LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v96.85 VISTA 32bit RC2 and higher | NV

®®®

@Area51m-7700 The newer M51s use the P4 Desktop CPU that has EM64T built in to it,

short answer; yes your system is capable of running the 64 bit version of Vista.

@ MobileAlien the 96.33 drivers had a control pannel, it was as limited as this one though.

I think we will not see the more advanced features from nVidia for a while. it took them a long time to get SLI for XP x64 so I imagine it will take just as long to get it in to Vista (both x86 and x64)

Ath

Thanks for providing an answer.....

now i ask myself.....why am i still limiting myself to 32bit performance when i can use 64bit.....oh well.....

Update: I just encountered a glitch with these drivers. Whenever my screensaver activates and move the mouse to come out of it....an error message comes up saying that nv_disp has an error, then i get the blue screen. System lock up. I reboot the computer and it comes on in safe mode. Try to troubleshoot it and uninstall the drivers, they uninstall and go back to standard drivers that comes with vista for my gpu, and aero is disabled again.

Any ideas about this???Oh and note that the drivers installed without any problems at first....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Athildja-x64

• mobilenvidia

• MobileAlien

• jtzako

Actually my games all perform better for the most part in Vista than they do in XP. I do, however, tweak some things. I make sure the exe files for all my games disable Desktop Publishng and Desktop Themes before they load. This reduces the memory footprint of Vista by quite a bit and seems to help for me.

My only issue is that the only driver that actually works for me is the one that came built into RC2. Any downloaded driver from this site either doesnt enable External Monitor support or Flashes/glitches like crazy in some Games.

Unfortunately the MS driver is not optimized and you cant control the performance settings at all.

If you don't compare apples to apples... Naked Vista will be gazillion times faster than a XP box with Norton Internet Security.

Microsoft admited that gaming with Vista should be 15-20% slower than with XP.

If you don't compare apples to apples... Naked Vista will be gazillion times faster than a XP box with Norton Internet Security.

Microsoft admited that gaming with Vista should be 15-20% slower than with XP.

In my case my xp and vista are both "bare bones" and Vista runs my games more smoothly than xp.

The actuall FPS is higher in xp by a small bit, but in Vista the variation in FPS is much less. (times when FPS drops in the games doesnt have as large an impact)

My only beef with Vista is the MS driver is the only one that works right for me and its not customizable at all and is definitely not optimized for performance. All the other drivers on this site cause weird flashing etc in games so I cant use them.

My only beef with Vista is the MS driver is the only one that works right for me and its not customizable at all and is definitely not optimized for performance. All the other drivers on this site cause weird flashing etc in games so I cant use them.

The "Microsoft driver" should be refered as nVidia vanilla driver... it gives you the base support in DirectX. Since you have a recent Dell, you'll be sure to get a nice OEM driver covering all your need in Vista. :)

On that oem driver note above, I contacted alienware and they said once they release vista they will provide graphics drivers. This was in reference to my 1 year old system so I guess for all 'vista capable' cards they will be provided.

I'm wondering if my RC2 3D gaming performance is remarkably bad, or if its not much worse than everyone else's. I'm getting a measly 700 3D Marks in 3D Mark 2006, with my fps in the video tests fluctuating between 1 and 3.

This seems pretty poor for a GeForce Go 7400 w/256MB Ram. Is that the type of performance everyone else is seeing with RC2 and the 96.85 drivers? I've run several other versions, but most of those put me in the 500 range.

Thanks for providing an answer.....

now i ask myself.....why am i still limiting myself to 32bit performance when i can use 64bit.....oh well.....

Update: I just encountered a glitch with these drivers. Whenever my screensaver activates and move the mouse to come out of it....an error message comes up saying that nv_disp has an error, then i get the blue screen. System lock up. I reboot the computer and it comes on in safe mode. Try to troubleshoot it and uninstall the drivers, they uninstall and go back to standard drivers that comes with vista for my gpu, and aero is disabled again.

Any ideas about this???Oh and note that the drivers installed without any problems at first....

Which screen saver? does it use OpenGL for rendering or do you know?

This is my first post on these forums, but I was wondering why Vista RC2 was not updating from 96.77 to 96.85. Vista thinks I already have the best drivers installed and wont update. Does anyone know a way around this or have a solution to my problem?

Off the top of my head I don't remember the exact phrasing, but I'm assuming you've already run the setup installer, in which case you should have a folder like this: c:\Nvidia\WinVista\96.85 and you've dropped the modded INF in there (or haven't if you don't need the modded inf).

Once you've done that, pop open device manager and click the driver tab, and then update driver (you probably already know that part).

You'll get a prompt that will essentially ask if you want windows to choose the driver, or if you will chose it from a list (again, paraphrasing the options here since I'm not at a vista machine). Choose the option where you pick the driver. The next page will have 2 options. Provide a path for windows to search in, or you will pick the driver.

Choose the option where you will pick the driver. The next page will list a few drivers, but also have a button for have disk. Click that and then navigate to the c:\Nvidia\WinVista\96.85 folder. Thre should be an nv_disp file in there. Double click it and the list of drivers will now contain an updated list with the 96.85 drivers.

I'm wondering if my RC2 3D gaming performance is remarkably bad, or if its not much worse than everyone else's. I'm getting a measly 700 3D Marks in 3D Mark 2006, with my fps in the video tests fluctuating between 1 and 3.

This seems pretty poor for a GeForce Go 7400 w/256MB Ram. Is that the type of performance everyone else is seeing with RC2 and the 96.85 drivers? I've run several other versions, but most of those put me in the 500 range.

I got 4000-4100 in 3DMark06 on my go7900gs. I dont know what comparison the 7400 has though. Mine wasnt OC'd at the time. I since tried OC to 430/1200 but made little or no difference in 3DMark06.

I was resigned to think it was some bug in Vista, but the 7900 is the same family.

One thing of note is that the 7300 and 7400 are the ###### stepchildren of the Go series. Nvidia doesnt actually have a single driver for them on their site no matter what the OS is.

One thing of note is that the 7300 and 7400 are the ###### stepchildren of the Go series. Nvidia doesnt actually have a single driver for them on their site no matter what the OS is.
You're not alone here. Guess what, the complete GF2 Go, GF 4xx Go, FX Go5xxx and Go6xxx series are not supported by NVIDIA and only ODMs/OEMs are responsible for supplying drivers.

But there's hope as LV2Go stepped in years ago as a solution to that dilemna :)

Flickering in games here as well. I was thinking about trashing my MCE2k5 installation to save disk space, since Vista is working quite well for me, but I guess I won't do that just yet...

Edited by Legoguy

I just installed on my Toshiba Portege M205-S810 running a GeForce 5200 and no go. The screen flickers during setup, but at the end, it complains that the "Windows Host Process (RunDLL32) has stopped working". Has anyone else been able to work around this?

I had to edit the registry to enable aero with 5744 and the 96.85 drivers.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Composition set to 1 (32-bit DWORD)

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\CompositionPolicy set to 2 (32-bit DWORD)

Restart DWM by opening a command prompt with administrative privileges :

- Type 'net stop uxsms'

- Then 'net start uxsms'

:)

I get a little stutter at start but other than that they work well.

The rundll error has been traced to nero and mpeg2 thumbnails.

I had to edit the registry to enable aero with 5744 and the 96.85 drivers.................
:)

IT WORKS! :) My first dword value was already 1 but changing the second to 2 then doing the service restart made aero work. Geez, wish I knew this stuff. :P Many thanks for your tip. :P

....geez why didn't I keep checking back on this forum.....

Hi!

I have "Go 6100 VGA", after installing drivers and editing registry Aero worked, but video play failed. Has someone any idea how to resolve this problem? (Nvidia chipset driver istall made Aero disabled again.)

Thanks for your help.

Attila

Hopefully this doesn't get deleted:

Has anyone seen any display corruption with this the v96.85 VISTA 32bit RC2 drivers using a Geforce go 7600 or equivalent? I've ran my computer with this and the 64 bit and it runs all the glass stuff fine but when I run 3dmark 05 or 06, the graphics are torn in full screen. this drops my 3000 05 score to about 2550.

I'm stuck with tolerating this, finding a fix, or waiting for the next drivers to come out for Vista RTM.

This has occurred on everything RC2 and newer.

I've got the same problem with Vista x64.

It only happens with DX9, as 3Dmark 2k01 and 2k3 don't do it.

Could be a DX10 sofware problem or NV driver problem.

Will need to wait for next release or for Vista to ship and NV's driver to go with it.

I thought that might be. I found that vista comes with 96.86, but my computer doesn't recognize it, being unmodded :) . Forceware X should be coming out soon. If you find any better drivers to try other than 96.85, let me know.

Any word on a control panel for Vista? I'm running RTM and the 96.85 drivers are working well so far....

:) I'm not sure what driver came with RTM, cant check but in win update it says the driver id is 9626967

Edited by HvacTechIV

Does anyone else have issues with minor screen flickering on transitions, its not all the time, but it is definitely noticeable?

Corruption Fix

Ok, these along with other drivers may show some corruption and result in a terrible loss of performance in 3dmark, ect. After long hours of searching, I have the solution. Write this down so you can undo this.

Vista x64

Disable

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D]

"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:00000000

Double click the entry entry and give a Hex value of 1

if its not there, create it.

Vista x32

Disable:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D]

"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:00000000

Double click the entry and give a Hex value of 1

I hope this helps many of you out and remember to delete it once the next driver set comes out. If the problem returns, just reenable it again. This does not require a restart.

Treb

Great drivers, but...

what happened to PowerMizer??? It's not in he new Control Panel, and my GeForce Go 7400 is working all the time at full performance :) (both AC and battery).

any ideas how can i activated powermizer?