LaptopVideo2Go Forums

The real reason to upgrade to 9x.xx drivers

Fabrice Roux

I seen a lot of people install the various desktop quad SLI driver on their laptop. In my opinion one should only change his driver (especially on a professionally used laptop) only when the new driver fixes an issue (from graphic glitch to crash) or adds a new feature.

Beside new features, the only two reasons to upgrade in average Joe mind must be:

- dreaming to be the king of the driver pissing contest hill.

- wanting the latest shiny new nVidia logo.

I said multiple time here that the only reason that would make me jump to the 9x.xx serie would be the new features around PureVideo post processing.

BeHardware just translated an article they released last week. It deals with the GPU postprocessing when watching videos on both ATO and nVidia GPUs.

ATI and NVIDIA correct the twinkling effect of LCDs in movies

How about Transparrent Anti-Ailasing? It does wonders on games like Half Life.

Read the latest release notes... they cover all the releases from 84.43 to 91.47.

You'll find little interesting non SLI non 7950 issues.

:) So basically, the new 91.xx series drivers only fix SLI issues and introduces improved purevideo support. So by upgrading to the uber new 91.48, I can become the proud owner of a laptop thats unstable and crashes randomly!!! Yeah! According to Hardocp.com, SLI is only supported if the control panel has a application profile, so the latest games might not be supported.... nice.

It's not that dark picture... but in my world... I update GPU drivers only when necessary or when a valuable feature arises... I jumped from Dell 78.xx to the 84.25 modded because of Oblivion optimizations. Then switched to Dell 84.30 as soon as it was released because a lot of VERY usefull features such as PowerMizer didn't worked on my laptop with 84.25.

Fo benchmark lovers 91.33 is worth trying.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I agree. The driver team is constantly fixing bugs and improving performance and stability as reports get in from game developers and users. Of course they might introduce as many when adding features :)

Yeah, Nvidia does add new features and bug fixes in newer drivers; however, they are primarily intended for newer GPUs. My Go 5700 hasn't received any bug fixes or new features in quite a while. Therefore (IMHO), I choose to use a heavily tested and stable driver (67.66) rather than upgrading whenever a new driver is released. I can't understand why people are obsessed with achieving the highest 3Dmark score. One of my friends was bragging about this high 3Dmark score when I reminded him that in his attempt to achieve a higher score, his system randomly locks up and opengl games wouldn't run. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say :) .

You probably wouldn't notice in games, so your strategy is a good one. But there are bugfixes to the OpenGL driver even for older cards, since much of the code is also unified. Since I'm a developer, I do care about those :)