LaptopVideo2Go Forums

0X0000007E error caused by Nvidia driver

Vaio Problem

About a week ago my brother went to turn on our computer when he was met by a BSOD with the 0X0000007E error and red bars on the vaio load screen and blue on the XP.

This was on a Sony vaio Vgc V2m, which although is a desktop uses a Nvidia Geforce Fx 5700 go with 128 mb, with windows XP home. So after trying to fix it for a while I decided that now would be the perfect time to wipe the whole system and upgrade to Windows XP pro, as there were lots of other problems as well. This solved it until I came to load the last driver from the set I downloaded from vaio link, which supplied all the preinstalled drivers.

As soon as I installed the Nvidia driver it went to the same Bsod, I then went on to try drivers 71.89 and 83.91 and installed them in safe mode and used the driver cleaner to make sure the previous one was removed everytime.

At the moment I am running on VGA without my native widescreen resolution and I am beginning to run out of ideas

smiley_faq_12.png

You'll see that the optimal driver for you GeForce FX is in the 6x.xx range. In order to be sure it's not hardware related... if you have a nice DSL connection download and burn the ISO of Ubuntu 6.06.

True the 6XXX are my optimal but they do not work as they were the preinstalled drivers downloaded from sony, I seem to have managed to solve the problem and install it using 72.14 this has changed the error message so now I believe the RAM on the video card is faulty causing more faults hence the post. Anyway thanks for your help!

A 0x0000007E error message is caused by:

1.) If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished, the computer may not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows.

2.) If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is complete, the computer BIOS may be incompatible with Windows.

3.) Incompatible video adapter drivers.

4.) Damaged RAM.

5.) A damaged device driver or system service.

6.) If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third-party remote control program.

You are probably right about the RAM being faulty. Bad RAM causes all kinds of wierd problems.