LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Laptop GPU fan died!

Louis Ceifer

My Alienware Area-51m 766 GPU fan has just died...it was making terrible clicking sound kind of like a cricket so i decided to open the laptop cover only to discover it was only spinning intermittently. Now i need to find a replacement so i would welcome any advice as to where i can buy a new one, or if anyone has had a similar issue and how they resolved it!!?? The fan is a SUNON GC054007VH-8A "V1.B545 its DC5V - 0.4w. No point trying Alienware as i am out of warrenty. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Edited by Louis Ceifer

Go to the Sunon website. They have a form you can fill in.

Thanks a million.....Have filled in the form...just have to wait and see if they can replace it!!! Thanks again for your help and quick reply!!

• 1 month later...

Louis,

I have the exact same problem with the exact same system and the EXACT same video card fan! I was just wondering if you have had your problem resolved with Sunon and if it worked. Let me know asap and i will probably do the same. I sent Sunon an email and the following is their respose:

This part was bought/shipped from overseas and we have never sold it individually in the US. You need to contact the manufacture of the laptop or you can do a Google search to see if any notebook supply stores carry it.

Best regards,

Martha Ibarra

Yup, i too am out of warrenty. Without it, Alienware pretty much says tough luck. Anywho ironically it happened about 3 days after the actual expiration of the warrenty... oh dont worry its the last time i ever shop Alienware you can believe that! Welp, let me know how it went and best of luck!

• 1 year later...
Guest matttail

I too had this problem with my alienware Area 51m model 766 laptop. I searched on-line for several days and couldn't find anyone who could supply this part. I even contacted alienware and they were of no use, linking me to a laptop parts website that didn't have the fan. They offered that I could send the laptop in for repair and they would replace the entire video module for me, over one small dead fan. How stupid.

I saw the posts here, and a few other mentions of this fan dying on a blog, and went to contact sunon. I first contacted sunonusa.com and sent them an E-mail, and I suspect that's what Martha above did. What you need to do is contact sunon.com their site is written in good enough english to understand, and they have a specific note book fan replacement form you can fill out. If they have a matching fan, as they did in my case, they'll give you the fan for free you only have to pay shipping.

Sunon is sending the fan out via DHL Express to my address for $30. For coming from Tawian that's not bad at all. I hope this information helps out others.

P.S. sorry for posting to such an old thread, but I thought this was significantly more relevant than creating a new thread.

P.S. sorry for posting to such an old thread, but I thought this was significantly more relevant than creating a new thread.

Mattail, you've "given" in our best tradition, and we thank you dearly for your time and sharing -- even on this old thread. Please register with the forum so that you can continue to add for other's use. I'm sure someone will find your post very useful to say the least, as we're not all that creative in pursuing hard to hunt down parts as you seem to have been. Great job, and let's hear more from you in the future.

• 2 months later...
Guest pos315
I too had this problem with my alienware Area 51m model 766 laptop. I searched on-line for several days and couldn't find anyone who could supply this part. I even contacted alienware and they were of no use, linking me to a laptop parts website that didn't have the fan. They offered that I could send the laptop in for repair and they would replace the entire video module for me, over one small dead fan. How stupid.

I saw the posts here, and a few other mentions of this fan dying on a blog, and went to contact sunon. I first contacted sunonusa.com and sent them an E-mail, and I suspect that's what Martha above did. What you need to do is contact sunon.com their site is written in good enough english to understand, and they have a specific note book fan replacement form you can fill out. If they have a matching fan, as they did in my case, they'll give you the fan for free you only have to pay shipping.

Sunon is sending the fan out via DHL Express to my address for $30. For coming from Tawian that's not bad at all. I hope this information helps out others.

Hey mattail, on the off chance you read this thread again, do you have the pictures you sent to sunon? My brother seems to have the same model alienware with gc054007vh-8a sunon fan. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hey mattail, on the off chance you read this thread again, do you have the pictures you sent to sunon? My brother seems to have the same model alienware with gc054007vh-8a sunon fan. Thanks.

Not sure how the forum treats live links so I replaced the tt with xx put tt back in to go to this link for alienware cooling fan for video card.I removed mine cleaned with contact cleaner then wd 40 runs better now.

hxxp://www.pchub.com/uph/model/0--10620-1/GC054007VH-8A-parts.html