LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Pentium M Problem?

Guest tarheels_100

Guest tarheels_100

Here's the deal. I have an XPS Gen 2 with a 2.0 Pentium M. The other day I notice that my computer is running abnormally slow (a video I was playing was running very choppy). So I check a fan utility that I have (I8fanGUI) and it shows that my processor will not run above 800mhz even at 100% load (cpu-z also confirms this). So, of course I check all the obvious things: power profiles/settings, restarting the computer, plugging and unplugging it from the power supply. Nothing seems to work. The only changes that I've made lately are that I've updated Office and got the new IE 7. So I decided to try a system restore just to make sure it wasn't anything that I've done on my computer recently that's causing the problem. The problem is, almost all of my restore points won't allow me to restore and just send me back to the same state. I eventually got one to work that put me back before most of those installs and the problem is still present.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do so I call Dell, probably a big mistake. I was on the phone with an Indian guy for about 2 hours just doing arbitrary things like cleaning up temp files and changing my screen resolution (WTF?). Of course he's convinced that there no problem with the hardware or anything and send me on my way.

Now I know that something must be up because I ran 3dMark06 with the same settings now after the problem has come up as before and my score went down by about half. The cpu temp doesn't even hardly rise when I use 3dmark06. I've also tried reinstalling bios and drivers with no luck. I know that is a lengthy story, but I'm guessing most of you guys have a lot more experience with this than me and might have an idea or what to do next or where to go from here. Any help is appreciated!

Use CPU-Z to see your CPU clock in real time... on my laptop (same hardware as yours...I8kFanGUI says that the CPU stays at 1866MHz while I know for sure it drops at 800MHz.

Use CPU-Z to see your CPU clock in real time... on my laptop (same hardware as yours...I8kFanGUI says that the CPU stays at 1866MHz while I know for sure it drops at 800MHz.

When I use CPU-z and stress my computer with a video or iTunes visualization, it shows 800mhz the whole time, only fluctuating between 798-800mhz. In the past, CPU-z would show the multiplier going up and the resulting cpu speed going up as well. Now, the multiplier just sits at 6.0x.

Another thing to try: Make sure SpeedStep is enabled in your BIOS setup. If it's disabled, it stays at the slow speed rather than the fast.

Another thing to try: Make sure SpeedStep is enabled in your BIOS setup. If it's disabled, it stays at the slow speed rather than the fast.

I think I've done that, unless there is another place I need to check. When I booted up the computer, I pressed F2 at the Dell splash screen and it came up with a info/setup menu where speedstep could be enabled/disabled. Of course, I made sure that it was enabled, like you said, and even tried switching it off, booting up, and then switching it back on again and booting up. Is that different from what you were saying?

You've got it exactly. Some people assume disabling SpeedStep there will lock the CPU at full-speed. Instead, it's locked at half-speed.

When all the hope is gone... it's time for a live animal sacrifice... start small like a gerbil.

ps: avoid ducks since they'll spill blood everywhere runing headless...

When all the hope is gone... it's time for a live animal sacrifice... start small like a gerbil.

ps: avoid ducks since they'll spill blood everywhere runing headless...

Haha. I live on a college campus so squirrels are in plentiful reserve. Hmm...

Maybe I'll hold out a bit longer, there's hope yet!

Now seriously, do you think I could rule it out as a software problem if I did a fresh install of windows and formated the HD and all?

I don't remember if the Intel chipset driver are compulsary but you should:

- reset BIOS settings to default.

- install a clean Windows. (not a tweaked version from a weird website)

- install drivers.

- run the test.

I don't remember if the Intel chipset driver are compulsary but you should:

- reset BIOS settings to default.

- install a clean Windows. (not a tweaked version from a weird website)

- install drivers.

- run the test.

Alright, I understand all of that except for this. When you say reset BIOS settings to default, do you mean install the original/old version of the BIOS?

Nah I meant RESET BIOS SETTINGS.

Nah I meant RESET BIOS SETTINGS.

Alright, just an honest misunderstanding. I haven't changed my BIOS in any way that I know of so I guess I'm good to go in that area. Thanks a bunch for the help.

OK but if after the reinstall you still face the issue... give the Use default BIOS settings a try.

Or update System BIOS to latest know version offered by DELL Support and then find "Load/Use Default BIOS settings" and apply it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was just getting ready to backup my system today now that I'm home and have time to do the system reset. I started up my system and by some miracle, the problem is not longer there! The multiplier goes all the way up to 15x when needed like it should. How this could have happened, I have no idea. The only thing that I've done to it is blow some of the dust off of the fans with compressed air. The dust was apparently keeping one of the fans from getting up to speed. Besides that, I have no idea what to make of it. I'll post again if it changes back, but I'm hoping for the moment that won't happen.