LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Couter Strike Source slow after new install

Guest Hypercite

Guest Hypercite

Hey all!

Ive been having some trouble with my video card.

Ive had this laptop for over a year now and its been working great.

Allthough about two weeks ago I formated it and I have been installing fresh operating system and software on it now for some days.

But when I tried to run Counter strike: Source the fps had droped from a steady 50fps to below 20fps.

Not fun! :)

So now I have been buting my arse of finding new stuff and drivers to clean the computer and all that s*** but nothing happens.

So I found this great place :)

Now I am wondering a few things since I am very new to tweaking my system and increasing its performance.

Some quotes and questions:

"I have flashed GeForce with 39.60 rom and it went without a problem (this is a must for any Amilo 3438 / 4438 owner)."

What does this mean and how do I do it?

"Or you might have vsync set to on in control panel. Set it to application preference in order to achieve best performance."

Same again, what does that mean and how do I do it?

"Amilo M3438G, 1,73GHz/512MB upgraded to x1800 (stock settings)"

What does the last part mean (upgraded to x1800)?

There is so much that I dont know how to do and I dont know what is wrong.

Sorry for my incompetense...itas hard beeing a nebie.

So to all you AmiloM3438G users here...

What did you do to upgrade you laptop?

And how do you do that? :P

Hyper

With all the people flashing their VBIOS... I only see a couple of them knowing what they do. Pieter is one of them... so there are few spots left. I'm :) by newbies flashing VBIOS even before they start to think.

1- Don't flash the VBIOS... it used to work OK so keep this option as last resort / backup plan / *pick a name*.

2- VSync gives a non tearing image at the expense of frame rate. You have to check that it's off in both the GeForce control panel and the game.

3- x1800 is the shortname of ATI Radeon x1800 VPU... it's a different graphic card.

Now for your problem in Counter Strike Source... you want to understand the roots of game settings. It's likely that the game has both Full screen antialiasing set to 2x and HDR to ON. Be sure to turn off FSAA...

ps: I edited the title to match your problem... and moved the thread to the proper forum.

Guest Hypercite

thanx for your quick reply!

okay so I shouldnt flash the BIOS...

So then what can I do?

Thinking about a new format and starting over again...

I mean its alittle weird that it has droped so much...must be som sort of driver problem or somethign...right?

Thanx

You should get prescription glasses...

Now for your problem in Counter Strike Source... you want to understand the roots of game settings. It's likely that the game has both Full screen antialiasing set to 2x and HDR to ON. Be sure to turn off FSAA...

HDR would kill your framerate too, I use "bloom only," if even that.

okay so I shouldnt flash the BIOS...

So then what can I do?

Thinking about a new format and starting over again...

I mean its alittle weird that it has droped so much...must be som sort of driver problem or somethign...right?

The VBios flashing depends on what NVidia driver you try to use; VBios 39.49 + drivers later than 81.98 (or about) work only with about 30% speed; VBios 39.60 fixes it.

Okay so if I want to use any off these drivers I pretty much have to flash the VBios....right?

One more thing....

I was trying to install a new driver (one from here) with the "have disc" method but I couldnt find the first window he opens... "the drivers properties page"....

I can open the nvidia display and the nView Desktop Manager but I cant find no drivers properties page... :)

And when I press the update drivers thing in the Nvidia Display I just get an error saying it cant find thye file "/page/drivers.html" .....

How do I do it?

Thanx!

Right click on My Computer, go to proparties. Click the Hardware tab and then click Device manager. Find your video card on the list, double click, and say update drivers.

• 4 weeks later...
The VBios flashing depends on what NVidia driver you try to use; VBios 39.49 + drivers later than 81.98 (or about) work only with about 30% speed; VBios 39.60 fixes it.

Well I am going to use the 84.21 since it seems to be the best...

But do you mean that 30% get cut of the performance or that my card really performs with only 30%!!??

Cause before my format I never flashed my card and still had constant 70 fps with my card....

Ohhh and where do I fnid this new BIOS thing?

And howrisky is it to flash it?

Thanx!

Edited by Hypercite

Eh you should be knowledgeable about flashing before going out and doing it....All this rush to making bootdisks on other forums in iso form for ANY user to flash their card just seems a little awkward to me...Essentially, I think you want to play around with the easy to use settings such as vsync, AA, AF, etc before you think about flashing...The reprucussion of having poor in-game/driver settings is a decrease in framerate...the reprecussion of flashing a corrupt rom to your card is a nice,new, shiny nvidia paperweight...

Yea and since it is a bit risky I was considering this....

Install a driver (from here) and see what happens. If I am happy with the fps then no problem :)

But I was wondering about one thing....

If I install a new driver without flashing the vbios.

And the decide that I still want to flash...will I have to uninstall the driver then?

Or will it still work....just flashing vbios with the new driver already installed...?

Thanx

But do you mean that 30% get cut of the performance or that my card really performs with only 30%!!??

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8245

See 82.04 and the effect of 39.49 bios to performance...

That's 70.02% slowdown on 3Dmark03, 73.22% on 3DMark05. :)