LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Vista Requirements

mobilenvidia

Found a good article on whats needed to run Vista's various incarnations over at Comcast.net

Here is what is needed for 'Ultimate'

Minimum:

800 MHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) CPU

512 MB of system memory - RAM (Only 64 MB can be used for Integrated UMA Graphics Memory)

20 GB hard disk with 15 GB of free hard disk space

Super VGA (800 x 600) graphics card

Internal or external CD-ROM drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Maximum:

2 Physical CPUs (Multi-Core + Hyper-threading supported)

4 GB of system memory - RAM with 32-bit (x86) CPU

128 GB of system memory - RAM with 64-bit (x64) CPU

10 Simultaneous Peer Network Connections

Recommended:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) CPU

1 GB of system memory - RAM (Only 256 MB can be used for Integrated UMA Graphics Memory)

40 GB hard disk with 15 GB of free hard disk space

128 MB Windows Aero-capable DirectX 9-class graphics card

Internal or external DVD-ROM drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Internet access capability

Audio output capability

Notes - Actual hardware requirements will vary, depending on system configuration and on the programs and the features that you install. If you install Windows Vista over a network, additional hard disk space may be required.

For the whole article on more versions of Vista have a look here

I'm not sure how Vista will do, as it's a resource hog, you need a good GPU, CPU and RAM lots of RAM.

This for the majority will mean new machines.

Gamers will not be too impressed with DX9c 10% performance drop.

But DX10 will probably only be supported on Vista, this should bring them accross as these games come out.

Will be an interesting few months/years ahead.

Downloading Vista right now to test it on my VAIO, beta versions worked quite good, so I guess the final will run great too...

I'm not going to use this as main OS, will wait for SP1 and a Dutch version :)

Any ideas when this wil be released to MSDNAA subscribers ? I have only Vista Beta 1 on my MSDNAA account (some student version of MS or something...)

What is the deal with only 2 physical CPUs, intel already has quad core out, will this not work fully?

Even the business and Enterprise Editions say only 2...

When you consider newer computers and upgraded desktop PCs, its really not that big a deal, who would actually put less than 512MB ram in a new PC anyway?

My next laptop should be able to run this thing with ease, I'll definitely be getting a new laptop next year for college.

I tried Vista RTM on my E1705 laptop.

All I feel is the shutdown time is way way faster than XP and boot time is also little faster than XP.

In Vista, everything seems more responsive and snappier.

I don't think Vista is a resource hog because it only uses 35% of my total memory on boot with many gadgets in Side bar, Aero enabled and such.

After all this year is 2006 and soon we will be in 2007, I guess nobody is using fewer than 512MB RAM.

My friends also installed Vista on their laptops, they all have only 512MB, and Vista ran very well.

What did you mean by "DX9c 10% performance drop"??? Did you mean playing games in Vista will run worst than playing games in XP? Plz explain coz I'm thinking of getting Vista for my laptop with geforce 6600 and 1gb of ram but if games run worst on Vista then I may change my mind and keep using XP since only Geforce 8800 or above can use DX10... Thx.

Edited by maksin01

What did you mean by "DX9c 10% performance drop"??? Did you mean playing games in Vista will run worst than playing games in XP? Plz explain coz I'm thinking of getting Vista for my laptop with geforce 6600 and 1gb of ram but if games run worst on Vista then I may change my mind and keep using XP since only Geforce 8800 or above can use DX10... Thx.

you will expect a maximum 10% performance drop in Vista.

Just like everyone whined when Windows 98 tansitioned to Windows XP, and also experienced performance drop.

you will expect a maximum 10% performance drop in Vista.

Just like everyone whined when Windows 98 tansitioned to Windows XP, and also experienced performance drop.

Ok... Long story short, if I mainly use my laptop for games, would you suggest I go for Vista or stay with XP?

Edited by maksin01

Ok... Long story short, if I mainly use my laptop for games, would you suggest I go for Vista or stay with XP?

stay XP.

Get Vista when you buy a new laptop.