LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems with WinVista64 graphic drivers

Mikkel

I have a major problem!

I have downloaded WinVista64 88.61 graphic driver

But when i try to extract it i get an error "7-Zip: Diagnostic messenge: is not supported archive"

even when i have winrar installed and i have tried redownload and reboot my laptop still doesn't work

I have Windows Vista Ultimate with Geforce4 440 go 64m.

any suggestions?

Edited by Mikkel

First of all, 3D mode of Vista will never work with your GPU.

Second of all, why don't you try downloading a much recent driver.

First of all, 3D mode of Vista will never work with your GPU.

Second of all, why don't you try downloading a much recent driver.

I can't find any more recent driver for vista 64 bit :/

that is the only driver that could run with my vista but i have problems extrakting it

Vista32 has a driver available via Windows Update that at least allows use of 3d apps/games, but no Aero or anything else.

Vista64 is a lost cause for anything less then a GeforceFX though.

Vista32 has a driver available via Windows Update that at least allows use of 3d apps/games, but no Aero or anything else.

Vista64 is a lost cause for anything less then a GeforceFX though.

Christ I'm tired of people, PARTICULARY Fabrice Roux, making completely unfounded, bulls*** claims about things they know nothing about. I'm running Vista RTM x64 (build 6000; yes, it is the real thing) on my Compaq Presario R3000z with it's GeForce 4 440 Go 64M (most decidedly NOT "at least a GeForce FX") using XP 64-bit driver version 71.84 and I've had no trouble with "Vista 3D (DirectX or OpenGL)" including running Maya 8 64-bit and R.O.S.E. Online (which I assume uses D3D). Most importantly, although I'm NOT running Aero (but who *really* cares?), I find my desktop is MUCH more responsive (and better looking) than under XP, thus this: "Vista64 is a lost cause for anything less then a GeforceFX though" is patently FALSE.

q

I tested every single build of Vista since beta 2... on my 3 main PCs. The only 2 that worked properly where the laptop GeForce 6800 Go and the desktop GeForce 7600 Go. On the desktop I tested the 64 bits versions. Rather quickly I stopped the testing on both the laptop and the server... the old beta LONG and SLOW install killed my motivation.

My server uses a GeForce 4 4600 and refused to run anything 3D related. Given that the rest of the hardware is pretty standard (Asus nForce 2 motherboard, Athlon 2500+ and 1GB) and that the legacy driver was lacking a lot of 3D related stuff. Plus the fact that nVidia driver didn't include support for anything older than a GeForce FX even in it's latests "official driver" 96.85 for desktop GPU on Vista 32bits.

*Keith Olbermann* With all these facts, I concluded like a lot of people that the drivers available for Vista for do not support older hardware for more than just drawing windows.

Now if a driver release allows old GPU to run 3D apps on old hardware... good news. It means that more people with unproper hardware will "switch" and complain because they don't get the niiiiice transparent title bars like their neighbour do.

Now that the driver runs on old hardware on Vista could you post about it and share some benchmarks with the crowd. I'm seeking for your specs and results in 3DMark 2001 and Quake 3. It will be far more informative than just spitting on me. I'm use to it... I'm a arrogant french BIATCHE.

Christ I'm tired of people, PARTICULARY Fabrice Roux, making completely unfounded, bulls*** claims about things they know nothing about. I'm running Vista RTM x64 (build 6000; yes, it is the real thing) on my Compaq Presario R3000z with it's GeForce 4 440 Go 64M (most decidedly NOT "at least a GeForce FX") using XP 64-bit driver version 71.84 and I've had no trouble with "Vista 3D (DirectX or OpenGL)" including running Maya 8 64-bit and R.O.S.E. Online (which I assume uses D3D). Most importantly, although I'm NOT running Aero (but who *really* cares?), I find my desktop is MUCH more responsive (and better looking) than under XP, thus this: "Vista64 is a lost cause for anything less then a GeforceFX though" is patently FALSE.

q

Where did you find this driver for Vista64?

Also how did you install it? I was under the impression drivers had to be signed for Vista specifically or they won't install

Last time I installed Vista64 RTM there wasn't one available via Windows Update

EDIT: got it installed

Thanks for posting that, otherwise I would have thought I was stuck with 32 bit.

But the next questions is did you find card reader/touchpad drivers?

Edited by rudefyet

• 2 years later...

q

Hi quaestor

I have installed the 71.84 XP x64 driver on my laptop which is running Vista x64 using the modified inf. I have a Geforce4 448 Go. The device is recognised and seems to be running. However, I am having some problems with it:

1. Vista does not seem to recognise the 64mb video memory in the performace scan
  2. I can't enable OpenGL accelloration (i.e. Google Earth won't run in OpenGL Mode)
  3. The system is unstable and crashes when Direct3D graphics are displayed (e.g. Media Centre or Bliss Visualisation in WMP). At the moment this happens so much I can't realistically use the 71.84 driver.

Do you have any advice about how I may solve these problems?

Many thanks

andrew-in-woking

I have installed the 71.84 XP x64 driver on my laptop which is running Vista x64 using the modified inf.

[...]

Do you have any advice about how I may solve these problems?

Why such an old driver? Try 180.84.1.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22225

Hi Claw

Thanks for your advice. I may try this. I have actually managed to solve most of the problems by installing the 71.84 XP x64 driver again but this time using the original inf. I used the Have Disk method and during the installation I identified my display adaptor as a GeForce4 MX 460 as this seemed to be the closest match on the standard list.

I still can't enable OpenGL accelleration but the sysyem seems very stable, and I have 3D screen savers! Also I can use Media Centre and Google Earth without problems which is also great.

Thanks again

andrew-in-woking

Hi Claw

Sorry, I was being dumb, I only just realised what you were saying. For some reason, the 71.84 Win XP x64 driver is the ONLY driver that will make the GeForce4 448 Go work under Vista x64, unless you know otherwise. I've tried lots and lots of drivers and this is the only one I've got to work.

Thanks

andrew-in-woking