LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Vaio SZ1XP (Go 7400) problem with Samsung 244T

otten

I have a Vaio SZ1XP (NVIDIA Go 7400) and I'm trying to connect it to a Samsung 244T monitor.

The monitor simply does not recognize any signal coming in from the Vaio.

The monitor works perfectly well with analogue and/or digital signals from any other source, and the Vaio can drive other monitors (eg the small acer one normally attached to the desktop).

But the combination of the Vaio connected to the 244T simply doesn't work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? I've updated to the latest drivers available from Sony (see dump below) and I'm not sure what else I can do...

I hope someone can help me as I've wasted so much time on this already...

Thanks in advance,

Brett

=============================================

Driver config:

Components

nvCpl.cpl 1.0.8.13 NVIDIA nvCpl Control Panel Applet

nvExpBar.dll 1.0.8.13 NVIDIA nvCpl Explorer Bar

nvCplUI.exe 1.0.8.13 NVIDIA nvCpl Container

nvViTvS.dll 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 84.91

nvMoblS.dll 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 84.91

NVMCTRAY.DLL 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Media Center Library

NVOGLNT.DLL 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICD

nvDispS.dll 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA nvCpl Display Server

NVCPL.DLL 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 84.91

NV4_MINI.SYS 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Miniport Driver, Version 84.91

NV4_DISP.DLL 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 84.91

nvGameS.dll 6.14.10.8491 NVIDIA nvCpl Game Configuration Server

=============================================

I have the same monitor and it works with all the inputs I feed it. Geforce 6800 Go in DVI or VGA, Geforce 7600 in DVI or VGA and Geforce 4 Ti 4600.

I'm not able to get the official Sony specs of this laptop... :) From what I see you are limited to VGA output. My guess is that it's limited in output resolution either by the hardware or software. (read driver)

Try to feed the screen with a resolution of 1280x800. Then move to 1440x900, 1680x1050 and eventually to 1920x1200.

Thanks Fabrice.

I've found the specs for the laptop (see below).

I tried your suggestion, but no luck. I don't think it's a resolution issue - the Nvidia Control Panel seems quite happy to set the resolution as high as the monitor can go (1920 x 1200), and it even knows that it's a Samsung multisync monitor, so there's definitely some connection happening. I just believe that the monitor is having difficulty locking on to the signal for some reason :-(

I see that in the INF mods there is some special flag for a DELL monitor, is there something like that also for the samsung?

Cheers,

brett

================================================

Processor Intel Core Duo Processor T2400

Network 10Base-T/100Base-TX

Cache 2048 KB (on die)

Memory 1024 MB More Info(Upgradeable to 2048 MB)

Hard Disk Drive 100 Gb (S-ATA) (7.5 GB reserved - recovery space)

Video Chipset nVidia GeForce Go 7400

Video Memory 64 MB DDR - Up to 128 MB shared with main memory

Display 13.3" TFT WXGA 1280x800 (X-black)

Sound Chip Sigmatel CXD9872 High Definition Audio Codec

Optical CD-ROM : 24 x Speed

CD-R : 24 x Speed

CD-RW : 10 x Speed

DVD-ROM : 8 x Speed

DVD +R : 4 x Speed

DVD +RW 2.4 x Speed

DVD -R : 4 x Speed

DVD -RW : 2 x Speed

DVD Dual Layer : 2.4 x Speed

Ports on Unit 1 PC Card Slot(s), 4 pins i.Link Port, MemoryStick Pro Slot, Bluetooth,

2 USB Port(s) (high (USB 2.0) / full / low speed )

Ports on Unit Headphones Out, Docking Station Connector, Microphone In, Ethernet Port, VGA Monitor Out,

PC Card Slots 1 PCMCIA type I or 1 PCMCIA type II Cards and Cardbus support

Modem Built-in Modem V.92

Wireless LAN Data transfer 54 Mbps max - Range 10m to 100m

Keyboard 87 Keys More Info Keyboard troubleshooting

Mouse Touchpad

Camera VGA

Battery Life/Profile Up to 04:50 / VAIO Optimized (Brightness Level 5)

Weight 1650g

Dims (WxHxD) 315mm x 21.8 to 32.6mm x 234.3 mm

Operating System Windows XP Professional with SP2

Software Adobe Acrobat Elements, Adobe Acrobat Professional (Trial), Adobe Acrobat Reader,

Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements, Click to DVD, DVGate Plus,

Memory Stick Formatter, Microsoft Office (Trial), Microsoft Works,

Norton Internet Security, Norton Password Manager (Trial), PictureGear Studio,

Roxio DigitalMedia SE 7, SonicStage, Ultimaco PrivateDisk Easy, VAIO Edit Components,

VAIO Media, VAIO Update, WinDVD for VAIO

================================================

Try to boot the laptop with the SM244T attached and the lid closed... (using the external monitor as main monitor) It should at least display the low resolution POST and boot sequence.

Other thing to try if you have a nice DSL connection... download Ubuntu 6.06 CD, burn it and boot on the CD. It uses the simplest nvidia driver (just 2D).

Hi Fabrice,

thanks for the suggestions.

I did reboot with the lid closed, and there was a glimmer of activity on the monitor, but as soon as windows started to boot, then the signal was lost.

I tried the ubuntu disc (looks very interesting, by the way), but I couldn't even see where to try to activate a second monitor. Any pointers would be appreciated. With ubuntu, the monitor at least recognised that something was trying to send it a signal (ie it would lock on to the analog input), but no picture was displayed, just a black screen.

I again confirmed that I can run with two monitors with the laptop. I can plug in my little acer monitor and independently configure it through the Nvidia Control Center - works like a charm...

Any more ideas?

The problem that I can see is that Samsung will say that it's a Vaio problem, and Sony will say it's a Samsung problem. Typical compatibility/configuration issue :)

Hi Fabrice,

I've found what the problem is!!!

It's the VAIO Event Service which for some reason kills the video signal to this monitor... I've disabled the service and it runs just fine now :-)

Would you have any suggestions about how to get Sony to work on a patch?

Thanks,

Brett

I thought that everybody does a full manual clean install as soon as they recieve their laptop. Mine came with a 40Gb HDD that had only 20Gb free because of Windows XP and dumb Dell backup partition.

My first action was to replace the HDD with a semi-fresh one... Clean install puts you in command.