LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XPS Gen 2 + 97.02 = dead?

Sarah

This is annoying me no end; and whilst arguing with support staff about my laptop having Integrated video (it doesn't, it's on a daughterboard) and how Dell specifically makes their own graphics chips (geee, why do you ship NVIDIA drivers then huh?) but i figured I'd post here and see if anyone had a clue.

The laptop is a "friday afternoon" job, just over 12 months old and is on it's third graphics card. But, just after the engineer had been to fit this I notice windows is a wee bit 'chuggy', so I figure what the hell, it takes like 40min to do. Blast Windows, reinstall and slap on 97.02 with the modified INF.

nv4disp.dll errors, blue screens and some rather odd behaviour from games... makes me think I shouldn't be so bleeding edge; as does the fact Windows locks solid for a good 15seconds before allowing the mouse to move (seems to be whilst loading the Nvidia system tray icon/utility, the screen also blanks and redraws). Before I can do anything the laptop powers off. Dead.

And stays that way for 16 hours at which point it springs back in to life still unstable with nv4disp errors and the like. Ireplace the drivers with stock DELL ones and all is well on that front.

Is anyone else getting issues with 97.02 on a Go 6800 Ultra? Does anyone here think that the drivers could kill the laptop in this way or is it more likley that my logic board is stuffed and its all a nasty coincidence?

If the Dell drivers work just fine then use those, or newer dell drivers.

Sounds like 97.02 is just a bad driver on your card. (or just a very bad driver)

Which is nothing new, we have seen many faulty and beta/alpha drivers in the past.

Try something else, although I would guess your current Dell drivers would work just fine.

If the Dell drivers work just fine then use those, or newer dell drivers.

Sounds like 97.02 is just a bad driver on your card. (or just a very bad driver)

Which is nothing new, we have seen many faulty and beta/alpha drivers in the past.

Try something else, although I would guess your current Dell drivers would work just fine.

Tis the problem, the most current drivers dell provide are pretty appaling, lots of messed up textures in newer games that mysteriously went away when I used, I think a 90.xx.

Thing is, have you ever seen a bad driver stop a machine from POSTing though (i.e. won't power on, let alone load Windows) for 16 hours and magically 'poof' it boots again?