LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help with GO 7600, Alienware, and forceware drivers...

skpyine27

I am a new nVIDIA laptop user, and am trying to update my Alienware m5550's video drivers.

I saw the thread:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....mp;hl=alienware

and downloaded the appropriate version (87.25) and the modded INF.

HOWEVER, when I run setup.exe in the driver folder, I can NOT get the drivers to install. If I copy the modded INF into the driver folder and over write the original, or even if I DONT, I get the same error message "The nvidia setup program can not locate any drivers that are compatible with your hardware. Setup wil now exit"

Any suggestions? I have a GO 7600 w/ 256 MB that doesn't preform any better than my ATI x700 in my other laptop, an I suspect it's due my ATI always having the latest Catalyst drivers, and my 7600 being stuck with whatever Alienware sees fit. I'd also like to over clock the 7600 a few MHZ, and the alienware drivers do not allow this, even when adding the coolbits.reg hack.

Thanks guys

Even if the 7600 drivers didn't squeezed every single drop of juice in the GPU, they are pretty close to the best you could get. Unless you have a pre-84.12 driver there is little to gain from "newer" drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Uniwill P53Ni0-Notebook, which I think is the ODM-Basis of the Area 51 m5550 and I had the same performance problems with the original driver but was able to install the 91.33 with the modded inf. My notebook came with a 84.XX (don't know exactly) version of the nvidia driver. With this version installed i got about 1400 points in 3Dmark06. With the 91.33 version installed i get about 2200 points. I was wondering about that great difference but the original driver which originally came with the notebook definately sucks! :)

But I have other problems with my notebook, as I wrote in the german section of the board. My GPU has IDLE-temperatures up to 80 *C because the fan first starts at that temp to cool down the GPU to 70 *C. When I play a game like BF2, I monitored temps up to 92 *C. I think thats really a lot, maybe to much. But I was reading about the same heat-probs with many Alienware Area51 m5550 laptops too.

But the performance of this laptop is really good. :)

And what's strange is that most m5500's are just as good as the 5550 and idle at around 55*C :)