LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Force Pixel Shader Settings (for Battlefield)

Muhaha

Is it possible to force shader settings for specific applications? Im using Riva Tuner to force shader 1.4 but it affects every application. Does the nvidia control panel have such an option in the same way that you can force vSync on certain games? I'm using 84.43 at the moment and have a 6600.

Edited by ®®®

Usually certain games DO have options to force DX8 shaders.

What games are you refering to?

There is no option I can think of to force shaders in the nvidia control panel.

If there was you could do it from nHancer. http://www.nhancer.com/

I would have thought on a GF 6600 it would run shader model 3 just fine. (unless your running FEAR?)

Some games such as Half Life 2 based games allows to switch the rendering mode by using a command line. The main gain is higher FPS at the cost of eye candy...

There is one tweak program that allows to fake the capabilities of your GPU. But it's way too early in the morning for my brain to remember. :)

http://www.tommti-systems.com/main-Dateien/files.html

That is the tool, even though it is even earlier in the morning here.

Also every game that comes to my mind has such command line options, or options from withen the game. (on applicable games that use high level shaders)

Thanks for the links. I tried nHancer but how do you force SM 1.4? There is a setting "Reported OpenGL Version" which I set to 1.4 but it doesnt seem to have any effect. There is also the option to pick 1.5 which doesnt seem right. I also gave 3D Analyze a go but it will not work with Battlefield 2. The exe does not even execute. I tried it on Dawn of War just to be sure I wasnt setting it up wrong but it works fine for that game. I dont believe there is such a console command for this game. Any suggestions?

You shouldn't bother with that program and BF2, in fact BF2 will refuse to run on shader 1.3 or 1.4 I think anyway.

List all your games that you want this tweak for, and we can get back to you.

You could also search google for shader 1.1-1.4 tweaks for these games, many can be activated using a simple command switch in the game's shortcut.

I got battlefield to work with 1.4 with RivaTuner. This is really the only game I want to use 1.4 on. The problem with RivaTuner is that it will apply 1.4 to all games which means Company of Heros and Oblivion will not run. I dont think there is such a command switch for battlefield. Thanks though, I'll keep looking.