LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Can't overclock Go 7950 GTX

mortimer

Hello all,

I can't seem to get any core/memory clock frequency settings to save on my XPS M1710 with a 7950GTX card. I've tried using both Coolbits and ATITool, but neither will save the clock settings after I change them. Coolbits "looks" like it saves when I click "Apply" but when I open it back up the settings are back to stock. ATITool just reverts back to stock when i click the "set clocK" button.

I've tried several versions of Forceware from this site (and the stock Dell drivers) but nothing works -- anyone had any success with OC'ing the 7950 GTX?

you neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to flash your videocards BIOS (Dell have locked go79XX laptops at the factory).

burn a ISO-CD and reboot with it, follow then the instructions.

but what i have read, is the 7900gtx/go7950gtx NOT any good overclockingcard, think it was that they allready use 1.24 V or something, think it allso gone be tuff for you to find a ISO-file to burn who fit for your card.

BE CAREFULLY

namnlswh7.png

namnlslj2.png

namnlsca7.png

Edited by mattias

Probably not the best idea... the 7950 pumps out enough heat as it is.

Seriously though, I've heard you can roast a turkey on the things.

Maybe not a great OC'er, but it should be a *good* oc'er, especially since Dell has the memory clock set at 600Mhz. It's my understand it's a system builder option to set the memory clock at 600 or 700Mhz -- Dell sets theirs at 600 (probably for heat reasons) so surely I can easily get 650 or 700+ on the memory clock without any probs.

This will lead to a 0.5% performance boost... yeah really worth it.

like i said, you need to find a ISO-file who fit for your go7950gtx first (a clean one of course).

Edited by mattias

Of course, mattias is suggesting one of the riskiest things you can do with your computer.

Of course, mattias is suggesting one of the riskiest things you can do with your computer.

listen here, he asked about OC a go7950gtx, the ONLY way is to flash, thats it.

Smax IS right though.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

Smax IS right though.

The man who fried his GPU because of overclocking has spoken... :)

i dont understand what you are talking about, im never been cloose to any high temps on my gpu.

grove up, or stop comment me more.

Edited by mattias

He's got a different GPU that runs a lot hotter. The only way to OC it IS to flash it, just warn him that if anything goes wrong he's going to have a $3000 paperweight.

I'd say most of the danger isn't from overheating because the computer would shut itself down before any major damage is done... hopefully. Repeatedly flashing the video card bios isn't something to be taken lightly at all. One error and you turn in to one of the idiots calling tech support for a new card because you killed it in a careless way.

Edited by smax

The man who fried his GPU because of overclocking has spoken... :)

And I learned my lesson from it....

Oh and would Dell even replace a dead card like that?

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

He's got a different GPU that runs a lot hotter. The only way to OC it IS to flash it, just warn him that if anything goes wrong he's going to have a $3000 paperweight.

I'd say most of the danger isn't from overheating because the computer would shut itself down before any major damage is done... hopefully. Repeatedly flashing the video card bios isn't something to be taken lightly at all. One error and you turn in to one of the idiots calling tech support for a new card because you killed it in a careless way.

hhmm, i didnt mean you. :)

I got the same here... Cant overclock... Always resets itself to stock...

My GPU never went over 70C, at idle its 58C to 60C...

Stock: 575/600

FW Find Optimal: 651/764 (I want to use it and see)

How to I get my BIOS of the card and change the clocks and reflash it back on the Card???

I already have a backup ready (for blind recovery) Just need the Original BIOS from the card...

You have to flash to overclock...You dont have to wait on iso's of cds and such as you can make your own rom's and make the bootable...If you want to do everything yourself, use nibitor to make the rom, and make nvflash bootable in dos...you can use bootable cd, usb, or hell, even floppy...

Flashing isnt pointless as you can lower the voltages from stock and have a cooler card, but you could end up with a $500 chair balance (someone already used paperweight :) )

The 6800u and 7950gtx just really dont have much headroom for overclocking...

All this being said, Roux, you up for flashing a 6800u bios to your card :) ?...

Oh, Forgot to ask...

I just got my XPS M1710 about 3 weeks ago...

Now is the Graphics Card removable or is it built into the MoBo???

Is there a way to upgrade it to GO 8800GTX when it becomes available???

Oh, and this laptop was not $500 it was $8,000 :) ... maybe the card itself is $500...

If it is $500, I will get 2. so I can mess around... lol

Just got the program... Here is my BIOS ROM... Version is the filename...

5.71.22.45.06_Original.rar

Edited by wolvorine4424

As for the go8800, no one really knows what the die size is going to be, and until then we won't know if it will fit on a card with the same specifications as current cards.

In short, I dunno.

why in the name of ###### do you want to OC your go7900gtx, let it be for god sake, even my go7900gs is powerfull enough.

the reason you cant OC gtx with great result, is because that the card allraedy use 1.24 V, and that you cant find so many good ISO-files to burn for gtx.

and no, you cant change g.card in your laptop, maybe if you send it away, but it will cost you a lot of green

Edited by mattias

• 4 weeks later...
why in the name of ###### do you want to OC your go7900gtx, let it be for god sake, even my go7900gs is powerfull enough.

the reason you cant OC gtx with great result, is because that the card allraedy use 1.24 V, and that you cant find so many good ISO-files to burn for gtx.

and no, you cant change g.card in your laptop, maybe if you send it away, but it will cost you a lot of green

I overclcked my go 7900 GTX little bit using rivatuner. 529/629 stock was 500/600 and max i got on mark06 was 5707. But still have that little lag at the beginning of game. Any ideas how to minimize the lag?

I overclcked my go 7900 GTX little bit using rivatuner. 529/629 stock was 500/600 and max i got on mark06 was 5707. But still have that little lag at the beginning of game. Any ideas how to minimize the lag?

What kind of lag? Like slow load times or...?

bit of a poor show by dell not letting the 7950 gtx be overclocked at sortware level.

What do you mean? If anythng it's smart... Idiots don't burn out nearly as many $500 gaphics cards this way. What is the point of overclocking such a hot overpowered card anyway?

What do you mean? If anythng it's smart... Idiots don't burn out nearly as many $500 gaphics cards this way. What is the point of overclocking such a hot overpowered card anyway?

I dont think its smart at all. If these so called 'idiots' do this to their card then its their choice, they know the risks. For a company, and lets say Dell in this instance locks the card down is completely arrogant, its not their card, its not covered in their warranty (ok, maybe complete care but im not 100% sure) so who gives them the right to lock it down. If they think they are doing us a favour by taking this action then its even worse.

The point of overclocking is that you have a choice, the 7950 GTX is clocked at 600mhz mem, when the spec is clearly 700mhz. We have bought a 7950 GTX so expect at the very least to have it running at the specs of the card we purchased. Its the 7900 that has mem speeds of 600mhz. It may only be a tiny hit in performace but thats not the point. The point is that we want our cards running at the spec we paid for and to be given the choice of clocking the card should we see fit.

Its not much to ask, after all, its our card, we paid for it.

Rant over :)

It seems that you have failed to understand simple stuff like... locking overclocking at the BIOS prevents average moronic joe to fry it's graphic card... therefore it cuts the support costs. It doesn't prevent geeky nerds to use modified BIOSes to achieve insane overclocking levels.

I'm pisses by morons that fry their card and beg their OEM for replacement. I owned at least one desktop nVidia GPU per generation since the TNT2 Ultra. I overclocked all of them but the first one and never fried anything. The TNT 2 Ultra was already overclocked by the manufacturer. (183 instead of 175) :) When you do something always ask yourself if it's worth it. The average joe has troubles understanding what he does... so it might be a long time before he understands the risks.

You own your laptop... you can do whatever you want with it... but as soon as you push the most expensive elements so they might break... it's has a fre@king impact on the support cost. So you have OEMs that chose the wise path of reliability and others that deliver unproperly cooled laptops that overheat at stock speeds. I'd rather buy a OEM1 laptop with locked GPU at a regular price than a hyped fancy geeky pushed to the max GPU that is twice expensive just to cover the costs of 50% dying GPU before the end of the warranty.

I chosed my side... I put my money in Dell for the huge screens and decent reliability. Is it too difficult to at least look for information about a laptop before you buy it? There are even "safer" OEMs than Dell...