LaptopVideo2Go Forums

turbocache or not

highlight

In nvidia display properties it only says: geforce go 6200 and nothing about turbocache. Does it mean I haven't got it (turbocache)?

Turbocache is totally automatic. I had a 6200 Turbocache (not a laptop card though) and I didnt have any options for turbocache. it was even on a nForce 4 mobo so if there were hidden options for it, you'd think the nForce boards would have 'em.

I like turbocache cards for a few reasons. #1 is they require very little onboard memory, and because PCI-Express runs so quick you barely notice the difference between onboard memory and shared (turbocache, hypermemory for ATi) it's automatically assigned up to 1/2 of your system memory (depending on the model, if it is a 128MB turbocache, you would need 256MB of RAM, a 256 would require 512MB system RAM, etc.)

#2 is they're very very cheap (got mine brand new for $90CAD)

a reason I dont like turbocache is they leech of system memory so unless you have alot to spare, probably not the best idea to get one. for me 512MB is fine for semi-new games (san andreas worked flawlessly)

but other than that, answer to your question is it will read as a regular 6200 (or go6200 depending on what you have), everything else is hidden and automatic in terms of turbocache.