LaptopVideo2Go Forums

6600 GO external monitor horizontal flicker

cjones1344

i have an asus z71v with a geforce 6600 go 128 meg card. its a 2ghz pentium m processor and i have 2gigs of ram. currently i have an acer 1916w 19inch widescreen lcd with a native resolution of 1440x900 connected to the vga out on the laptop. its set on horizontal span with a resolution of 2880x900. when i first got the monitor it worked great on this resolution connected to the laptop. about a month ago though, a horizontal flicker appeared. its like lines across the screen flash lighter all the way up the screen. it almost looks like a horizontal refresh issue. i know its not the monitor because i've hooked it up to other computers and it works fine, i know its not the horizontal span because i've set it as the primary display and turned the laptop display off and it still does the flickering. whats even weirder is that when i do anything that required video processing power, like move windows around for instance, the flicker gets way worse. i have the refresh rate set at 60hz and the monitor's osm shows the refresh at 55khz horizontal 59 hz vertical. the computer shows my lcd as a crt screen in the nview menu, so i thought maybe that could be part of it. i have installed monitor drivers multiple times with different drivers and let the computer redetect the monitor. i've redone the video card drivers 3 times with a different version each time. i have no idea whats causing it and its driving me nuts, i cant even use photoshop because of the grey background because the flicker is so bad its maddening. any help will be really appreciated.

:)

You want to do some cross checking:

- use the external screen as main/only screen.

- try another VGA cable.

- hook the laptop to another screen.

Could you confirm that you are not using your laptop screen at its native resolution of 1680x1050. If it's the case set both screens at their native resolutions.

sorry missed that last part at first, no since its on horizontal span with a resolution of 2880x900, both monitors are running at 1440x900. this is the native resolution for the external monitor, but not the native resolution for the laptop screen.

Why would you want to use the same resolution on both... use the native resolutions.

i want it on horizontal span, not dualview, and its impossible to have one screen on 1680x1050 and the other on 1440x900 on horizontal span. also i tried setting to native resolutions right after the problem started, changing the resolution isnt going to help because its the laptop screen that is set to a resolution other than its native, not the external. the external is set at native resolution and refresh rate. i am nearly positive that the problem lies within the card itself, but nothing i've tried has worked and i'm out of ideas.

Having different resolutions on both screens is possible. Set each screen to it's native resolution. Then from the display properties setting page move the screen to whatever position matches your setting.

On my 6800 I use external displays in various resolutions. 1280x1024 on my old CRT and 1920x1200 on my new LCD. It works on both VGA and DVI.

setting to native resolution doesn't help the problem