LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need Help - I8200 Video Problems

HockeyPhool

I recently replaced the fans in my I8200 (for the second time in 18 months, FWIW). After replacing the fans and booting the system, I am seeing terrible video problems:

- Lines of text (while booting Safe Mode) have a gap between the top two pixels and the lower pixels

- Display flickers badly

- Safe Mode login screen displays flickering vertical red lines

After entering CMOS configuration the keyboard no longer responds. If I allow the system to boot, I cannot make out the login dialog nor can I seem to login to Windows (XP Pro). I see flickering vertical green bars, mostly.

I have reseated the video card and the display connector without success. I have also followed a Dell Support FAQ that had me isolate the LCD display to confirm that the problem occurs on both the LCD and an external monitor (it does).

At this point I strongly suspect that the video card is failing but I'd like to eliminate other possibilities. I cannot boot the diagnostics, because the system will not respond in CMOS configuration and it won't boot from the CD-ROM by default.

If I do have to replace the video card (GeForce 440 Go, 32MB), I am considering a Quadro 700 XL instead. I do not use 3-D modeling applications, so the Open GL compatibility isn't a key feature for me. However, I do play 3-D games and would like the best performance I can get with my system. I'd appreciate comments on the value of upgrading to the Quadro 700 versus a GeForce 440 64MB card.

Thanks for any troubleshooting assistance you can provide!

Scott

At this point I strongly suspect that the video card is failing but I'd like to eliminate other possibilities. I cannot boot the diagnostics, because the system will not respond in CMOS configuration and it won't boot from the CD-ROM by default.

Have you tried repeatedly tapping F12 when the Dell splash screen shows at boot time? You should get a short boot options menu, which will allow you to boot off CD-ROM and run the diags.

It does sound as though the video card is going bad, however. If it comes to a replacement, I'd recommend the Quaddro, if you can get hold of one.

Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten about forcing boot options - off to try that now.

Scott

That was the trick - VGA/VESA diags fail the video memory test.

Off to find a new video card...

Thanks for the help!

Scott