LaptopVideo2Go Forums

is it safe to run a 3dmark with high overclock

mattias

is it safe to run a 3dmark05 IF you have overclock to much. can i overheat the videocard so it gets destroyed, or shut the laptop off automatlicy if the temp gets to high. i thinking to test 380/760 in 3dmark05 and see how many points i get. if i dont see any artifacts and if the temp is ok, i should be able to test the settings in BF2, or ?

i read here on the forum that you get the best "power" if the memory is double the core. it should be nice if it works. is it someone here who test this settings (380/760) with a go6800 ?

Edited by mattias

No its not safe.....Your laptop will explode and painfully gouge your eyes out. :)

Lol of course its safe. The worst that will happen is your laptop overheats and shuts down. That wont break your video card.

you get the best "power" if the memory is double the core.
A new urban legend? Where's the source of this assumption? Beware of generalization in the heat-suffering Laptop world-

A new urban legend? Where's the source of this assumption? Beware of generalization in the heat-suffering Laptop world-

so then, its not true that you get the best power with 2x memory against the core !

Depends on how good the cooling on your laptop is. If it can handle those temps, then you should try and increase it until you get too hot. Most of the laptops ive seen can only handle the memory clock at twice the core, give or take a few points.

so then, its not true that you get the best power with 2x memory against the core !

Do a VERY SIMPLE test:

- set the GPU and the RAM at the same frequency. So the DDR will be at twice the GPU clock. Run a 3DMark.

- now remove one MHz to the RAM clock. And run another 3DMark.

Do a VERY SIMPLE test:

- set the GPU and the RAM at the same frequency. So the DDR will be at twice the GPU clock. Run a 3DMark.

- now remove one MHz to the RAM clock. And run another 3DMark.

what do you mean with RAM, you dont mean the RAMmemory, 2 x 512mb DDR2 so-dimm 533 mhz?

the last point i understood, i drop some scores in 3dmark, if i dont have 2 x memory against the core.

Could you stop spaming me with personal messages you already post to the forum...

No its not safe.....Your laptop will explode and painfully gouge your eyes out. :)

Lol of course its safe. The worst that will happen is your laptop overheats and shuts down. That wont break your video card.

I remembered this post... this morning when I read about your fried GPU.

YES overclock can kill a GPU. (from silicon migration to plain burn)

As suicidal as he is, I didnt expect him to overclock THAT much :)

Anyway, I told him to make sure his temps stayed below 70C :)

Edited by Fabrice Roux

Overclocking will only hurt any computer if it is not cooled efficiently enough, or if it shuts down and starts up frequently (if you've ever seen a piece of metal heat up and cool rapidly, it cracks and eventually breaks)

Overclocking can be done quickly and easily now, some newer video cards (post FX) can actually self-overclock to their highest stable clocks within a few seconds, some do it without having to press a button too.

Clocking the memory 2x the core clock to get the best performance is a complete myth. My laptop runs the most stable at 244/477. the core will not go any higher and neither will the memory without visual artifacts. overclocking the memory to 488 I don't see any performance boost. Pretty much it is overclock until you either cant anymore, or you dont want to. Can't overclock is defined as you hit a clock speed at the point which the card is unstable (such as visual artifacts)

When I refer to RAM or memory, I'm referring to the memory on the video card (if any).

I have now 380/760 ,forceware 84.25, 3dmark05=4583 points=yeaah, orginal VBIOS. When i test this settings in BF2 with; 1152 x 864, 4 x AA, maximum shadows, etc. fps=75-99, the temp never goes over 70 C. go6800 is really a "overclock champion" like someone said.

ps. wondering if i can O.C. near a go6800ultra, its only 70 mhz left ? the coolingsystem works perfectly, so why not. correct if im wrong, but isn`t go6800ultra exactly the same card like go6800, but with a better fan.

pss. who`s actually right here ? one guy says "Clocking the memory 2x the core clock to get the best performance is a complete myth" and then Fabrice Roux (who i belive have right here) says the opposite.

Edited by mattias

I told you already, Its not who is right or wrong, Its how cool you can keep your GPU. Most of the laptops ive fixed and overclocked reach their limits when the memory is close to double the core. This doesnt mean exactly at double the core, just within 40-100 points of it.

memory being double the core is just a general rule of thumb, it's approximately where the memory on the card will max out. it's not entirely true however, my FX Go5200 maxes out at 244MHz core and 477MHz memory (or 238.5MHz RAMDAC), basically, it runs the memory at the same speed as the core, but being DDR, it's 'effective' speed would be double that.

hope I didnt cause any confusion lol

pss. who`s actually right here ? one guy says "Clocking the memory 2x the core clock to get the best performance is a complete myth" and then Fabrice Roux (who i belive have right here) says the opposite.

There is no to little gain of running the RAM at the same speed as the GPU. (it's the DDR that doubles the frequency)

*clearing voice*It's a freaking myth. I told you to do a TEST at what you believe was the magic most efficient setting then run the same test taking off some MHz out of the RAM clock.

So please stop beating the dead horse.

So please stop beating the dead horse.

Like this? :)

BeatDeadHorse.gif

ive never understand whats so funny with "lol", but some people seems to like it. (im been sarcastic ofcourse)