LaptopVideo2Go Forums

One major advantage of laptops...

Fabrice Roux

Low power consumption... I just bought an elcheapo power measure device from the local Lidl store. (10€)

A ran a little test on my desktop:

img_2007_dxo_small.jpg

img_2009_dxo_small.jpg

There have been little changes in the desktop setting since the picture, 19" CRT replaced by a 24" LCD.

I have 3 switchable power rails:

- important stuff (computers, speakers, network storage, ethernet switch, 800 VA UPS and LCD screen)

- periphals (printer, scanner, external HDD enclosures,...) which is off by default.

- power bricks (Palm, mouse, cellphone, Nintendo DS,...) which is off by default.

Here are my readings:

- computers off: 45 W

- laptop on: 95W

- laptop and main desktop computer on: 190W

- laptop and main desktop computer + LCD on: 260W

The gross readings give:

- laptop 50W

- 24" LCD 70W

- desktop 95W

So basically my laptop eats 3 times less power than the desktop computer. I'm a noise freak so the desktop computer is quieter than the laptop unless the GPU fan switches off. Of course the desktop computer is way more powerfull than my laptop... but for my 95% usage the laptop does the job perfectly.

Low power consumption... I just bought an elcheapo power measure device from the local Lidl store. (10€)

I also have one of those.. Scary things indeed the little bastards...

So basically my laptop eats 3 times less power than the desktop computer. I'm a noise freak so the desktop computer is quieter than the laptop unless the GPU fan switches off. Of course the desktop computer is way more powerfull than my laptop... but for my 95% usage the laptop does the job perfectly.

Agreed... I'm a self employed IT Idiot / Admin, doing as much work from home as possible.. And while I for a long time have been using my my trusty old FX53 powered box - I was forced, by forces of nature (Power outage killed my PSU, 40V on the 12V rails are t3h bad :) ), to use my laptop instead. Luckily, I had all my tools and settings saved on my server, so it was just a matter of switching, but during the last 10 work days, I've worked, as usual, with just my laptop... One really need to make a habit of this - especially when using the PC for 8-10 hours a day from home...

Cheers,

Steffen

Only bad part is, You just don't fire up TrackMania Nations for a few rounds of gaming relaxation :-(

Edited by Flerbizky