LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Temperature Monitoring for nVidia GO 7800 GTX on Dell XPS Gen2

czajunia

Hi,

I just upgraded Dell XPS Gen2 to 7800 GTX and was wondering if it was possible to monitor GPU temperature on this laptop using this card.

After installing the new drivers (v84.63 32bit | NV/DELL, 2006-04-25) the nVidia control panel shows the fixed temperature of 110 degrees and doesn't actually gauge temperature at all. I also tried third party software but it is exactly the same as expected.

Is there something wrong with the drivers or is the card I bought faulty or is it just impossible to monitor temperature on XPS laptops (due to some odd BIOS restrictions for example)?

Thank's a lot for all the answers and suggestions.

czajunia

Have you tried I8KFanGUI?

Problem solved. After reinstalling drivers and I8KFanGUI software everything seems to be working fine. I also noticed something odd - when I used different PSU (not the original 130W one) which was less powerful the temperature readings where all wrong. When I switched to battery everything started working as normal again. I don't use the less powerful PSU on regular basis (only occasionally when my battery runs out of juice and I don't have the original one handy) so it is not a problem but was wondering what's the reason for that?

BTW, does anyone know why the I8KFanGUI shows 10 degrees lower temperature than nVidia control panel?

Thank's a lot!

The most powerfull (read power hungry) GPU need their original over 100W PSU to run properly. While my Go 6800 runs perfectly with 90W... the faster brother the Go 6800 Ultra requires the the 130W PSU.

It might be a good time to invest in a second 130W PSU... since you put a lot of pressure on the small PSU and your laptop and your battery... you might end up with one or all frying up. Usually the PSU goes down and take the laptop down with it... Bloody nice firework. :)