LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell 8600 Power Connection..

CDBURNEI2

For quite sometime I have had a problem with the power supply port on my lappy. When I plug the power cord into it I have to turn it till I see the screen brighten otherwise it will not charge. Not a huge problem but an annoyance. I tried other Dell ps but they also do the same. Anyone else have this issue? Is it something I or Dell could fix? I just don't want it to get to the point of not being able to get my battery to charge cause of a loose connection.

Since you tried another power supply it's not likely that the power cord is broken. It looks like the connector on your motherboard is loose... which means that it's not good for your hardware. A friend of mine fryied the motherboard, the power supply and the battery didn't liked the charging-not charging frequent switching. (it was all replaced under warranty by Toshiba)

I'd advise you to fix the issue either thru Dell support... or do it yourself.

Since you tried another power supply it's not likely that the power cord is broken. It looks like the connector on your motherboard is loose... which means that it's not good for your hardware. A friend of mine fryied the motherboard, the power supply and the battery didn't liked the charging-not charging frequent switching. (it was all replaced under warranty by Toshiba)

I'd advise you to fix the issue either thru Dell support... or do it yourself.

Actually I did some research and found tons on the issue. It the terminals inside the connector on the back of the lappy. They burn out and eventually the power supply makes no contact. Nothing is loose. Now Dell will gladly replace the board for $400-$500, but it is the same board and maker, and from what i heard happens yet again. You cannot buy just the power inlet. It is also an intricate micro soldering job left to skilled pros. I have found replacemnt inlets on ebay but without such skills it is worthless to me. Luckily I have found a good site dedicated to repairing these connectors.

http://www.absoluteraleigh.com/inspiron_repair.html#power

At least I know I won't get hosed down the road by Dell. And to think they also now own Alienware. I am disappointed in Dell ATM.