LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How much faster with RAID?

mattias

Another common misconception: RAID 0 doesn't make drives more likely to fail and it doesn't fail every drive if one does.

So while your statement is OK, it's innaccurate since:

1- May be you didn't understood my statement... I'm not talking about each HDD of the RAID 0 stripe reliability. I'm talking about the global reliability of the "virtual" HDD seen by the PC. When you combine 2 weak elements to make another one... it will end up less reliable each element individually.

I call a HDD weak element because once you have a good PSU and good capacitors on your motherboard... the weakest link on your PC is the thingy with moving parts called hard disk drive.

2- What happens to be on the HDD range from futile to very important. I don't give a ###### if I lose some funny video or a program installer found on the internet.... but I'd would be pretty pissed if I lost even one picture of my baby girl or a report for a client. It's a matter of priorities, I don't care if Counter Strile Source loads a level in 85s instead of 90s but I do care about my data safety.

I lost a complete Windows 2000 RAID 0 system a buch of years ago. I used 2 20Gb drives... fortunately I store a copy of my important data on a third drive. One of the 20Gb failed... the other one was safe but only with unusable data on it.

IMHO:

Was the PC faster? Yes.

Was it worth it? No, even for the small gain in games load times.

So for me the data safety centric guy... on a laptop with 2 drives. I would keep RAID aside and keep a backup of my data on each hard disk.

Guest Matt Helyar

If you are really that focussed on having backed up data and you only have 2 drives, raid 1 should be perfect for you since it is an identical back up of your whole drive written at the same time on both drives (which also boosts read speeds); most home users aren't that scared of drive failure or have that important data that they need raid 1.

1- May be you didn't understood my statement...

I wasn't referring to any of your statements through my post, i was simply saying what a common misconception is. It should be obvious that i knew all that you just said in response if you had read my whole paragraph.

Remember, the original post was asking about the performance gains of using RAID instead of individual drives, and that's what i was writing about.

If you are really that focussed on having backed up data and you only have 2 drives, raid 1 should be perfect for you since it is an identical back up of your whole drive written at the same time on both drives (which also boosts read speeds); most home users aren't that scared of drive failure or have that important data that they need raid 1.

I'm working on a large laptop that can only use one drive... so RAID is NOGO. :) My backup scheme uses Flash SD or USB flash key for imediate in the field backup.

At home I have a network storage and 2 USB storages. One of them is exchanged every once in a while with my dad so we have "crossed backups". The last point the emails... I use the laptop as reference but it leaves the emails on the server and my desktop PC retrieve them for final storage.

For my desktop I have 2 disks, the first one is partitionned and holds the system, the apps, the games and a backup of my data. The second disk is the data original... (my documents folder, my profiles, my pictures...)

Remember, the original post was asking about the performance gains of using RAID instead of individual drives, and that's what i was writing about.

Yeah I forgot that it could happen... after 3 posts on a forum the flow can still be on topic. :)

• 8 months later...

Saving and opening huge files in 3D apps or photoshop is FAST.

Probably the best improvement is in file searching/scanning.

Virus scanning with my 2 7200 goes through about 200gb of data in a few minutes.

Also copying pasting huge amounts of data on your drives zips by - the 'hours of wait' from a few years back are gone (and with lots more data).

So if you have lots of video data lying around you need move/organize - it's great.

If you want an impressive FPS get SLI or update your v-card, everything else isn't really worth it (other than the obvious adding RAM).

• 2 weeks later...
I don't want these 7200 rpm... main reason NOISE.

um i know this is a little of topic now but i upgraded from a 4200 rpm derive to a 5400 rpm drive and it got quiter. and i know the 7200rpm drives in my pc are quieter because the side panel is always off and the tower sits beside me with the open area toward me. so um the 7200rpm should not get louder.