LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Weird experience

zifnabbe

Hi,

My native resolution is 1280x800. (Last Dell supported driver; AdapterType: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M <-> Adapterchars: GeForce Go 7400)

When I play a game (Quake III based, eg Enemy Territory) and exit it, my screen is now 1024x768 and stretched. If I go to the properties of the screen, I even can't go to resolution of 1280x800!

When I reboot, I see windows starts in 1280x800, but then goes back to 1024x768!

I 'sometimes' get the option to move back to 1280x800, but windows then says I have no rights to do so! Sometimes windows tells me I've a driver for an old version of windows...

If I use the control panel of nvidia and use the button to move back to native resolution, the application freezes.

The only way I find out so far to get back into native resolution is to uninstall the driver and reinstall it.

Do others have similar problems? Any ideas/solutions?

Thanks

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

Edited by zifnabbe

Go to the GeForce properties and set Fixed aspect ratio scaling.

Is your gaming resolution 1024x768? I think you can make the game run in native resolution too. Visit WideScreenGamingForum.

So I have a GeForce, instead of a Quatro? Why does dell then tell me that I need to install the Quatro driver?

If I go to the nvidia control panel, I can select 4 topics:

nvidia scaling

nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio

native scale

don' t scale

I had it on 'native scaling', so now I've set it on the nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio. Is this the one you meant?

Is your gaming resolution 1024x768? I think you can make the game run in native resolution too.

I had set it to 800x600, but that doesn't seemed to fix the issue. I'll look a the link you provided me

Unfortunately, this gives me the same problem. After closing the game, I see a dialog window that a program had requested a lower resolution then 1280x800...

If I now go back to the nvidia control panel and look at the resolution attributes, it gives me the highest possible resolution of 1024x768... so I can't change back to 1280x800

looking at the screenscale tab, I see the following information:

nvidia-scaling with fixed aspect ratio

native resolution: 1280x800

current resolution: 1024x768

If I would click on the button 'move to native resolutuion' the nvidia control panel freezes.

At the moment I only can switch back to the native resolution by uninstalling/reinstalling the driver

it's getting even stranger:

If I install the driver (and don't restart the pc) and run the game. Then exit the game, the screen returns in 1280x800.

But after the pc has restarted and the games is run and exited again, the screen is in 1024x768 and I can't change the resolution to 1280x800. It seems that then the screen driver doesn't recognises it is a 1280x800.

The game itself is set to play at 800x600

Find a little animal... it's time for live animal sacrifice. :)

Are you using the official 84.69 driver? Or the moded version from our website?

Are you using the official 84.69 driver? Or the moded version from our website?

I'm using the official from Dell which is 84.69 (MS 6.14.10.8469)

Would this be fixed in the modded version? However I've a question, which driver should I use?

The Quadro or the GeForce?

If I go to the Dell site and provide my serial number, it tells me I've a quadro, but looking at the results from NERD, the laptop has a GeForce Go 7400 Chip Type, but a Quadro NVS 120M cardname. So I'm confused. Or is this correct? ie is the Quadro based on a GeForce chip?

(I must admit that I'm not an expert in video cards)

Edited by zifnabbe

Hi,

I just installed the modded version 84.25 (the version provided as general recommendation).

It installs the driver for the GeForce 7400 GO. So I guess, in reality, the laptop has a GeForce GO and not a Quadro... If this is the case, then I don't understand DELL... (if you have some more information on this, I would be very thankful).

Anyhow, this driver works as it should. If getting out of a game, the resolution is back to normal, ie 1280x800.

I'm wondering if higher versions would still work... I've to try that some day. One other question: should I stick with the '80' drivers or use '97' drivers

Thanks

Why the hell do you use a modded driver when Dell has an official 84.69 for your GPU. Which happens to be one of the best driver for 6xxx and 7xxx.

Why the hell do you use a modded driver when Dell has an official 84.69 for your GPU. Which happens to be one of the best driver for 6xxx and 7xxx.

See previous posts:

I have these problems with the official version of Dell!

I just installed the modded version 84.25 and there I don't have these issues...

The GeForce 7300, 7400, Quadro NVS 110 and NVS 120 use the same core... some OEM use the same ID for the GeForce and the Quadro there is nothing shocking there.

If you want to learn a little bit more about the GPU cores read their specs in the Recommended driver thread.

Your GPU is one of the last released... so switching to higher driver version might help over the 84.xx serie. You might want to try the 93.50.

Hi,

Yes, the 93.50 works perfectly as well.

No issues concerning losing native resolution after playing a quakeIII game.

Thanks