if the site doesn't behaves as expected. (frozen menus, inactive links,...)

If you need to use Internet Explorer be sure to run SpyWare Blaster from time to time to block the known bad objects, cookies and websites.

I hope you were kidding lead factor, the 8100 does not have an integrated to graphics card switch, in fact these switches were not invented yet for laptops back then. (about 5 years ago almost)

Sorry, I know absolutely s*** about Dells...And about what model was made when :)

Just scratch that post

Okay, here's the deal so you don't think I'm an entire head case (partial head case I'll admit to).

I'm using just the free Zone Alarm firewall program. I'm using the freeware version of Avast! as my AV and I've been pretty impressed with it so far. SpySweeper is my real time anti-spyware program. I use the free version of AdAware SE and Spybot as a double check on SpySweeper. I alternate between the two and run weekly manual scans. I've had several knowledgeable security people (as well as this month's Consumer Reports) highly recommend doing this with at least 1 alternate anti-spyware program. I'll probably eliminate one or the other eventually. I've just started a trial use of Diskeeper but will take a look at Perfect Disk. I was using a program called Startup Mechanic for a long time but recently started using "Startup Inspector" which stays more up to date than Startup Mechanic and seems to cover a broader range of programs. I don't run Ashampoo PowerUp at every boot, but since I installed it, except for the video problem, the system seems to be running better than when I first put in the new HD. I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird for almost 2 years now. I've never been able to bring myself to use IE and before Firefox, I was a confirmed Netscape user (until AOL wrecked it). I suppose everyone has their own favorite programs and setup. I'm still experimenting but I try to keep the number of background programs at a minimum. Oh, I am a bit paranoid because about the time I switched to Earthlink DSL, somehow a Klez worm and a Trojan attached to something called "NSIS Media"slipped by Norton AV and royally fouled up both my Dimension and Inspiron.

Regarding the Trendnet Utility. I just picked up a virtually brand new Trendnet 424UB USB WiFi adapter to replace the Linksys PCMCIA card that was nothing but a royal headache from day one (long story for another time). When I used Windows Network manager run the adapter, it kept dropping the connection at unprdictable intervals. When I switched to the Trendnet Utility, I've stayed connected for hours and maintained a better connection. Go figure. I'll follow one of Murphy's axioms, "If something works, don't screw with it."

Which brings us back to the video situation. I'm gathering you saw nothing odd in the log that would accound for the poor video. I did a Google search and found several similiar suggestions advising the following: write or print out a list of all programs/services/apps running; boot up in the safe mode and see if the video performance is better. If so either turn off or on each of the items on the list if and until one of them turns out to be the culprit.

I've also put up a post on Dell's and nVidia's forums but so far no response.

Thanks all for trying to help.

Gerry

I overlooked the Trend thingy as the TrendMicro Antivirus. I overlooked the vsmon process as the ZoneAlarm Suite or Zone Alarm Antivirus antivirus module. I'll rephrase my statement.

You have what I consider the bare minimum CPU and memory wise to run Windows XP SP2. Having that many program scaning the RAM and the HDD for viruses / spyware / *you pick* have an impact on your global system performances. As you stated try to keep the background program to minimum... so my advise use Zone Alarm Suite that features a nice net firewall, a nice "OS firewall" and the Computer Associates antivirus engine. In one program you'll have the smallest footprint and ressource overhead.

In order to achieve good protection with lower ressource footprint... on small computers I put Zone Alarm Suite... on others I put CA Etrust Antivirus and Zone Alarm Pro.

Hello One and All;

Maybe I didn't make it clear at the outset, the Inspiron is just a secondary computer for me to have some fun with, write a few emails, surf the web, occasionly check out a naughty website (I'm older, not dead yet), watch some DVD's, play a few basic games. I'm trying to fix it up on a very, very limited budget. I suppose, I could have just bought a new system, given how inexpensive laptops are these days, but being old school so to speak, I just hated the idea of trashing something that could be saved with a little TLC and some shrewed eBay deals. I'm also experimenting with various software trials and freeware to find a happy medium between what the system can handle, what I like, what works and what I can afford. I know there are some unnecessary apps, like Bootskin, running but it brings a smile to my face to see a CIA warning screen when the system boots up. Plus I'm trying to sort though the well intentioned advice I'm getting from many sources and make sense of it all. I'll take a look at the Zone Alarm Suites.

My primary system is a Dimension 8200 (P4, 1.8; 512 RDRAM; 64MB nVidia GeForce2 MX, 40GB HD; DVD ROM and 19" CRT) which I hope to get a few more years out of with some sorely needed upgrades to it. I've already replaced the CD-RW with a 16X DVD RW mainly because I stumbled upon a real bargain on eBay and couldn't pass it up. Obviously the priorities for this girl are boosting the RAM to 1.0 or 1.5GB (which won't be cheap even saving the 512MB that I have (all because I bought into Dell's "RDRAM is the way to go" pitch), a 256MB graphics card and bigger HD (even though the 40GB is just slightly more than half full). However, my spouse also uses this computer and she is an almost rabid techno-phobe when comes to these sort of things. I took her a year to admit DSL was better than dial-up and she's just now grudgingly admitting that the new 1.5-1.8 Mbps we're getting from Earthlink's 3.0 package (I'm 3,100 feet from the Telco's Central Office hence the lower rates) is better than the 650kbps we were getting from our old provider. Lastly, it still has sveral gliches left over from the Klez and Trojan infections, plus some unintentional "fixes" my spouse attempted rather than asking me but I haven't had time to delve deeper into it. Since I added Registry Mechanic and Diskeeper, there has been a noticable improvement in system response.

In any event, back to video problem and the HJT log, about which I have a couple of questions. I'm eventually going to do a Google search for the answer, but how the heck do I get rid of the Microsoft Works update application. I know this is a common source of frustration for many and no matter how I try to disable it, once I reboot, there it is again. Next, under O16, the line referring to PC Pitstop; it tried it, didn't like it and uninstalled it. My only concern about deleting that line is I believe Registry Mechanic is from the same company and I don't know if removing the line will affect that program. Same for the entry under O9 referring to windows messenger. I don't want it; I disabled it under the add/remove Windows components yet there it is. Can I safely delete that line? Other than that, if you see something running that I could handle manually instead of automatically, let me know and if possible how to make the change.

Back to the video, any merit to the booting up in Safe mode idea? Any other suggestions?

Hopefully, I haven't bored everyone to tears and apologize for being so verbose.

Gerry

I don't want to impose a solution on you... it's just that you can't bloat a 2003 class laptop with a bunch of 2006 class programs without having side effects. In your case slowdowns.

Back in the days I doubted those registry optimized big time... I took a freshly installed w98se and w2k both were found with gazillion "registry errors". I'm sure they eveolved but it seems that your Registry Mechanic is not doing his job, it should remove the references to the missing files. (look at 023 left overs)

Crack that bloat the registry comes from user software install.

Klez used vulnerabilities in Outlook and Outlook Express. At that time the main protection was to use a real email client. :) Right now I think that the "OS firewall" might blow his whistle on this kind of attack.

The extra elements on your HJT log are the addons to Internet Explorer.

Could you provide a screenshot of the task manager when you read a DVD with PowerDVD. Be sure to tick the display kernel time. (or whatever its name in english)

Well, I tried running several different DVDs in the safe mode and each time received the following error message: "Error Code F4D41436 TV Out Port not working properly". I did a Google check on the code and there was plently of confusing information. From what my enfeebled mind could make out, it was suggested having something to do with the nVidia driver version and possibly not being certified (44.68). Also some mention was made of copy protection, which is why I tried a couple of different ones (a few that I know aren't copy protected). There were several suggestions to roll it further back but many of these responses were from several years ago.

At this point would it be worth going back and trying the original driver supplied by Dell or the "critical" updated driver Windows XP tried to install that, IIRC is dated about a year or two later than the Dell driver? I'm just about weary enough of trying to figure this out, that I'm ready to wipe the drive and start over. :) The only thing stopping me is the possibility it might be a hardware problem and the fact it's a royal pain to do, even with the limited amount of software I have installed (and backed up).

Regarding the Task Manager which tab do you want? Processes or Perfromance? Then, at the risk of displaying my ignorance, how do I go about getting a screen shot? :)

Gerry

Alt+PrtSc takes a screenshot of whatever window you have open...Just go into Paint afterwards and hit paste.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

It's the performance tab... be sure to tick the kernel option in the menu so the kelnel cpu usage shows in red.

Thanks to The_Lead_Factor for the assist.

Here it is as an attachment as I don't have my own site. I also saved the processes if you need to see it.

Gerry

Thanks to The_Lead_Factor for the assist.

Here it is as an attachment as I don't have my own site. I also saved the processes if you need to see it.

Gerry

Post Script: Here's my second try at this.

post-4548-1156663881_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gerry

Ah, sometimes chronic insomnia can be your friend. I turned off all the security & utility programs showing in the taskbar window and unplugged the WiFi adapter. Started a DVD (In Harm's Way w/John Wayne and Kirk Douglas :) ) then turned them on, one by one. Naturally it was the very last one I activated that caused the video skipping. The answer is....ZoneAlarm Firewall. I tried the Windows Firewall and it did not cause any video problems.

I knew it was going to be something simple. As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!" I should have thought about trying this sooner. Oh well, I've gotten to meet a few new folk so it's okay!

I'll leave it to you more knowledgeable computer wizards to figure out why. I had trouble with ZoneAlarm's firewall on my Dimension about a year ago; the problem then was that it gobbled up all available memory. Fortunately it's the freeware version and unless soneone knows of some setting changes that might correct this, tomorrow it's adios ZoneAlarm and hello XP firewall.

Thanks, especially Fabrice, for the assistance.

Gerry

Edited by Gerry