LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Major problem with GeForce Go FX 5700 64Mb and Acer 1526WLMi

Anaerin

I have an Acer Aspire 1526WLMi (AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512Mb RAM, VIA K8N800 Chipset), which has a GeForce Go FX 5700 daughterboard.

The problem is, when I start the laptop, the "Boot Logo" as it initialises the BIOS has vertical lines down it, which continue into the BIOS setup screen, and the Windows XP Loading screen.

Windows XP will run in VGA mode just fine, but as soon as I try and load any NVidia drivers (62.86 from the Acer website, 73.xx from here) the machine bluescreens with a STOP error, right at the point where the screen would normally flicker, and before the reboot request.

Using a KUbuntu Live CD, the system will boot into X, but will display so badly corrupted it's impossible to make anything out other than the pointer (Which is fine, though it's shadow is grey vertical lines, rather than the proper shadow it should be).

And, of course, the machine's now out of warranty, so it'll cost $485 just to send it in for an assessment, or $2.79/min to talk to a tech to see if I can buy a replacement VGA board.

So, My question(s) is:

Is this a hardware fault?

If so, where can I get a replacement VGA Daughterboard (As, IIRC, this Acer base system is also used by other manufacturers, so 3rd-party parts shouldn't be so hard to come by)

If not, how can I fix it?

Or, am I shelling out to call Acer, or even biting the bullet and save my pennies to buy a new laptop?

Thanks in Advance

Not being able to boot Ubuntu is not a good sign. The base mode uses a simple nvidia display mode. No fancy thingies like advanced control panel or OpenGL. But it could be a compatibility issue between your hardware and Ubuntu.

Unless you already witness your laptop working OK with Ubuntu.

It seems that your GPU is still alive so it might be a good time to clean the fans, heatsinks and replace the thermal paste. Just in case...

Not being able to boot Ubuntu is not a good sign. The base mode uses a simple nvidia display mode. No fancy thingies like advanced control panel or OpenGL. But it could be a compatibility issue between your hardware and Ubuntu.

Unless you already witness your laptop working OK with Ubuntu.

When the laptop starts up, there's vertical lines over the display (And they stay on the display through both the KUbuntu and WinXP loading screens)LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.zip

This laptop was running kubuntu just fine before, with no problems whatsoever.

I've noticed something else, however. If I warm-reboot the box from Windows XP and boot from the kubuntu LiveCD, the bottom 2/3rds of the screen are the "Windows is shutting down" screen, the mouse pointer's shadow is lines, and the top 1/3rd of the screen is corrupt. But the system stops loading at that point.

Like so:

It seems that your GPU is still alive so it might be a good time to clean the fans, heatsinks and replace the thermal paste. Just in case...

I've had it all apart, and it's all de-clogged.

Something I did remember, however, is that the problems started when I put the newly-released 91.xx Quadro drivers on here (Which didn't work). Is is possible that something in that newer driver has killed the GPU or Video RAM?

Pictures attached of the video corruption

post-4639-1156984118_thumb.png

post-4639-1156984151_thumb.png

Something I did remember, however, is that the problems started when I put the newly-released 91.xx Quadro drivers on here (Which didn't work). Is is possible that something in that newer driver has killed the GPU or Video RAM?

Smells like memory issues... since Ubuntu used to work it's sure it's a hardware issue.

Keep in mind that RIGHT NOW the 91.xx is recommended only for SLI users. And that the optimal driver for FX serie is in the 67.66 range.

Smells like memory issues... since Ubuntu used to work it's sure it's a hardware issue.

This is my thinking too, unfortunately

Keep in mind that RIGHT NOW the 91.xx is recommended only for SLI users. And that the optimal driver for FX serie is in the 67.66 range.

I know, and I tried the 67.66 (Which are Acer's recommended and provided drivers), which had the same result: When the graphics card attempted to initialise, the system reset.

However, the Windows XP "VGA" driver can run the display fine (Albeit slowly) at 1024x768, so I can use the laptop for basic stuff, just no gaming or video playback.

So, anyone got an Acer GeForce FX Go 5700 Daughterboard for sale? :)

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, I've got the same problem now with my Aspire 1522LMi (GeForce Go 5700). Windows can run only in safe mode or in normal mode, but without graphic card driver. I've got the vertical lines too over the display same as you! How large this problem is? Can the service replace only graphic card module, or must replace mainboard? How expensive the repair will be? Please, help me...

Thanx very much.

Greetings from Czech!

OMG, I've got the same problem now with my Aspire 1522LMi (GeForce Go 5700). Windows can run only in safe mode or in normal mode, but without graphic card driver. I've got the vertical lines too over the display same as you! How large this problem is? Can the service replace only graphic card module, or must replace mainboard? How expensive the repair will be? Please, help me...

Last time I had to get this replaced (Yes, it happened before) they had to replace the whole mainboard, as the GeForce Go 5700 module doesn't have a part number of it's own (According to the "Field Replacable Unit" manual, it's part number is "TBD"). However, last time my laptop was still under warranty, so I don't know how much it would cost. I did, however, get a quote of $450 from Acer Canada, but that was just to take the laptop and diagnose the problem, without the cost of extra parts.

• 3 weeks later...

hardware problem

i had it too and they replced all mainboard (on warranty)

Aspire 1424WLMI

now in exchange i have problem with playing video - sometimes it turns green and computer froze

I have tried many drivers without sucsess

Only whithout nvidia drivers theres no that problem

hardware problem

i had it too and they replced all mainboard (on warranty)

Aspire 1424WLMI

now in exchange i have problem with playing video - sometimes it turns green and computer froze

I have tried many drivers without sucsess

Only whithout nvidia drivers theres no that problem

sorry 1524WLMI

Same problem I have on my Aspire 1710 laptop, nVidia GeForce Fx Go5700 64mb video card.

This occured after its LCD display died and in service they exchanged the inverter.

Few minutes after I got it home and start using it again, the screen froze in Windows environment.

Now I use it like you guys, without original drivers, with this crappy vertical lines and no hardware acceleration.

If any of you finds this vga board for sale please let me know. Thanks.