LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Precision M65 Quadro FX 350m 512mb

winaje

Hi all.

I'm buying a Dell Precision M65 with the 512 mb Nvidia FX 350m.

I have been told that this is a workstation style GPU, great for CAD etc, but not all that good for gaming...

Does anyone have any experience with this GPU? Can the gaming performance be improved with other drivers? Someone mentioned "Omega Drivers" to me...?

Finally, do you think that I have any chance of playing Oblivion with this GPU?

2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo

1 GB Ram

TIA, Will

This Quadro uses the same core as GeForce 7300 and 7400... so the gaming performance will be really close to these. The main bottleneck will be RAM... 1Gb is what is recommended for XP... but your GPU will use a large chunk of the system RAM.

This Quadro uses the same core as GeForce 7300 and 7400... so the gaming performance will be really close to these. The main bottleneck will be RAM... 1Gb is what is recommended for XP... but your GPU will use a large chunk of the system RAM.

Ok, thanks. So by the sound of it an extra 1 gig of Ram should be on the shopping list...

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change the GPU later on to a 1500 or 2500?

Thanks

A friend of mine has the same laptop as yours (only Core Duo, 2GB Ram...) and he says he can play Oblivion @ 1280*800 without any problems, so I think it isn't that terible... :)

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change the GPU later on to a 1500 or 2500?

Thanks

Only if the M65 is the same internally as the M90

Which they probably arn't.

Don't expect mind boggeling performance, but it should do OK in most things.

Get as much RAM as you can afford 2GB is really a must especially if Vista comes along.

Not havint the fastest CPU is not as bad as having too little RAM often the biggest bottle neck.

Not havint the fastest CPU is not as bad as having too little RAM often the biggest bottle neck.

Especially with games on large widescreens... the bottleneck is most of the time the GPU.

Especially with games on large widescreens... the bottleneck is most of the time the GPU.

Thanks, do you reckon the 2 gig Core 2 Duo will be ok...?

I'll find out in a week or 2 any, but just curious...

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine has the same laptop as yours (only Core Duo, 2GB Ram...) and he says he can play Oblivion @ 1280*800 without any problems, so I think it isn't that terible... :)

I have the Dell Precision M65 Core Duo with 2GB Ram and it will not run Oblivion at all. How did you friend get it to work. Mine crashes all the time.

Its def. not a hardware problem since Oblivion runs fine on my laptop.

I have the Dell Precision M65 Core Duo with 2GB Ram and it will not run Oblivion at all. How did you friend get it to work. Mine crashes all the time.

I have got the machine now, and it runs in 720x480 widescreen really smoothly. Have you updated your drivers? The LV2Go recommended one is v84.69 from the Dell.

What GPU do you have, and at what resolution?

Will

Edited by ®®®

He runs Oblivion at 1280x800 quite good, I didn't see him playing it... I think he set everything on low or something... I will aks him today :)

I didn't play Oblivion (it doesn't intereset me... :P ) but I think it would run on my GeForce Go7600 :)

Its def. not a hardware problem since Oblivion runs fine on my laptop.

Yeah, I updated my driver like you said and oblivion still crashes. I thinking it is just the Quadro FX 350M video card that is in the Precision M65. Here are some specs on my laptop, tell me what you think.

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Precision M65

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02

Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU T2600 @ 2.16GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 479MB used, 3458MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA Quadro FX 350M

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: Quadro FX 350M

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 512.0 MB

Current Mode: 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Oblivion crashing can come from a bad saved game, bad settings (don't edit them if you have no clue of what you are doing) and buggy MODs.

I had to take down a couple of MODs that would crash Oblivion randomnly.

I am the friend of Jeroen. And I have a Dell Precision M65 with 2 GB Ram and Quadro MX 350 of 256 MB. With my laptop can I game Oblivion with 1280*800. But it isn't fast, but I have not problems with the gamespeed.

Try using 84.25, AKA Oblivion Driver.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a M65 with a 2.16 Core 2duo, 2gb ram, and quadro FX 350M. I cannot run ghost recon properly. I have to drop down to 800x600. please help me out.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Babut hope you had some luck with getting your games working, 800x600 seems very low did you try running windowed mode? The graphics are not the most powerful and best i could compare to on the desktop is a Radeon 9800, however the core duo cpu power can really help boost fps in some games.

I thought i would update this thread with a little info about the drivers i tested to get HL2/CS:Source working.

Dell 84.69 - worked fine but had to replace because of annoying standby issues

Nvidia 91.36 - bsod when loading drivers so avoided

LV2G 84.98 - bsod on boot had to use safe mode to rescue system

LV2G 97.02 - loaded fine but HL2 crashed immediately on startup

LV2G 93.71 - works fine so far with HL2 and CS:Source

i cant remember what resolution works best for CS:S but at 1920x1600 with full detail and HDR it looks lush, just dont expect to actually play the game :)

Did you used the official 84.69 driver from Dell or the one with modded INF file? The official driver supports your GPU and should behave as advertized.

yes i was using the official dell drivers but they have an issue where the screen flickers on/off when coming out of standby

also last night i was playing CS:Source with medium detail setting at 1400x1050 with an average of 40-60fps

screen flickers on/off when coming out of standby
This is by design and no bug as the drivers tests for attached devices.