LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba P100/GeForce Go 7900GTX problems

Guest canismagnus

Guest canismagnus

Finally broke down and purchased a new toshiba laptop (P100-ST9412; XP Pro SP2; T2500 Core Duo; 1 GB RAM; GeForce Go 7900GTX w/ 512 VRAM originally running FW 84.0.0 r3 driver) to replace the old one. I immediately had problems with 3D games such as CoD2, Warhammer 40K, COH, Far Cry. Main problems seem similar to what other people on various forums have been describing re: 7xxx series cards; bold lines shooting into infinity-both horizontal and vertical, corrupted shadows, and random artifacts. I've tried various drivers (84.00, 84.25, 84.63, 91.47, etc.) but the problem is consistent between drivers.

I've updated my BIOS and chipset to the latest and greatest. Tried different resolutions and graphical settings, but the problems remain. Just got the laptop the other day and have spent more time tweaking the drivers and settings than playing games! Sucks for me I guess.

I haven't called Toshiba yet, but will tomorrow to get their take on the problem (I'm at 'work' right now). In reading the various posts on your forum and others, this seems to be a reoccuring problem with 7xxx series cards, but with no common solution. Solutions/troubleshooting tips include; a bad BIOS, a defective voltage regulator on the card, a power supply problem, a defective chip design with thermal problems-basically just about everything that could be wrong with an electronic device though no one has mentioned sunspots yet. I am hoping to get others feedback on the problem and will post any info I learn from Toshiba to help add to the confusion.

Please let me know what you all think (other than that I bought an expensive paperweight). At this point, my old Toshiba (P15-479; XP SP2, P4 2.8 Northwood, 1 gb ram, GeForce Go FX5200 w/ 64 mb vram) runs better than my new one. It may stutter and only run games at low res, but at least it renders the images properly.

Thanks in advance!

ok, so i have the same laptop, got it back in august. I origonally had weird artifacts in Oblivion, after about 45mins of game play, i updated the drivers to 91.31 and have had no trouble since then. I do want to ask, have you been able to access the 'clock speed' section in the nview control pannel, even with coolbits enable, i still cant see it. anyway, i hope that helps, good to find someone who has this laptop.

Nice to hear from you jdpkeeper. Glad to learn that the driver update took care of your problem. I never was able to access the (coolbits 2.0 enabled) overclocking menu for any of the forceware drivers I installed either. I did use rivatuner in a brief attempt at mucking with the clock speeds (higher and lower), but abandoned the effort when the same graphics errors occurred.

I spoke with the toshiba tech support folks this weekend, they were very polite and helpful, but basically had me take the same steps I had already done to try and resolve the issue. The final step they had me try was to reinstall windows, but that didn't help either.

Since I called within the initial 14-day purchase period, Toshiba issued me an RMA# and is sending a new P100-9412. I am hoping that I just got a bad graphics chip or something. Jdpkeeper-thanks for giving me hope that this computer was a decent buy! When the computer would run right, the graphics were stunning. If the new one works like it should, I will be a very satisfied customer. It would run Company of Heroes at 1280 x 800 with all the eye candy max'ed out at ~43 fps using the in-game benchmark. I figure the new one might run slower, since it will have to actually render the images correctly! I can't wait to try Oblivion.

I'll repost when I get the new machine. I sure hope it will be a glowing review with nothing but high praise for toshiba's value/performance/service package. I don't want it to be a wild rant about how they can't build a stable system. I've enjoyed my other Toshiba laptop for years, so that is why I went with them again.

Talk at you later!

I hope the new one they send you works, i hadnt bought a laptop for about 4 years, and my Inspiron 8500 wasnt cutting it anymore, when i priced new laptops, the performance vs price, toshiba won hands down, no other company came close if they did, they still were another $500+ to add the 7900 gtx 512mb video card, i run Oblivion at 1280x800 max detail, 4xAA 4xAF & Bloom, and get no lower then 20fps, with an average at like ~50.

later

PS Is yours a Core 2 duo, or still Core duo?

It's the core duo T2500-sounds like we got the same machine. The current version of the core 2 duo does use the same socket (479 M), we should be able to upgrade-like the user mobilenvidia did in this article:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=11518

It's a great article (thanks for sharing mobilenvidia!), but seems to lead me to save my money (newegg selling T7600 Core 2 Duo for ~$670) because the current performance difference doesn't seem worth the cash. Of course, in a couple years we'll both be sobbing about how our computers won't run the latest games anymore or execute 64-bit OS's, but what are you going to do. Dell is offering essentially the same system we got with a T7600 cpu ($3400) but it costs about a grand more than we paid. I'll buy a plane ticket to Hawaii or start saving for a desktop system that will have 64-bit support and a DX10 videocard with that money.

Right now, it seems like the T2500 should be more than enough CPU for the next couple years until Vista and DX10 really get kicking. It seems that most current games are still dialed in for single core chips. I also heard that they(Intel) will be coming out with a new mobile socket this coming spring '07, so if you want to upgrade, I'm thinking next summer might be a good time to hunt down a T7600 or something at a good price before they become extinct.

See ya!

As for the coolbits thing, Toshiba likes to lock that in the video bios, so the page doesn't show up. I never had any trouble using RivaTuner though.

I finally found the riva tuner, and that did finally get my clock speeds detected, and allowed me to change them, i was just making sure toshiba didnt have them clocked down, from the standard speed of other 7900 gtx's.

as for the core duos, i was really considering waiting till the core 2 duos came out, but once i saw that the real performance/batter life wasnt going to be that significant, until the release of the new chips in 07, i decided i didnt want to wait that long.

Guest canismagnus

Finally got the new-new P100. Seems pretty sweet so far. Loaded up Company of Heroes (COH) here at work and am seeing none of the crazy polygons, shadows, etc. that I was experiencing before. The other machine must have shipped with a bad videocard. COH runs at 1680*1050 with everything at high or ultra and AA enabled at 30 fps using the in-game performance test. Not too shabby.

Crap, now I want to really try this thing out, but I'm stuck at work. I think I feel a 'gaming cough' coming on. Might have to call in sick tomorrow.

Excellent website by the way. Look forward to checking more of it out when I come up for air. See you on the servers!

The New System

P100-9412

Core Duo T2500

XP SP2 Pro

1 GB Ram

GeForce Go 7900GTX 512mb vram (500/600)

Nvidia graphic driver 8.4.0.0 r3

Phoenix Bios 2.2

3D Mark 03 score ~18000

The Old System

P15-479

P4 2.8 Northwood

XP MCE 2003 SP2

1 GB Ram

Geforce Go FX5200 64mb vram (200/400-OC w/Riva Tuner to 220/430-geepers that's still slow)

Nvidia Driver 81.86

3D Mark 03 score ~1300 (no, that's not a typo. Really only 1300)

well its good to see that your new system works right now. I would suggest getting a copy of oblivion, it looks amazing! and if your a racing fan,pick up a copy of GTR2 and or RFactor, both look great on dx9 and full settings.