LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrade of XPS M1210

Daniel Dudek

$1,000,000 question - is it possible to upgrade Dell's XPS M1210 with something faster than GeForce Go 7400?

And - if it is - where could i found it?

Was asking in Dell, but they don't really know themselve...

From the official point of view the 7400 is the best option you can shove in a M1210.

At least for now, a future GF8 card might become available someday that would probably fit.

This might be an entry level card with TurboCache called 8400 once again with 4 pixel pipelines and 64 bits bus width. Giving a humongous 15-20% perf boost. :)

$1,000,000 question - is it possible to upgrade Dell's XPS M1210 with something faster than GeForce Go 7400?

And - if it is - where could i found it?

Was asking in Dell, but they don't really know themselves...

XPS 1210 with Nvidia GO 7400 is a different motherboard than the Intel GPU system. I got 2 XPS1210 systems, one with Intel and other with Nvidia, and until now the GO 7400 is a bleff to me, a marketing stuff.

I mean, a piece of sh.. total deception to me.

I can´t believe several systems are adopting it.. and I don´t understand why (I am not intel fan at all).. it is so much marketing around it, no support, neither Nvidia has much information if You search GO 7400 apears lots of stuff around 7300 and 7900. And advance features are shown as if they were for both systems, but in little note at the bottom, you find that those systems, are not in the 7400 and 7300.. to me this is cheat!.

And wht intel is not in games referrals neither a bit around the GPU 950 integrated to intel chipset system..? Would Appel notebooks spect, suggest anything since they don´t care about nvidia? The XPS1210 with intel, has run all the games I install.. of course not best performance, but has not a problem and battery life is longer.

in other words, nvidia chipset is not an add-on module on the XPS1210, as far as I could research.

I configure both system and the intel run google Earth in OpenGL and DirecX without problems while the Nvidia couldn?t in OpenGL mode.

Doom 3 demo, install and run on intel and on nvidia I am still trying.

Only in benchmarks nvidia GPU based, show some 5% higher performance than Intel..

Worse of all, I always thought 1210 Nvidia was an optional upgrade like Sony does in the ZS, but no!!. Worst, is other architecture, that has several bugs.. Is a different system that hasn?t show me else than deceptions, since Intel architecture has work solid and consistence taking advantage of all the Intel 945 chipset features.

Battery on the Nvidia GPU, last 1hr.15 minutes less than in Intel 950GPU... besides intel based system has shown me nice features as snap on the fly rotation screens, and no flicker in Winning Eleven while screen scrolls.. Nvidia shows defect lines while Winning eleven scrolls.

I post my critics on Dell Weblog.. and guess what. It has been removed.

To me, nvidia 1210 system is a marketing stuff... or an immature system.. or..

Be aware..

PD: $ 150.000 would be enought.. the 850.000 left , we can donate it to charity..! .)

Can you post a NERD log pls? I'm interested in the innards of the XPS 1210 besides DELL's official specification page...

• 2 weeks later...

In the Dell service manual, it only shows integrated video on the motherboard. There is no way of upgrading the video card.

• 9 months later...
XPS 1210 with Nvidia GO 7400 is a different motherboard than the Intel GPU system. I got 2 XPS1210 systems, one with Intel and other with Nvidia, and until now the GO 7400 is a bleff to me, a marketing stuff.

I mean, a piece of sh.. total deception to me.

I can´t believe several systems are adopting it.. and I don´t understand why (I am not intel fan at all).. it is so much marketing around it, no support, neither Nvidia has much information if You search GO 7400 apears lots of stuff around 7300 and 7900. And advance features are shown as if they were for both systems, but in little note at the bottom, you find that those systems, are not in the 7400 and 7300.. to me this is cheat!.

And wht intel is not in games referrals neither a bit around the GPU 950 integrated to intel chipset system..? Would Appel notebooks spect, suggest anything since they don´t care about nvidia? The XPS1210 with intel, has run all the games I install.. of course not best performance, but has not a problem and battery life is longer.

in other words, nvidia chipset is not an add-on module on the XPS1210, as far as I could research.

I configure both system and the intel run google Earth in OpenGL and DirecX without problems while the Nvidia couldn?t in OpenGL mode.

Doom 3 demo, install and run on intel and on nvidia I am still trying.

Only in benchmarks nvidia GPU based, show some 5% higher performance than Intel..

Worse of all, I always thought 1210 Nvidia was an optional upgrade like Sony does in the ZS, but no!!. Worst, is other architecture, that has several bugs.. Is a different system that hasn?t show me else than deceptions, since Intel architecture has work solid and consistence taking advantage of all the Intel 945 chipset features.

Battery on the Nvidia GPU, last 1hr.15 minutes less than in Intel 950GPU... besides intel based system has shown me nice features as snap on the fly rotation screens, and no flicker in Winning Eleven while screen scrolls.. Nvidia shows defect lines while Winning eleven scrolls.

I post my critics on Dell Weblog.. and guess what. It has been removed.

To me, nvidia 1210 system is a marketing stuff... or an immature system.. or..

Be aware..

PD: $ 150.000 would be enought.. the 850.000 left , we can donate it to charity..! .)

EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID IS NOT REALLY TRUTH. I OWN A XPS M1210 WITH NVIDIA CHIP ON IT AND DOES WORK LIKE A CHARM JUST OUT OF THE BOX ON ANY OPENGL APPLICATION I'VE RUN INCLUDING GOOGLE EARTH AND DOOM 3 NOT JUST THE DEMO ALSO THE FULL GAME. I'M A FPS GAMER AND STARTED OUT WITH DOOM AND PLAYED TONS OF FPS GAMES ON IT AND THE DIFFERENCE IN FPS AND IMAGE QUALITY BECOMES HUGE COMPARED TO THE ONE ON THE 950G ACCORDING TO VIDEO BENCHMARKS COMPARISSONS SHARED WITH OTHER USERS ON THE NET.

SECOND THE MAINBOARD CHIPSET (NORTH BRIDGE AND SOUTH BRIDGE) ON THE XPS M1210 WITH THE NVIDIA ADD ON ARE EXACT AS IN THE PLAIN 945G.

THE ONLY THING THAT IS TRUE IS THAT THE SYSTEM IS A LITTLE INMATURE BUT WORKING IT AROUND WITH THE DRIVERS PROVIDED BY DELL AND WINDOWS VISTA (NOT XP) RUNS SMOOTH AND SWEET.

NEVER COMPARE THE XPS M1210 WITH ANY SONY ZS SYSTEMS THAT ARE REALLY WORTHLESS AND THE ONLY THING YOU'RE PAYING ON THEM IS THE SONY LOGO BRAND.

FINALLY IF YOU NEED HELP WITH YOUR SYSTEM BROWSE AROUND THE WEB AND THERE ARE TONS OF DEDICATED FORUMS FOR WORKING AROUND THIS LITTLE BEAUTY. ALSO YOU CAN MAIL ME AT JAURETA@VTR.NET FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING THE 1210. THIS IS THE 7TH LAPTOP I'VE HAD AND IS THE BEST I HAD SO FAR. I'VE HAD SONY, HP, SHARP AND GATEWAY 2000 AND OTHER DELLS AND THIS LAST ONES ARE THE ONES THAT LASTED MORE AND HAD BEST PERFORMANCE.

REGARDS,

JORGE

• 7 months later...

I see you've found the caps lock key. :)

You can't upgrade the video card in a dell m1210 because it's a BGA chip soldered directly to the board. The only thing you can do is switch to a different board; of which only two are available, the 950 and the 7400.

• 4 months later...

^^Nope, integrated.

• 1 year later...

I see you've found the caps lock key. :)

You can't upgrade the video card in a dell m1210 because it's a BGA chip soldered directly to the board. The only thing you can do is switch to a different board; of which only two are available, the 950 and the 7400.

Hi, I also have a Dell XPS M 1210 Laptop. For what I use it for, I've been fairly happy with it for the last three years. Recently I was doing some research about windows 7 (I'm still running XP) and after running their windows 7 upgrade utility to check and see if my computer can handle it, it mentions that this Aero desktop experience will not function with my current video card.

I had wondered about getting better graphics before, but I never put any research into it.

I dont really know much about what you said up there, but just out of curiosity, are you saying that you can upgrade your graphics, but in order to do so, you would have to put in a new motherboard? Or is it that there are only two options, the nvidia 7400 that i already have, or the intel counterpart...?