LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GO 7600, Alienware, and new driver problems

skpyine27

I am a new nVIDIA laptop user, and am trying to update my Alienware m5550's video drivers.

I saw the thread:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....mp;hl=alienware

and downloaded the appropriate version (87.25) and the modded INF.

HOWEVER, when I run setup.exe in the driver folder, I can NOT get the drivers to install. If I copy the modded INF into the driver folder and over write the original, or even if I DONT, I get the same error message "The nvidia setup program can not locate any drivers that are compatible with your hardware. Setup wil now exit"

Any suggestions? I have a GO 7600 w/ 256 MB that doesn't preform any better than my ATI x700 in my other laptop, an I suspect it's due my ATI always having the latest Catalyst drivers, and my 7600 being stuck with whatever Alienware sees fit. I'd also like to over clock the 7600 a few MHZ, and the alienware drivers do not allow this, even when adding the coolbits.reg hack.

Thanks guys

Edited by skpyine27

Wohoo....2nd Alienware person in 3 days :)

Anyway, Use 84.74 from this site along with the modded INF. Its an old official Alienware driver but its the best ive seen from them. Plus, Its one of the fastest drivers around.

Oh and how good is the cooling on the m5550? My m5500 needed to be raised a bit before enough air was being taken in.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

Tried the above post. Still does not work. Why is it SO difficult to install video drivers? It was easy as hell with my Acer and ATI card. Just downloaded the new mobile catalyst right off the ATI website, and they installed fine.

I downloaded 84.74 off the website, and ran the setup.exe file. SAME error message "setup does not detect any hardware that is supported..."

Then I copied in the modded inf file, which is named nv4.inf, and the one on the 84.74 folder is named nvar.inf. I renamed the modded inf file to nvar, and over wrote the original. Ran setup again, and SAME error message.

Has anyone on this board actually installed new drivers in their Alienware? The main feature Im looking forward to being able to over clock the card 5 mhz or so. You cant over clock at ALL with the Alienware drivers, the coolbits reg function does not work.

(in response to your cooling)

When using the machine on my lap, it I do find it gets a little warm. I have not done any hard gaming with the computer on my lap, but Im sure it would be uncomfortable. But as long as its on a desktype surface, who cares.

Edited by skpyine27

There have been a few people here with Alienware's and they(myself included) updated fine. I think theres something wrong with the file you downloaded since the modded INF is already named nvar.inf.

There have been a few people here with Alienware's and they(myself included) updated fine. I think theres something wrong with the file you downloaded since the modded INF is already named nvar.inf.

Do you have a download link to that modded INF that worked for you? Also, how did you over clock your video card in your alienware? The coolbits.reg hack does not seem to work on my GO 7600. You can change the settings, but they are "wiped" by the video card as soon as you close the window, and it returns back to 450/350

Thanks for any help.

Why did you PM me the same question? Thas a big No-No :)

Edited by The_Lead_Factor