LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v96.85 VISTA 32bit RC2 and higher | NV

®®®

I am not getting any disk thrashing. I have a neverwinter nights running in a window and MCE running disk usage is about what I would expect.

Was this an update or a fresh install of 5744?

Fresh install. The bad thing with Vista is all the background stuff it "might" be doing, like defender checks, OneCare TuneUp, defrag on fly, etc etc.

I am going to reinstall and see if the thrashing goes away after a while

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Athildja-x64

• mobilenvidia

• MobileAlien

• jtzako

Hi can anyone tell me how to install a usable driver for my Alienware M7700 with a Go7900GTX 256Mb (upgraded from Go7800GTX)? I have no problems with XP SP2 (on drive 1) but have now got Vista RC2 on dual Boot (drive 2) which is totally unrecognised by RC2. Thanks.....

Can't get this driver to work (previous Vista and modded INF files have worked well). I wonder if they are locking the later drivers down to specific hardware.

I get a "Code 43 error", Driver has been disabled.

Anyone seen this, know how to fix this? Running RC2 build of Vista Home Premium.

Are you running the installer as an administrator?

right click the setup.exe and select "run as administrator"

:) Just saw your reply re Installing as an Administrator and its solved my prob re Go7900GTX on Vista RC2 - thanks for hint

No problem, Glad I could help.

I have found a host of things that wont work right unless you run them as Administrator.

so for most installs I do it by habit.

Just a thought.... should we start a lil benchmarking thread for the "windows experience index"? I noticed after installing 96.85 my "gaming graphics" went from a 3.0-3.1. Just a thought!! :)

TV out isn't working...

Anyone know what happened to nView? The new control panel is space (i.e. useless).

BUG: There's a setting in the control panel for "Force television detection on startup" but that gets cleared when the control panel is closed. Thus, no detect is done on reboot.

I've got a Sager NP9880. Anyone got one of these and used the TV for 2nd display?

The force TV detection issue has always been there. I had the same thing happen when I was using XP MCE

Yes the new Control Pannel is useless.

I am not sure when NV will add the proper functionaility back in. They have only replied "we are not there yet"

I imgine we will see the control pannel come back but not any time soon.

Look how long it took them to get SLI in XP x64.

wierd. With this driver, Aero runs really smooth on my notebook. But in games (e.g. WoW, Paraworld) i get flickering all the time. Switched back to 96.33.

My performance index is 3.2, slowest part is 3d performance. Everything else scores around 4.5-5.0.

My TV works fine (connected via DVI).

Edited by oxygenx

I get flickering at startup, about when it would be applying my custom background.

In games I am ok.

3d graphics for my Go 6800 runs at 4.6, my lowest is my CPU (1.7GHz OC'd to 2.27) at 4.0.

I am also experiencing this flickering problem on my 7600GO with the 96.85 drivers, in what seems to be all DirectX-based games and 3D-applications. Games like Counter-Strike (1.6) run perfectly in OpenGL mode, but refuse to run at all in Direct3D. 3DMark, CS:Source and others display the flickering problem.

The 96.33 drivers didn't come with this problem, but they had other drawbacks.

On the other hand, Aero works perfectly now, and everything seems very responcive and quick in Vista, so if they just manage to make the graphic drivers work in games too...

Edit: Guild Wars, which displays flickering when in fullscreen-mode, seems to work fine with 96.85 drivers in windowed-mode, while other games such as SC:Source still display flickering even when in a window.

Edited by Kahl

I am still getting insane amounts of flickering in my games. (CSS HL2) the source engine... I have a M1710 2gb ram and a 7900 gtx.. any one else get the flickering fixed by this?

I'm still getting the same thing with CS:S and other games. The flickering makes it unplayable. I have a GeForce GO 7900 GS.

i am also experiencing the same flicking problem with my Geforce go 7300

I just upgraded to rc2 from rc1. Rc1 I was runnning the .33 drivers and the aero interface with no issues. After upgrade to rc2, no driver will work to enable aero. I redo the experience index everytime I try something different. I also make sure and check the place where you must go to change from basic to aero. .33, .77, and .85 will not enable aero, even though the experience is showing something above a 2 for aero graphics rating for all drivers. Currently running .85 with a aero graphics rating of 2.2. Previously 4.3 for rc1. I'm not sure what to make of all of it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edit: I just wiped the drive and installed rc2 from scratch. Experience index now has aero performance up to 4.3 like rc1 was but sitll no aero availalable to turn on. Had windows d/l and install old 78.10 drivers from windows update then after a reboot I installed these 96.85 with the modded inf. Still clueless as to why aero won't work.

Edited by MobileAlien

I got these drivers installed on my Laptop with 7900gs GO video and on my desktop with a 6800gt. One odd thing I cant figure out is why neither system shows me the temperature section or overclock section in the control panel.

Its supposed to be a 2nd category inside the "3d settings" yet its not there on either system. Both systems that area shows up in the XP driver however. (and both have onboard temp sensor)

Anyone figured out how to get this new control panel to show that stuff when it doesnt do so?

jzako, these drivers are no complete yet. If you read the release notes, you can see that such things as sli don't even work yet(that's the read I got at least, I don't have sli). I believe this is the first vista version to include the control panel, and it doesn't support all features yet. On the same subject, Nvidia has to be working their tail off right now. I'm anxious to see what they do to these drivers. I mentioned before that this driver won't allow me to do aero as before, but I know it supports more things. Wonder how long to the next release?

Edited by MobileAlien

For those of you who don't manage to enable Aero: This might not be a driver problem, but a validation problem. I discovered when I installed RC2 from scratch, that before Aero would work, regardless of which drivers or performance index you have, you have to activate/validate Vista with your product key.

Hopes this helps with the Aero problem.

Haven't commented in a long time......i noticed that these drivers say RC2 and up....I'm running (well that's what the bottom right hand corner of my screen tells me) that i'm running RC1 5600......anyways, i must say, these are the best drivers so far......no glitches, no stutters, nothing of that sort.....and the texture problem that i used to have in BF2 and BF2142 where the grass would show up as a flat rectangle, is now solved....looks just like it did on XP SP2..... :P :rofl: :thumbsup: :)

Edit: By the way, i did the Windows Experience thingy.....and noticed that it said my system is capable of 64bit....is that just a glitch with vista or is that actually true, cause those guys at alienware sure did not tell me that at all :) :P

Edited by Area51m-7700

@Area51m-7700 The newer M51s use the P4 Desktop CPU that has EM64T built in to it,

short answer; yes your system is capable of running the 64 bit version of Vista.

@ MobileAlien the 96.33 drivers had a control pannel, it was as limited as this one though.

I think we will not see the more advanced features from nVidia for a while. it took them a long time to get SLI for XP x64 so I imagine it will take just as long to get it in to Vista (both x86 and x64)

Ath

I got these drivers installed on my Laptop with 7900gs GO video and on my desktop with a 6800gt. One odd thing I cant figure out is why neither system shows me the temperature section or overclock section in the control panel.

Its supposed to be a 2nd category inside the "3d settings" yet its not there on either system. Both systems that area shows up in the XP driver however. (and both have onboard temp sensor)

Anyone figured out how to get this new control panel to show that stuff when it doesnt do so?

My system is the same, I'll try adding a few tweaks as soon as my Merom tests are done.

this driver works better than ever :)

no stutter anymore, "VMR9 Renderless" and "lock backbuffer" in MPC finally behaves like in XP, no glitches in some games too.

although we must wait for "feature compeletion" in these vista drivers :)

BTW, activation is not required for AERO. AERO is turned on by default when I finished a clean installation.

Edited by qyqgpower

Anyone figured out the cause of the "flashing" in games? I didnt notice any issues in EQ2 but in Starwars Galaxies and WoW it was horrible and unplayable as the world flashed and flickered etc. I had to revert back to the MS driver that came with Rc2

Yes I did the activation. Sure does run smooth without aero though :) though I like see through windows better :)

Anyone figured out the cause of the "flashing" in games? I didnt notice any issues in EQ2 but in Starwars Galaxies and WoW it was horrible and unplayable as the world flashed and flickered etc. I had to revert back to the MS driver that came with Rc2

I am having this problem as well... I think some one said it was a problem with OpenGL... Well I too am waiting for a fix for now I am using 96.37 drivers games are playable but not at high quality. (like I could with XP)

This seems to be a DX9.0c problem as the only 3DMark with this problem is 3DMark 06 wich is DX9.0c

I wonder if the DX10 sw still needs tweaking to fix this problem.

Also Vista a way slower than XP in anything 3D, doing some tests on this.