LaptopVideo2Go Forums

no overlay for 7900 go GS?

crazeman

i recently brought a gamebridge adapter (its a tv tuner and can take inputs from a gaming console so you can use the lappie/computer as a monitor) and i tried using dscaler to make the image quality better. for some reason, dscaler can never open up and keeps giving me some overlay error, stating that my video card doesn't support overlays. note that my laptop is only a month old, and its outfitted with a nvidia 7900 go GS video card so i'm pretty sure overlay should be supported by it.

someone on another forum recommended me to try the drivers found on this site. i tried the most recent ones but no dice. i searched the forums and found the sticky post about overlays but it still doesnt work even though i installed the old nvidia drivers listed on the thread. i tried disabling and enabling VMR but still no luck.

any reasons/solution for this? i have a inspirion e1705 laptop from dell. any help or suggestions would be appreciated :)

You should have placed a link to the product webpage. Ask Adaptec for support there is no reason it doesn't work on your current hardware. But given the lack of new driver it seems you are going to stay in the dirt. :)

When buying a tuner go for great brands such as Terratec and alike. I have a digital / analog tuner from them that works perfectly out of the box. Plus their capture app is not a ressource hog.

But the Adaptec product has one advantage over "classic tuners": the 5-line adaptive comb filter.

Dumb question: have you tried the latest official Dell drivers?

You should have placed a link to the product webpage. Ask Adaptec for support there is no reason it doesn't work on your current hardware. But given the lack of new driver it seems you are going to stay in the dirt. :)

When buying a tuner go for great brands such as Terratec and alike. I have a digital / analog tuner from them that works perfectly out of the box. Plus their capture app is not a ressource hog.

But the Adaptec product has one advantage over "classic tuners": the 5-line adaptive comb filter.

i've tried both the latest drivers from the nvidia and dell site but they didnt work.

well my options were pretty limited. the gamebridge was only like $20-30. my laptop has a express slot, and i think theres only one tv tuner made for the express slot atm (and its going for like $200). i heard USB tv tuner usually have delay when you try to plug in a video console so thats out of the question as well. the gamebridge is usb as well, but for some reason it doesnt lag.

the default software works fine, but i just want to mess around with it and prehaps get better video quality with dscaler

There is absolutely no reason for manufacturers to make compact PCI-Express tuners for laptops. USB2 works perfectly.

For the delay I think your laptop LCD screen is more likely to generate as much/more delay than the tuner itself.

An increasing lag list would be:

- console on CRT TV.

- console on Plasma/LCD TV.

- console on PC thru tuner on CRT screen.

- console on PC thru tuner on fast LCD screen.

- console on PC thru tuner on slow LCD screen.

A nice article on lag generated by slow LCD screens.

shurg i've been itching to buy a tv tuner for years now, and according to the information i found online, USB tv tuners usually lag when it comes to console games.

i'm not sure what you mean when you are talking about a "compact PCI-Express" card but i was talking about the ExpressCard slot. my laptop is pretty new, so it came with the express card slot in place of the PCMCIA slot since express card is supposedly going to replace PCMCIA someday. i guess thats a good thing in terms of the future, but it sucks because theres literally nothing being made for the express card slot.

and when i talk about delays, i'm talking about 3-5 second delays. i've tried to run a ps2 to my PC via a cheap $25 tv tuner before and it was completely unplayable.

I thought you were talking about pluging your tuner in the mini-PCI replacing the WiFi card... :)

A PCMCIA tuner will cost an arm... and an ExpressCard tuner will cost an eye and a kidney.

I'll have to check the lag on my Terratec USB2 tuner.

• 4 months later...

Just try to modify the memory frequency of your graphic adapter (search coolbits on google).

Overlay will automagically becomes available.

Spread the word!