LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset with GMA950 upgradeable with a dedicated GPU?

jacks

Hi i am really interested to know if the Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset with GMA950 can be upgraded with the installation of a mobile GPU in the available x16 graphics port, like on the desktop Intel® 945G Express Chipset? I'm looking into buying a good laptop that i can upgrade later with a Direct3D10 GPU.

Usually that kind of integrated chipset is soldered to the motherboard... so unless you find a laptop that has both integrated and MXM you are out of luck.

You'd rather aim for what suit your need RIGHT NOW. Or get a MXM laptop with a Type 3 module... and cross your fingers that MXM is here to stay.

ps: when Direct X 10 will be around (both hardware and software) you are likely to fall out of power CPU wise.