LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking settings are not retained

Guest Steve P.

Guest Steve P.

Hey guys! I have read many of the posts here and tried every tip/trick I found and cannot get the overclock settings to be retained when I set them. All of the other options are except the overclocking.

Dell Inspiron 9300

GE Force GO 6800 PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00C8&SUBSYS_019C1028&REV_A2\4&27EA4097&0&0008

Driver Version 84.25 (Have attempted on 84.30 also, both with modded .inf)

Windows XP Pro

I started with the 84.30 driver and detected optimal settings at 359/729, I set it and settings are not retained

I tried with NVIDIA Display Driver Service enabled and disabled

I installed RivaTuner and tried to do the same thing and the settings will not stay, even with Apply Overclocking at Startup and Use Alternate Startup Daemon checked

Please help. I am a regular WoW player and playing at anything above the minimum settings reduces my frame rates severly.

Since you have a laptop that is still covered by a Dell driver I advise you to use the official 84.30. It seems that some drivers for some reason refuse to keep their overclock settings. Try uninstalling the driver from the control panel... reboot... then reinstall the 84.30.

I started with the 84.30 driver and detected optimal settings at 359/729, I set it and settings are not retained

I tried with NVIDIA Display Driver Service enabled and disabled

I installed RivaTuner and tried to do the same thing and the settings will not stay, even with Apply Overclocking at Startup and Use Alternate Startup Daemon checked

You wasted your time - that's a known issue on 84.30. 84.43 does also the same for me.

Overclockable: 83.90 - very good, if 84.x fixes not needed.

84.37 84.56. Need more?

*cough* I can overlock my system with the 84.30... but I prefer the overclocking on demand with RivaTuner profiles.

*cough* I can overlock my system with the 84.30... but I prefer the overclocking on demand with RivaTuner profiles.

Well, I was too definitive, the results do differ, but just from those versions round 84 many were having OC problems; with recent 9x "crap" so far OC problems have been mostly absent.