LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce GO 7900GS and VISTA = Fans not working :(

starti

Hi everybody, I'm new here :)

Yesterday i got my MSDNAA Version of Windows Vista Ultimate. I own a Toshiba Satellite P100-191 with a Geforce 7900 GS. Under XP MCE with SP2 everything worked finde, with all versions from the 8x and 9x ForceWare Series.

Under Windows Vista Ultimate i've got strong thermal issues.

With the "Standard VGA-Driver" (delivered with Windows Vista) the fan(s) of the GeForce 7900 GS are working and the GPU stays cool.

But when I install a driver of the 9x Series (I tried: v97.34, v97.27, v96.85 and the offical XP drivers from Toshiba (Version 8x - but this ends in a BSOD)) i get full 3D Support etc. BUT the GPU is getting VERY hot after a while. Everest says the GPU temperature is at ~110°C and the GPU is clocking itself down to 100Mhz. :P

I set the Mobility-Center to "Performance" but the fans are still not working.

Another example:

When i power my laptop on, it's cool and games are working fine. But when the time goes on and the GPU is getting hotter and hotter the frames are dropping constantly and it ends in a slideshow. Even working in Vista is getting slower and the left side (where the GPU is) of the laptop case is really hot.

I don't know what i can do, to get the fans / thermal management working.

Maybe somebody has a suggestion for me or even better: a solution. :)

Thanks in advance,

Henning

*cough* Read this thread...

Ouch...

So, there is no solution yet or a possibilty to control the fans manually?

I'm wondering that in the whole forum nobody else im complaining about this problem or are drivers available where this problem doesn't occur?

I haven't heard of a fan control utility that works on Vista yet...

The long list of bonus features in Vista just keeps on growing!

The solution:

There is a BIOS Update available for the Toshiba P100-191 which updates the BIOS from 2.10 to 2.40.

I flashed the BIOS under Windows XP, did a reboot and switched to Vista.

The fans are now working like a charm and the system stays cool and no framedrops anymore.

I'm running Vista now for about 4 hours and the temperature stays at approx. 60°C. :)

I'm using ForceWare 96.85 now and it still works :)

• 1 month later...

I had the exact same problem. I just used V97.46, then every thing fine

Jie

Hi everybody, I'm new here :)

Yesterday i got my MSDNAA Version of Windows Vista Ultimate. I own a Toshiba Satellite P100-191 with a Geforce 7900 GS. Under XP MCE with SP2 everything worked finde, with all versions from the 8x and 9x ForceWare Series.

Under Windows Vista Ultimate i've got strong thermal issues.

With the "Standard VGA-Driver" (delivered with Windows Vista) the fan(s) of the GeForce 7900 GS are working and the GPU stays cool.

But when I install a driver of the 9x Series (I tried: v97.34, v97.27, v96.85 and the offical XP drivers from Toshiba (Version 8x - but this ends in a BSOD)) i get full 3D Support etc. BUT the GPU is getting VERY hot after a while. Everest says the GPU temperature is at ~110°C and the GPU is clocking itself down to 100Mhz. :P

I set the Mobility-Center to "Performance" but the fans are still not working.

Another example:

When i power my laptop on, it's cool and games are working fine. But when the time goes on and the GPU is getting hotter and hotter the frames are dropping constantly and it ends in a slideshow. Even working in Vista is getting slower and the left side (where the GPU is) of the laptop case is really hot.

I don't know what i can do, to get the fans / thermal management working.

Maybe somebody has a suggestion for me or even better: a solution. :)

Thanks in advance,

Henning