LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Flash go7900 BIOS with "Nbiteditor"

mattias

im thinking about OC my go7900gs, but im a little bit nervous to flash VBIOS, i found this about a different way to OC go7900gs:

"People often overvolt their cards becuse someo

ne told them so, well here is some evidence on why it is not necesary for some of us, you can get the same performance and stability at the original 1V. Just use nbiteditor to set the MAXIMUM VID (7) to 1V

Only with your stock bios that came directly form dell, (i forgot to back up mine) or with a custm bios with the highest VID (7) at 1V, can you run your card at 1V, becuse the roms on the popular ISO`s have their VID (7) at 1.24, and becuse it is built to use the highest VID avaible, your card will allways run at 1.24 even if you think that its running at 1V. Try usng riva tuners monitor utility to see the current VID of your card and its info tool to see what is its corresponding voltage. Not all cards are the same, but mine runs at 600/1200 at 1V with the same performance and quality as with 1.24v, and i am pretty sure that everyone elses too, just be sure to have higher GPU clocks when ocing the memory over 1000Mhz. (use 525/1050 instead of 490/1150 550/1100 instead of 790/1150 and so on, becuse this configuration are more stable)

The first picture shows a succesfull no artifacted 3rdmark 05 test at 1V the second is at 1.24V

The third picture is mi highest 3dmark 05 score (the voltage had nothing to with it) The fourth picture shows my best 3d mark 06 score at 1V with merom running at 2GHz 0.16 lower than normal, i will soon post my top scores becuase i now have merom succesfully running at 2.16Ghz and the overclocked GS with a 90w AC adapter with the help of MRclock utlity.

i Will do more research on the power cunsomtion side efects, but as far as i can messure, what determinates your power consumption is not the voltage, but the clocks at wich your card is set to. keep this in mind and start using your own rooms."

and this:

"Just open Nbiteditor to edit a bios rom, go to voltage and you will that there are different voltages to set, 2 in fact, 1V and 1.24V go to the upper menu under tools and select the voltage table editor. there you set the highest VID (7) to 1V, and not to 1.24V that is the default value on the boot iso(1V is the default stock value. The video card will use the highest VID avaible allways, you can use rivatunner`s monitor utility under "Low level Settings" to check the current VID. That is why it doesnt matter if you use a rom from the iso that has not the v prefix, because all off those rooms will use the VID7 that is set to 1.24V. When someone made that iso, he/she srewed up. You normally will get more stability by increasing the voltage at higher clocks, but just pick a safe clock, lets say 575/1150 (that is my safest clock where i am happy.) then set the voltage VID(7) to 1V and the lower ones to lower values if you want, it wont matter. Now boot, flash the rom and scan for artifacts with atitool, if you get artifacts (use "older scaning settings" under "artifacts",because it has more compatability.) before 15-30 min raise the voltage + 0.02 from 1V to 1.02V and so on until you see no artifacts in games or 3d mark or even atitool. Atitool will detect even insignificant artifacts that wont appear in games or 3dmark, so be sure to run some intensive game an 3dmark too, to see if you get artifacts. Dont raise th voltage just becuase atitool sees artifacts, afterall is just a stress test that wont be like gaming. I have mine at 1V becuase i get no artifacts in games or 3dmark and i can scan for artifacts for atitool over 45 minutes with no artifacts, and when they appear its only 1 dot every 30 min"

what does the shortening "VID" stand for ?

someone who have heard about this "nbiteditor", wondering how safe it is.

the quotations is from this pages;

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...385&page=22

and

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...385&page=23

Edited by mattias

I'm wondering if one day you'll use a simple solution to a simple problem. :)

I guess nbiteditor is a typo... you are looking for nibitor.

Yes it is safe to modify the VBIOS and flash it over and over. That is the main reason people around here flash their VBIOS at least once a week. In fact, I know that people around here have 3 different VBIOS one for cold winter days with huge overclocking, one for autumn and spring with mild overclocking and one for hot summer days with only a small overclocking to maintain stability.

ps: when you'll be done frying your PC... please do us a favor and get an ATI based laptop. :)

how do i make a "backup" for my orginal VBIOS, is it just to use NERO and burn it like img or iso file ?

when you use NERO , you have to browse the files you want to burn, (like you kvow), ive tried to browse to my VBIOS, but i cant find it, do you know where.

Edited by mattias

Dude I'm torn between pushing you over the edge into frying your GPU and slap you until you start using your freaking brain.

I usually say "if you don't know what you're about to do... don't do it." Let me find an example that you might have a chance to understand.

When you get a new car and you want to drive faster what do you do.... do you take your soldering iron to chip the car and unleash 20% more horse power? No the first step is to learn how to handle it!!! So you would want to ask Sebastien Loeb (3rd time world rallye champion) to give you pointers to handle your car more efficiently.

You have ABSOLUTELY no clue of what you are doing... so please leave the VBIOS flashing to the "big boys" that at least know how to make a bootable CD.

you know what ! you are the most boring person ill ever seen, and i really mean it. im not a complete idiot, i just want to be carefully with my new laptop. so stop comment my F(&^*** questions !

I'm just trying to prevent you from stupidly frying your currently perfectly working GPU. On the 10 steps you need to run to successfully flash your VBIOS... the most common one (burning a bootable ISO) is far from being mastered.

Draw a table on paper... put every advantages and inconvenience of every solutions opened to you.

- doing nothing

- overclocking with the coolbits

- overclocking with VBIOS tweaking

Would you try brain surgery using a tutorial called "Brain surgery for morons" snagged on the internet given that never held a scalpel? (if I'm unlucky you are a neurosurgeon)

You know, I have been following this community of DIYers helping each other to overcome the massive neglect by the laptop manufacturers for 4 or 5 years now (including for the last 3 years on this forum). It was really a suprise when I first came across the teraphy and pieter websites, to find people (who definitely knew more than I did!) who were trying to fix a problem - first for themselves but also to share with others who had less technical knowledge or skill but had the same basic problem. In a weird way, it was almost inspiring in a more general sense to see this community of volunteers grow to overcome being screwed by the manufacturers.

I frankly don't know anything about how all this stuff works. I really appreciate that others who do know were and are generous and patient enough to share their work with others. Noone ever took this kind of condescending and insulting tone with me when I asked my "dumb" questions. So I am a bit surprised to find this kind of stuff creeping into the forums:

Dude I'm torn between pushing you over the edge into frying your GPU and slap you until you start using your freaking brain.

I usually say "if you don't know what you're about to do... don't do it." Let me find an example that you might have a chance to understand.

When you get a new car and you want to drive faster what do you do.... do you take your soldering iron to chip the car and unleash 20% more horse power? No the first step is to learn how to handle it!!! So you would want to ask Sebastien Loeb (3rd time world rallye champion) to give you pointers to handle your car more efficiently.

You have ABSOLUTELY no clue of what you are doing... so please leave the VBIOS flashing to the "big boys" that at least know how to make a bootable CD.

Whether you want to help this guy not fry his card or not, what possible reason is there to take such a condescending and arrogant tone? This is not a rhetorical question - I am really curious. Why did you write this reply like this?!?!?!?

And yes, I know this kind of email risks being the "when I was a young man we walked 20 km through ice and snow to get to school, and carried 20 kilos of coal back to the house at the end of the day to save our smaller siblings' toes from frostbite" old man complaint. But really, it's not the first time someone "newer" to the forum has taken this kind of condescending tone with someone who is even more "new", and it seems totally unnecessary to me. Eventually it will poison the atmosphere, people get bored or irritated and stop participating, and then we are all left to try to figure things out on our own, with most of us non-technical people wasting hours trying to reinvent what others have already done. That would be really disappointing.

thanks, i totally agree ! some people dont like when you ask "easy" questions, maybe they a boring ugly girlfriend who keeps naging at them all time. i dont know.

Edited by mattias

*Sigh* Read this http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/2069/37/

And marftarf, Considering how much Fabice has done, He has a right to act like that to someone who repedately asks stupid questions.

""repedately asks stupid questions"". hey, wait a f###ng minute, have i ask stupid questions all time here ? Jackass ! im so glad that im not like you guys, who complains about everything. this forum sucks bigtime. bye bye

Edited by mattias

Bye. BTW, If you google'd NiBiTor tutorial, you would have gotten the same link I posted.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

Mattias,

Fabrice may have put it a bit blunt, but he's right. If you're not 100% sure off what you're doing, then don't. You have a 7900GS in your system, which will chew up everything you toss at at. If, say, 3 years down the line you find it lacking or figure it has served and you're willing to take some chances, OC'ing migth be a good idea. But the bottom line is that if you're flashing and overclocking, there's always the chance you're gonna destroy your card. And OC'ing just for the sake of it doesn't exactly make much sense.

Apart from that, there's a blatant error in one of your sources. Increasing voltage does increase your power usage and thermal footprint. Some dude called 'Ohm' told me so.

Ice-tea

• 2 weeks later...

sorry LEAD FACTOR and FABRICE , but respect match the member seniority !

your both as new as mattias :P

marftarf been here since 2003 ! please , watch the member number...sometime

yes , we also need young members with high skills and programming ability

usually , condescending and insulting tone mean the guys is sure of himself (i hope ! )

So mattias , this is the price to pay ...lets say that your the young boy wich

dangle is new toys to other friends that get little jealous :)

usually , nice skilled people dont have time to loose that much on internet ! :)

numbers tells everything

me and MARFTARF (MEMBERS #), have little skils, but more real life (post # )

THANKS to lead factor , your link is very interesting (i'm not interest to OC now...

but i have learn somethings ! )

Edited by ggtronic

sorry LEAD FACTOR and FABRICE , but respect match the member seniority !

your both as new as mattias :)

The problem with mattias has nothing to do with:

- member seniority

- intelligence

- education

It's a problem of common sense... and a big one. He asks the same question on multiple forums posts, by personal message. He asks questions of things that flight light years over his head and end up finding the most complicated solutions to the simplest problems.

If you had a project of DIY nuclear plant would you come online to ask questions about square one: finding the right place to build it. Sould I place it far in the desert so when it blows up I'll be safe but with the lack of water to cool it off it'll blow up within seconds.... or near a large river close to my place, so little energy will be lost in transport.

Taking a sledgehammer to put a pin on the wall works for sure... but it requires a lot of mastery to prevent huge side effects like taking the wall down, crushing a couple of phalangies...

here we go again ! like a said somewhere before, i just wanted to be extra carefully, because that was my first time i did some OC. i cant really see the problem to send "easy" PM`s. jesus christ, i just want to understand things i never done before. anyway, thanks lead f. and fabice r. for your help, i learned some good things, (before you guys flipped out.) he he he he